Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,982,268 times

Advertisements

I saw a brief mention of the Osher Institute of Lifelong Learning in the local paper. Do any of you guys go to this, and what do you think of it?

BTW, the article said the catalog for the 2011 fall session will be mailed in mid-August, for those who are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM

698 posts, read 1,048,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I saw a brief mention of the Osher Institute of Lifelong Learning in the local paper. Do any of you guys go to this, and what do you think of it?

BTW, the article said the catalog for the 2011 fall session will be mailed in mid-August, for those who are interested.

i attended the osher life long learning institute associated with university of delaware and have taught courses in writing there now for two semesters. i thoroughly enjoyed the course i took in english history, met some interesting people, and have loved teaching in their program as well. i will be teaching two writing courses again this sept. and, although i have enjoyed the summer break, i'm looking forward to returning to the classroom. i feel, as a student, it is a wonderful way to sample topics of interest that perhaps you haven't had an opportunity to explore before, but it is for many people a valuable source of socialization as well.
i'm not familiar with other osher programs in different locations but my experience as a student as well as an instructor has been nothing but positive.

catsy girl

Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,391,611 times
Here's a link- Lifelong learning opportunities at the University of Delaware

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks TBT. It's good to know there classes available like this just in case the winter gets a little lonesome. Might be a good way to make new friends, too.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thanks TBT. It's good to know there classes available like this just in case the winter gets a little lonesome. Might be a good way to make new friends, too.
Also, at Delaware State University, those 62 and over can attend classes tuition free.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,046 times
Did UD change their policy? I had checked this out before and it had been tuition-free for those over 60, rather than 62.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Did UD change their policy? I had checked this out before and it had been tuition-free for those over 60, rather than 62.
Not UD. DSU. (Go Hornets! )

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,046 times
Sorry, missed that detail, as I was still thinking of Osher, which is associated with UD. Anyway, I'll check it out again but I think in the case of UD you can go tuition-free at 60. You have to meet all other normal requirements for admission, and you still have to pay the various fees that aren't tuition per se. However, since UD's tuition seems quite steep to me (surprisingly so for state residents), it's a tremendous deal, especially for someone who might be interested in picking up another post-graduate degree. Apart from the age difference, I would guess that DelState has the same general policies. Osher's big centre is in Wilmington, just off Pennsylvania Avenue. Do they operate from any other venues?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM

I may be mistaken, but I got the impression they had a lot of classes in Lewes. There's also a small center right on the boardwalk for Rehoboth for one of the universities. I think it's UD but am not sure.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Sorry, missed that detail, as I was still thinking of Osher, which is associated with UD. Anyway, I'll check it out again but I think in the case of UD you can go tuition-free at 60. You have to meet all other normal requirements for admission, and you still have to pay the various fees that aren't tuition per se. However, since UD's tuition seems quite steep to me (surprisingly so for state residents), it's a tremendous deal, especially for someone who might be interested in picking up another post-graduate degree. Apart from the age difference, I would guess that DelState has the same general policies. Osher's big centre is in Wilmington, just off Pennsylvania Avenue. Do they operate from any other venues?
Actually, Osher Centers are available in over one hundred colleges all over the country. There is an Osher center in (I think) every state in the country. Here in NY, the Osher franchise is in Rochester. In Jersey, it's at Rutgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware