U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,149,665 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there is a risk of a major hurricane in DE? I know where we live now, they are real and we had experienced a pretty devasting one and I really never want to experience this again, so I was wondering if this was a real risk up that way and if there were any other risks? I know tornodos happen everywhere, but they are not as common up that way as they are here in Va, so any info will be greatly appreciated! We are still thinking bout DE, from what I keep finding out WA and OR, it sounds better each day! I was sooo excited bout west coast living, till I found out bout how expensive it is to live there, and Earthquakes, seems the big is due to hit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 AM

1,646 posts, read 4,460,976 times
PPN, I'm certainly not a weather prognosticator, but I'll take a shot at an opinion.

Any coastal area runs the risk of a hurricane. My family started going to Bethany Beach in the late 1950s. I've owned property there since 1989. (Yeah...I'm old. ) There have been hurricanes, but the major damage has come from Nor'Easters. There was a very bad storm in March of 1962.

There have been some minor hurricanes, and I was in residence for a couple of them. Not a huge deal. There's more worry about what *might* happen, but nothing that caused as much damage as the Nor'Easter. If you do a search online, you will probably find a lot about the '62 storm.

I think it was Isable in 2003 that was the biggest concern. I was back in PA....early September. I was at work and kept making cell calls to friends and my son who was at the beach. All they kept saying is that it wasn't that bad, and the Nor'Easters they'd been through were much worse.

Most of the tornado damage that I'm aware of happened more north around Smyrna. That was many years ago. The storms seem to form over the Bay and head east. I did see a water spout at the beach one summer.

I experienced a small tornado at the beach one summer (well maybe not small...luckily it only grazed the corner of our home) , but I also had the 'pleasure' of meeting up with one in York County, PA many years ago. There was a small earthquake there as well.

Historically, Delaware hasn't had bad hurricanes. Could it happen? Sure. The biggest problem would be getting people off of DelMarVa. Forecasters have better means of predicting than they did 75 years go, but the roads out of here would not be adequate for a major evacuation in a short period of time.

I guess what I'm saying is that weather phenomenon can exist anywhere. Check the history of DE weather. I don't think you will find it all that bad.

Gee, that was a long answer to a short question.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate your long answer to my short question...I guess I am a rather timid than most when it comes to natural disasters, I grew up where none pratically existed most my life, till bout 15 years or so ago, and it really was a huge change for me. I guess when you grew up in higher risk areas, you get used to it maybe? But I am having a hard time with the ideas, I am trying to get over that too!

We like the NW, but I keep hearnig it not if but its when the big one hits that they are all concerned bout. There is also not too many people on the threads over there who comment on it, one or two maybe. Sorta of like on here at times. Wow, you really experienced alot in you life too, glad to see you came out ok. Can you get insurance for these disasters on your home? I certainly hope so, cause Srymra will prolly be our home, or Lewes beach if we can luck out with a 250,000 home over that way...I really like the idea of the good district there and the beach...

I am guessing it would not be likely to have a hurricane there, but it could happen, but i think if you follow the forecast, and if you got out early, you might be one of the lucky ones? That I could do...just to be on the safe side maybe. I lived through a hurricane where I live now, it was a CAT2 when it landed, it took two weeks to get our power back, but we were wise to keep cash on hand and other supplies. People were horrible to each other, not fighting over food and other esstentials as most here are well off, but just nastiness with traffic, cause there were no operating singals on the roads, no power and kids home from school all day, guess people just lost it maybe...we tried to make the best of it and we stayed off the roads as much as we could, we helped our neighbor and they helped us...ice was rare and when it came in, it was out in a hour, but people shared where I lived.

Of course some used the disaster to their advantage and when the pumps did open up, some charged outrageous prices, even one restuarant in town, one of the few to have a back up generator double charge for cold drinks, wasn't lawful but he did it anyhow. Thanks again, I reminded now why, of the main reasons why we are moving here, just not so sure where we land, we are using headhunters and some good offers are sent our way, so we will just sit tight and hope for the best, but i am now def leaning towards the DE offer now, I just don't think I want to die in the soon to come big one (9.0) that everyone is talking bout out west. Most can't stand the weather i hear, to me I find it tolerable, at times even great, the sun really does alot of damage to fair skinned people like myself, so that gloomy overcast would be fine with me, but they do have such beauty out west, its truly magnificant...just don't know bout those volcanoes and earthquakes!

Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM

669 posts, read 2,941,649 times
Delaware is not usually a place where hurricanes are a worry.

YES, they can and have happened. But NO, they do not happen regularly or frequently at all. Delaware as a whole is pretty free of natural disasters. Tornadoes, hurricanes and quakes can and have occurred but as a whole it's pretty safe.

The downside? For most people, there's not much to do there.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Good to hear!

I do not need night life or malls to be content. I would like a B&N but I can also buy books online, I really just want to live in safe area, no drugs or high crime. We want to have a home, that is nice and livable, not a shoebox and we love the outdoors, so if this offer works out, we are highly considering it now! Thanks for your comments!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,358,490 times
Any coastal area along the east coast can be hit by a hurricane. Up here in Connecticut- we had the Great New England hurricane of 1938- and others since then not quite has lethal.

With climate change heating the ocean- it can objectively reasoned that in the future Delaware and Connecticut will likely become more vulnerable. New England 'juts out' into the Atlantic- and storms moving up the coast make us a bulls eye.

Insurance costs will become higher for homeowners in coastal locations.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 AM

25 posts, read 127,869 times
Hi PPNative,

You know how I feel about this state BUT I'd like to give you some reassurance in this regard! (Don't faint!) In more than 20 years, we've never sustained any damage related to a hurricane! I know that there's been some flooding and beach erosion in Sussex County associated with storms, but up here in Kent County and southern New Castle County, we're kind of tucked in across the Delaware Bay from New Jersey, so the coast in this area isn't on the ocean, but on the bay. (Check a map.) I think this can have a protective effect.

Lewes is situated just where the bay becomes ocean. Rehoboth (and south) are on the ocean. Most of the problems they've had over the years seem to have been associated with nor'Easters coming up the coast. (Rockky mentioned this.) Dover, Smyrna, Magnolia, etc., are affected by such storms as well, but for us anyway, heavy rain and wind has not done significant damage during all these years.

In one part of Dover, perhaps 10-12 years ago, there was a micro-burst associated with a thunderstorm that knocked down a lot of trees. Some houses got hit. No injuries that I'm aware of. Occasionally, there are small tornados, and a couple times they've flipped trailers. I know of one death.

For the most part, from my point of view anyway, the most feared aspect of our weather here is the long, hot, humid summer, though with global warming, who knows what's likely to happen?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
With climate change heating the ocean- it can objectively reasoned that in the future Delaware and Connecticut will likely become more vulnerable. New England 'juts out' into the Atlantic- and storms moving up the coast make us a bulls eye.

Insurance costs will become higher for homeowners in coastal locations.
This was a prediction from a few years ago. I was wondering if this is indeed what happened? Did insurance rates go up and are hurricanes now more likely?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 PM

604 posts, read 1,775,345 times
OP:
Delaware topography is such that very few universal statements are applicable ton the whole state. From afar one needs to know that north of the Canal is piedmont formation - constitutes areas with rolling hills and south of the Canal is mostly flat plain .... in coastal ares flooding is frequent compared to the hurricanes.. and the winds are such that hurricanes travel from the VA coast to NJ coast without entering DE bay ...so the extreme southern DE coast may get exposed to hurricanes if at all..

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 AM

7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
Nor'easters, here lately, have been more harmful to our state, mostly the coastline, moreso than hurricanes. We haven't had a direct hurricane hit in recent years, but I remember when we had a few fringes of hurricanes hit us, some very strong ones.

One of the scariest hurricanes I've experienced here in Delaware was in October, 1954 when we felt the rath of Hurricane Hazel, also not a direct hit. While not a lot of water, winds and gusts were 90-100 mph. We frantically boarded up all of the windows in our home upon receiving the warning, which came from storm watchers going from door to door, since our power was out. In those days, our parents kept "hurricane plyboard" on hand in the garage. In seconds, the first big gust of wind wiped out our windows, and plyboard went flying. The second gust turned over our car. In Dover, the National Guard Armory, a huge structure, was demolished from those winds. I hope I never see one like that again.

Here's a Dewey Beach link on Nor'easters.
Storms of the Past

About insurance costs, it goes without saying that flood insurance is required by mortgage lenders if a property lies within a designated flood area. These areas are not limited just to the coastline of Delaware. If you google FEMA, there's a place to insert an address and that will show if the property is in a designated flood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware