U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 AM

377 posts, read 990,345 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any fun events (fair, parades, concerts, etc) in the Newark/Bear area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 AM

12,589 posts, read 27,961,163 times
I'll let the Northerners come up with something for New Castle County, but the Delaware State Fair was always a fun thing to do when I was growing up in Milford: Delaware State Fair - July 23-Aug 1, 2009 - Welcome Looks like David Cook is playing there on July 27 and then coming up my way to do Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:32 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,275,375 times
I'm not up on events in Newark and Bear. There's loads of festivals throughout the summer months in Wilmington, as well as some events in old New Castle. Today's Wilmington News-Journal has a good supplement section on all the summer stuff. However, my real reason for this post was to commend my favorite thing in DE, which is the absolute beauty of the coutryside and woods north of Wilmington. The whole Greenville, Montchanin, Centreville, Yorklyn area is incredibly lovely. If you live in this part of the state, it's well worth many drives. If you're going up to various destinations across the state line in PA there are different backroads like Rt 100 that you can take, as well as backroads that will get you from Greenville/Montchanin to Hockessin through deep woods, past streams, over winding and hilly roadways, past old barns and spring houses and incredible mansions. So much of this countryside is something straight out of an Andrew Wyeth or N.C. Wyeth painting -- of course, the Brandywine Valley has been the subject matter of these great American painters. The wildlife - deer, foxes, geese, ground hogs, and tiny elusive ground squirrels are another aspect of this small jewel of northern DE. A good way to see a bit of it BTW is to take the old steam train of the Wilmington and Western Railroad for a round trip from its station off Kirkwood Hwy. Also, the botanical research centre and mansion of Mt. Cuba is nestled in this stunning country amid woods and steep hills, and makes for an excellent, informative visit.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM

177 posts, read 603,341 times
Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell everybody about how nice Delaware is, we want to keep it the way it is!

Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Indeed, I would like to keep it the way it is. However, unless the legislature passes a law to keep the tax refugees from NJ out, I'm afraid the population and developed areas will grow inexorably. The watchwords needs to be controlled development and conservation.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,265 times
Default elizamary

I've been down to Southern Meadow at least 3 times now. Know what model we want, etc., just waiting for our house to sell. I met a few people there, but never ran across you. I was there the day of the "Yard Sale". Would have liked to have met you. Of course, should have told you that before I was there.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,535,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosecretary View Post
I've been down to Southern Meadow at least 3 times now. Know what model we want, etc., just waiting for our house to sell. I met a few people there, but never ran across you. I was there the day of the "Yard Sale". Would have liked to have met you. Of course, should have told you that before I was there.
Hi Akosecretary......

I was there that day. Didn't sell anything cuz we got rid of all our junk before we moved. But I did go around buying from neighbors.
We had visitors so we got a late start.

What model and lot did you pick? Good luck with selling your home.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM

376 posts, read 877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The watchwords needs to be controlled development and conservation.
Absolutely! I agree.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,963,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Indeed, I would like to keep it the way it is. However, unless the legislature passes a law to keep the tax refugees from NJ out, I'm afraid the population and developed areas will grow inexorably.
How about us refugees from New York? Care to ban us as well?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Seriously, my thought is this: DE can only benefit from controlled and well-managed development and it should keep its tax structure pretty much as it has been, i.e. low residential property tax and maintain the transfer tax on real estate that has been such a boon to the state in the past. I would like to see DE emphasise quality of environment and quality of life as linked goals -- you can't have one without the other. The proliferation of state parks and green areas is essential, as well as the preservation of areas of working farmland and animal agriculture (sheep and cattle ranching in limited areas). There is still time to create a paradise here, though our time is running out. So yeah, to tax refugees from the rest of the east coast, by all means come; but please demand from politicians here at all levels the responsible management of our resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or