Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Favorite thing.........Cape Henlopen State Park
and also the little town of Lewes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM

23 posts, read 50,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thanks anniebleu, I've been in Delaware for at least 20 yrs, I can remember first moving to DE and living in Glasgow, since that time Newark , Glasgow , Bear area has exploded. I thought it would be a good idea for any one thinking on vistiting or moving into the area to see what there is here.
For some one coming to the web site and clicking on Delaware, To see "Is Delaware really so boring" What a turnoff. For someone who's single, no maybe not for them.

Elton John was at the Carpenter Center in Newark last year. That's a pretty big deal for Delaware. There are things to do here depending on the season. I hope a few folks who have done something here they've really enjoyed will contribute to the thread. We'll see.
Hi Virgod, I very much like reading positive feedback on locations throughout this beautiful country and I know each State has its ups and its downs, but I do prefer speaking with positive thinking people with their glasses half full types. I have lived in Maryland for 34-years, originally a farm boy out of Parisville, Michigan. I married the love of my life - a sweet southern lady from the High Point/Greensboro NC area and my real life started after living in MD with my Ann these 27-years. We are now retired and enjoying the fruits of life, but alas MD is not a friendly retiree living state. Taxes are incredibly high with MD being the 3rd highest in the Country. Unfortunately the ammenities aren't as good in the Charles County, MD. We love the weather here though, and DE is very much like MD in that respect, but that may be where the similarities end. Can you please share with us more about Kent County? We both are extremely active in cycling (comfort bikes - thank you very much) and I am an avid tennis player. We both are into water aerobics as well. We are in search of a community not far from metropolitan glitz of NY, Philly Baltimore and DC, loving the arts and theatre, but also thrive in the peaceable way you describe Kent County.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Tarwolve - This thread was started 4 years ago, by the original poster, Virgode.

Things have certainly changed in Delaware, within the last 4 years, and notwithstanding, my 73 years here. I think we bragged too much about Delaware. Retirees are flocking here, for the very reasons you mentioned. Cheap real estate taxes is the biggest draw. Transplants have been flocking here since the 40's, because of it's close proximity, as you said, to Philly, NY, D.C. and other metro areas. Since Delaware is 96 miles long, and 47 miles wide at the widest point, it's easy to get to any area. I'd advise you to make the trip, and explore for 2-3 days at a time, county by county. We have 3 of those, New Castle, Kent, and Sussex.

I believe my lifetime here has seen the best of Delaware, which was a very well kept secret. With progress comes change, which is both good and bad. So, I have mixed feelings about the Delaware I have known and loved, and what it is quickly becoming.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 PM

494 posts, read 804,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Tarwolve - This thread was started 4 years ago, by the original poster, Virgode.

Things have certainly changed in Delaware, within the last 4 years, and notwithstanding, my 73 years here. I think we bragged too much about Delaware. Retirees are flocking here, for the very reasons you mentioned. Cheap real estate taxes is the biggest draw. Transplants have been flocking here since the 40's, because of it's close proximity, as you said, to Philly, NY, D.C. and other metro areas. Since Delaware is 96 miles long, and 47 miles wide at the widest point, it's easy to get to any area. I'd advise you to make the trip, and explore for 2-3 days at a time, county by county. We have 3 of those, New Castle, Kent, and Sussex.

I believe my lifetime here has seen the best of Delaware, which was a very well kept secret. With progress comes change, which is both good and bad. So, I have mixed feelings about the Delaware I have known and loved, and what it is quickly becoming.
Fabulous post! I couldn't agree more with everything you stated. For such a small state it offers a ton. Reasons why it is called the SMALL WONDER!

Have everything from urban city type living to small town, to country, to coastal resorts. Hard to beat the taxes as well. Thus what i liked about Delaware. Thing is you don't have to drive far for a nice change of scenery either. Even have a awesome forest which i don't see mentioned too often in the southern part of the state. Anyone ever take a drive through that? If not you should.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Even have a awesome forest which i don't see mentioned too often in the southern part of the state. Anyone ever take a drive through that? If not you should.
Harry let's try to keep some serets. Don't need a bunch of city folks to come down to try hunting.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Fabulous post! I couldn't agree more with everything you stated. For such a small state it offers a ton. Reasons why it is called the SMALL WONDER!
Thank you, Harry. Yes, Delaware has been my lifetime home, and we "oldies" are both proud and protective of our State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Harry let's try to keep some serets. Don't need a bunch of city folks to come down to try hunting.
longnecker - would they know a groundhog from a pig?

Here's how, I believe, life is in Delaware today:
There are now, 2 groups of people here with 2 schools of thought, each with different ideas about their favorite Delaware things -
1) the long time residents and natives, and
2) the newcomers.

1) the long time residents and natives are trying to be cordial, adapt to newcomers' city ways, appreciate growth, while watching our farm land disappear and beaches being abused. For the most part, they would like growth to level off. But realistically, it's a run-away train. Yes, we bragged too much.

2) the newcomers (some, not all) love the low real estate taxes and senior discounts, but before living here 6 months, complain about no public transportation, high price of groceries, and absence of their favorite grocery store chain which was in the state they left. They have come to help us, and want to change the face of Delaware. (speaking in generalities, of course).

Hopefully, in time, we oldies will be able to adapt to more change, and hopefully, newcomers will become more sensitive to what long time residents and natives hold dear. The combination might result in all of us hanging on to what we consider are our favorite things about Delaware.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM

71 posts, read 205,418 times
rdlr, I appreciate your candor. I imagine it is difficult to balance posterity and change. I, for one, am looking forward to our time in DE. As a newcomer, I look forward to changing absolutely nothing about DE!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictulips View Post
rdlr, I appreciate your candor. I imagine it is difficult to balance posterity and change. I, for one, am looking forward to our time in DE. As a newcomer, I look forward to changing absolutely nothing about DE!
And you will be welcomed with open arms! I believe it's difficult for both groups of people. For the newcomer, moving to another new area is exciting, but also must be challenging. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Old New Castle.

Sorry, but DE is boring compared to its sister states MD and PA. I was born, raised, and lived in DE for 25 years. I don't think I'd ever move back, even for family.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Well, Delaware is thankfully more progressive than its "sister state" (???) of Pennsyltucky, aka Philadelphia and Pittsburg with Alabama in between; and it is less expensive and congested than Maryland.

I'm not sure about newcomers wanting to change things about Delaware. Living in northern New Castle County, I don't find much fault with the place. Shortcomings are more related to the typical American city-and-burbs of this particular size, and aren't especially unique to Delaware. I do wish we had our own tv station up here so I didn't have to listen to the news and weather out of Philly.

Is it maybe different in lower Delaware because more newcomers tend to move there, and are probably undergoing a more radical change of lifestyle relative to more urbanised places that they moved from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware