U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 86,535 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with Christian Schools in Greater Wilmington, Newark area? Is Concord Christian Academy good?

Thanks...any feedback or experience you've had with local Christian schools would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
I know families who have sent their children to Wilmington Christian and also Red Lion Christian Academy. While I have no first-hand knowledge of the schools, I do know that the children who attended these schools loved going to school and received an excellent education. I believe Wilmington Christian is in Hockessin, and Red Lion Academy is in Bear.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Thanks for your response, SXM -- about how long of a drive, realistically (and how many miles) from Foulk and Marsh Rd. area to each of those schools...any clue? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,292,961 times
Neither school is at all close to those address coordinates and there is in both cases likely some conflict with rush hours broadly defined, i.e. even in the afternoon the traffic really starts building from about 3.00 when schools start getting out and the big fleets of school buses start clogging the roads, amongst other sources of congestion. Driving a normal speed at the best of times, I would think you would be looking at a good 25 mins to Hockessin (remember, I said NOT speeding or driving aggressively) and at least 35 mins to Bear (though Bear has the potential to be a much longer journey than that and much greater aggro).

There are Christian schools much closer to that address BTW: they are called Catholic schools.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
I agree with doctorjef that both of these schools are too far from your location. However, I have a friend who moved to Whitemarsh Maryland and still drove his kids to Red Lion Academy. Is it that good? I don't know, but the kids loved going to school there. From Foulk to Red Lion, it is easily 30 minutes in traffic. I am estimating, but I live south of the school, and it takes me 45 minutes to get to Philly airport. Your traffic in the morning will not just be commuters but also school buses, and no one likes to be in back of them. doctorjef could probably tell you how long it would take to get to Wilm. Christian. For a quality education, that probably is not too far.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM

If Wilmington Xian is in Hockessin, as I said, I think that is likely to be a good 25 mins if you aren't speeding or driving aggressively. Could take longer at times of day when there is greater traffic congestion. From North Wilmington to Bear is really beyond the pale for a routine drive IMO, and from North Wilmington to Hockessin is still going to the other side of the world, relatively speaking for distances in greater Wilmington. Others may disagree, but you would be driving from the burbs on one side of Wilmington to burbs on another end. I would consider the fuel cost, your carbon footprint, the amount of extra time required five days a week, the increased risk of being involved in a traffic accident, and the fatigue factor. Unless you are one of those people who think nothing of getting in the car for an extended unnecessary commute (but people perhaps should think about the implications of that), this drive on an habitual basis is going to be anything from purgatorial to downright hellish.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 AM

I see, per your post code, that you live in far south Fort Worth. I'm familiar with that area and I daresay you're quite used to driving all over creation to get anywhere, so you probably wouldn't be put off by having to drive all over greater Wilmington.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks! Oh...BTW, jef -- I wasn't looking specifically for catholic schools. But thanks for correcting me and telling me what I meant. I was looking for a christian non-denominational school.

On another note, yes...I am used to driving long distances...but would like to stop doing that, it does get old, like you said and wastes a lot of time, money and creates a larger than needed carbon footprint.

Over and out.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,795,930 times
I have no feed back on Concord Christian Acadamy academically, it's in a nice area. I've never heard anything bad about the school, which is a good sign. People will always talk about the bad before the good. I think, I saw in another post you'll be living around Marsh and Foulk Road, based on that your looking at 10-15 min. drive. Marsh Road turns into Zebly after you cross Naamans Road.

Another is Fairwinds Baptist Christian School, I know little about the school itself, located in Bear, off of route #40. Your looking at a 1.5 in time round trip. The traffic going south in the morning is not to bad, you may hit a bit more traffic coming North. Afternoons, plan on more time.

Another is in New Castle area, New Castle Christian Academy, over Route #141. I know of someone who did go there all through school, said he love it and went on to a great college. Much shorter trip from North Wilmington area less than an hour round trip.

Also, not knowing the age of your children, I should mention Carrcroft and Lombardy Elementary schools in Brandywine School District have excellent reputations.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks, Virgo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware