U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

10 posts, read 32,623 times

Advertisements

We are also from New Jersey and have moved to the Newark, Delaware/Elkton, Maryland border area. This area is really starting to grow! I agree, realtors are swaying folks farther south. We just happen to like being closer to New Jersey, Philly and New York. It feels a little more like "home"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM

22 posts, read 82,294 times
Hi All,
We are also from NJ and considering if we really want to relocate; my question is has anyone considered just one spouse moving and the other spouse remaining in NJ? Both of us work, the house is paid for. kids are grown and I am not sure about giving up a job where I can retire with a pension within the next 3 -4 years. Also, we are both very active in our community and church.
I am sure I am not the only working spouse with a great job (one that you like) that pays well enough to allow you the SIMPLE independent pleasures w/o going to the hubby. After all these years I am not really interested in returning to the SAHW role, while he is on travel. I support my husband's career choices as he does mine SIGH. So, we are canvassing the areas as well to see what will be an easier ride every other weekend.
Perhaps I should start another post/support group for those who are considering splitting households.

Last edited by NotSureYet; 08-11-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM

604 posts, read 1,776,349 times
Realtors are swaying to down south because they, probably, misread NJ residents to be only wanting to be near the beach without giving practical consideration of everyday commute to APG much importance. Many out of staters - but not Sandee1213 - who have moved to Delaware have moved to lower 2/3 as you can figure out on this forum.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM

377 posts, read 992,173 times
Not Sure Yet- I have heard of others in your position. I know of someone that is looking to rent a condo for a couple years and come on the weekends until they can retire. I also know of someone who has kids in hs and wants to wait till they finish so the wife is staying behind till all the kids are done with school. I am a Stay at home mom so I did not really have a profession I was leaving. I did leave a great church, but I am church shopping hear now. If it is only a couple of years maybe splitting households would work, my husband has like 25 years before retirement. good luck

Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 82,294 times
Default Thanks Sandee1213

[" I did leave a great church, but I am church shopping hear now. If it is only a couple of years maybe splitting households would work, my husband has like 25 years before retirement. good luck"]

Finding a new church is so important it adds a certain stability in your social life when coming to a new place. Our true retirement date is about 7 years away, but I can stop earlier on my job.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM

200 posts, read 506,356 times
One thing to consider if thinking of moving to DE and working in Aberdeen is income taxes. MD does not have a reciprocal tax agreement with DE like with other neighboring states. That means you'll have to fill out a Maryland nonresident income tax return every year in addition to your Delaware return.

You'll be able to take a credit on your Delaware income taxes for the taxes paid to Maryland so it will not result in double taxation, but you will essentially end up paying the higher of the two state's income taxes for your situation.

This might be a significant consideration for some people.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 AM

We also learned that Md takes out a lot more for taxes in my husband's paycheck than NJ did. We knew there would be a pay decrease, because of locality, but had no idea about the taxes.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:09 AM

604 posts, read 1,776,349 times
Just filing another state tax return is probably the only hassle for living in DE and working in MD, far better than paying another state tax. You only have to pay tax to whichever state has it higher. And consider other advantages like lower property taxes, no sales tax etc.etc.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,406 times
Default 2009 BRAC and Beyond Business Conference

Please be sure to register and attend the upcoming BRAC and Beyond Business Conference. The conference will be held on October 30, 2009 at the Chase Center on the Riverfront in Wilmington, Delaware. Go to this link for additional information about the conference: 2009 BRAC & Beyond Business Conference (http://www.dedo.delaware.gov/brac/brac2009.shtml - broken link)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has moved to De. or are considering De. with the Brac. I know most people are going to Harford County, Md, but thought I would see if anyone is considering De.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or