Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,916,601 times

Advertisements

You see, lenniel, the good folk of the First State have no sympathy for your childish behaviour! Fifty lashes with a wet noodle and no bedtime beer for you, boy!

Some posters here seriously need to adjust their irony meters.

What is Dewey good for if not a place to segregate all the drunken twenty-somethings in the state. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,440,167 times
Good grief, lets not take that away from them, their already complaining there's nothing to do here for singles.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM

53 posts, read 320,967 times
Quote:
You see, lenniel, the good folk of the First State have no sympathy for your childish behaviour! Fifty lashes with a wet noodle and no bedtime beer for you, boy!

Some posters here seriously need to adjust their irony meters.

What is Dewey good for if not a place to segregate all the drunken twenty-somethings in the state. Sheesh!
Dewey is definitely a fun place to go, and I wouldn't want to see it changed to a family oriented town. It's an experience and almost a rite of passage that I hope my kids will enjoy when they get older. If twenty somethings want to get blitzed out of their minds and have fun while doing so, I'll support them.
That being said, there are a lot of a--hole drunks that wonder the town (not directed at you lenniel). The laws that are in place are there to curb the problems associated with drunken behavior. Fighting, disorderly conduct, public urination, criminal mischief just to name a few. That type of behavior ruins it for those twenty somethings looking to have a good time in a responsible manner.
So should the Dewey Beach Police ignore the laws on the books to keep twenty somethings contained in a geographic location? Officer discretion goes a long way. I'm not going to second guess the officer that issued the citation. I was not there.

The original OP wanted to know what will happen if the ticket is ignored. I let the OP know what will and may happen. I don't make the laws regarding punishment nor am I making a judgment about his behavior.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 AM

So, this discussion might be seen as the Delaware version of the following thread on a certain Texas subforum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ed-austin.html

That would suggest that we're lucky to be living in Delaware and the OP was fortunate not to get stopped in Austin. Proof that things can always be worse (also an object lesson in what happens when an intemperate driver encounters an intemperate cop).

Last edited by doctorjef; 06-30-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,627,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Got a ticket from a cop on a mountain being for walking with a beer. I think the ticket is like $200 which is absolutely crazy for an open container offense.

I don't live in DE or even on the East coast and it could be many years before I even visit DE again. Should I just blow it off? If I got pulled over for speeding in Michigan for example, would that ticket show up with a warrant?

Sorry about your mishap and thanks for sharing.

just goes to show you while visiting another state, we should inquire about rules and guidelines. Something we dont' think of but should.

I had gotten a speeding ticket on the chesapeake bay bridge 2 years ago
It was in VA and we took care of it by mail. I think I could have went and contest it but I knew I was wrong and just paid it.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,007,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Sorry about your mishap and thanks for sharing.

just goes to show you while visiting another state, we should inquire about rules and guidelines. Something we dont' think of but should.

I had gotten a speeding ticket on the chesapeake bay bridge 2 years ago
It was in VA and we took care of it by mail. I think I could have went and contest it but I knew I was wrong and just paid it.
I guess the thing that annoys me is that I was just walking to the bars and literally didn't even think twice that I was carrying a beer. The cop pulls up on his bike (within about 3 seconds there were 2 or 3 more there to assist but when they realized I wasn't going to cause any problems, they left) and he could have just asked if I knew there was a law against open container and simply told me to get rid of it. Then again, I realize Dewey probably makes a ton of money from these types of offenses. If I had been uncooperative or doing something that warranted a serious punishment, I could understand but I guess I was an easy target.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,007,899 times
OK, thanks for all the comments, advice, critiques, etc.
I called the court and the women said the only way the judge would consider reducing the fine is to set a court date and come out to see him (aint gonna happen).

So, like a good Chicagoan who's used to paying ridiculous fees for everything from my cable, cell phone and parking meters to neighborhood parking stickers, real estate transfer stamp and 10.25% sales tax (should I go on....), I bit the bullet and sent a check for $200. The fine was $200 and they add in $50 court cost for a total of $250. But since I'm not using the court, my little protest is to withhold the $50. If they want to spend the time, effort and resources to chase me around for that, then I'll be impressed.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM

I'll be happy for this thread to die, but I just gotta say that if they automatically assess court costs, whether or not you challenge the ticket, then you may well be sabotaging yourself and your payment of 200.00 by not paying the extra 50.00. Best of luck, but they might still behave as though you've failed to pay.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,440,167 times

Quote:
OK, thanks for all the comments, advice, critiques, etc.
I called the court and the women said the only way the judge would consider reducing the fine is to set a court date and come out to see him (aint gonna happen).

So, like a good Chicagoan who's used to paying ridiculous fees for everything from my cable, cell phone and parking meters to neighborhood parking stickers, real estate transfer stamp and 10.25% sales tax (should I go on....), I bit the bullet and sent a check for $200. The fine was $200 and they add in $50 court cost for a total of $250. But since I'm not using the court, my little protest is to withhold the $50. If they want to spend the time, effort and resources to chase me around for that, then I'll be impressed.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,543 times
Quote:
Sorry about that, I meant a mountain bike. I was pretty well lubricated at the time I got the ticket and supposed I could have easily been taken in for public intox but I was cooperative and did my best sales job trying to talk my way out of it but the guy wouldn't budge. I suppose it's an expensive lesson learned but I think I will take the advice to call the municipality, maybe plead unemployment and ask for a reduction to $100 or something like that. I'd still like to know if they can get me for anything outside of DE since it wasn't a moving violation, DUI, bail jumping, felony or anything like that.
Sounds to me like you just made the argument for paying your steep $200 ticket. Making a live court appearance and begging for mercy from the judge often results in a reduced citation. But if the extra fact that you were "well lubricated" is raised before the judge, he/she may be less inclined to knock the fine down. Given that you are out of state and it would be difficult for you to travel to your scheduled court appearance, I would pay the fine and be done with it. Even though it is pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware