U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 AM

838 posts, read 1,017,649 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently work and rent in Chester County, PA, and am considering buying a townhome in the low $100's in DE when my lease is up. The town that looks most appealing to me in Newark, DE. I wanted to advice on a few things in particular:

1.) What would the commute be like from Newark to Malvern/Paoli area? I don't mind long commutes but would it be grueling?

2.) I am an early 30's DWF without children looking for a quiet area to live with a community feel - more of a small town than a suburb or city. Some activities I enjoy in my spare time is outdoor activities (swimming, going to the beach, hiking, fishing), dining out, volunteering, and just sitting around relaxing. On the other hand, I am looking to go out a bit and make friends, and looking for social activities and opportunities to meet people and date, as well as a good church. Would Newark, or any other Delware community, fit my criteria?

3.) Are people friendly in Newark, DE?

4.) Safety - is Newark and other communities in DE mostly on the safe side?

5.) If I decide to change jobs down the road, how is ease of commuting to other job-populated area in Maryland, DE and PA from Newark?

6.) Finally, what kind of amenities are available in Newark? I've been downtown a couple times before, but I don't remember seeing many grocery stores and such

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM

604 posts, read 1,778,762 times
Newark fits all your concerns (2,3,4,5,6) even the grocery store one - if you own a car the supermarkets are within a 1 to 1.5 mile driving distance from Main St.. As to the driving time between Malvern and Newark - it is not grueling but it is time consuming.

Instead of the price of the home it will be prudent to aim for a monthly payment - allow for 10-15% higher payment for mortgage than the rent you are paying - the reduced taxes will allow you to do that. This will allow you the flexibility in the decision-making.

You may want to be open-minded about other areas if only to reduce your commute.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,115,173 times
As for grocery stores, there's a Pathmark in the College Square shopping center that's walkable from Main St.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
Newark fits all your concerns (2,3,4,5,6) even the grocery store one - if you own a car the supermarkets are within a 1 to 1.5 mile driving distance from Main St.. As to the driving time between Malvern and Newark - it is not grueling but it is time consuming.

Instead of the price of the home it will be prudent to aim for a monthly payment - allow for 10-15% higher payment for mortgage than the rent you are paying - the reduced taxes will allow you to do that. This will allow you the flexibility in the decision-making.

You may want to be open-minded about other areas if only to reduce your commute.
Hmmm, good point...any other areas you would recommend which are closer to PA? Delware is kinda new to me. Thanks so much for your help so far!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
As for grocery stores, there's a Pathmark in the College Square shopping center that's walkable from Main St.
Wow - walkable! That sounds very convenient!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 PM

604 posts, read 1,778,762 times
Just in case U were not aware, Delaware is not setup like PA i.e. towns don't merge into each other. In fact there are very few towns and therefore they are very rarely connected. That is not to say that there is no man's land in between them but those areas are governed by the County which has a well organized, stable land use department. New Castle County govt. is recognized to be one of the best in the country with several National County Govt. Association awards to show for.

Before I could suggest other areas it would be helpful if you could think through and come up with the housing expense number. From other threads on this forum you may have gathered that in New Castle Co. the property taxes are low, there is no sales tax, and the state income tax is not on the gross income but on the adjusted income.

BTW, that Pathmark in College Square shopping center will require a walk of about a mile - lugging your groceries - to any home you might like to buy, in my opinion -- pcity, I am trying not to be disagreeable - just expressing my opinion as a passing thought.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:44 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post

I agree here, although I don't want to steer the OP, if I were single
Newark wouldn't be my choice.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
[/b]

I agree here, although I don't want to steer the OP, if I were single
Newark wouldn't be my choice.
Where would you suggest? Keep in mind - I'm not your typical single (am not interested in nightlife, drinking or bars). Finding a good church with other singles, hiking/walking opportunities, book clubs, and volunteering are more of what I do as a single person.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
My personal preference would be the Trolley Square area.
Delaware/Pennsylvania Ave. Trendy area for single 20-30
somethings. Rockford Park, Bellevue State Park in North Wilmington
probably more volunteer oportunities in Wilmington area. Just
as many places to shop. Concord Mall, Brandywine Town Center,
Shopping route 202, 2 great YMCA locations. Plus, we have a
Target here N. Wilmington!!

In general theres not alot of nite life in DE, probably more
in Newark area than Wilmington, for the college crowd.
I noticed you mentioned you don't mind the commute. Traffic
going south on 95, 4-6 pm isn't the best, as a matter of fact
Newark traffic in general differs greatly from Wilmington area.
Alot closer to Chester County too.

It's worth checking out, but if it's not for you, that's fine.
Didn't know how familiar you are with Delaware.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,318,057 times
I tend to agree with Virgode. Trolley is a bit more urban, but not very urban. Nothing in DE is very urban!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware