U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,639,033 times
Default whats it like in delaware?

hey
was wondering what delaware is like
the ppl weather cheapest housing ( no projects )schools pre-k and up
jobs in a diner/bar/store
things for kids to do holidays/festivals/parades any beaches/lakes/pools
towns to look into with cheap motels to stay at
any links to site or news papers that have job,apartment and events listings
feel free to p.m. me

and i greatly appreciate any information that you could give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 PM

20 posts, read 49,829 times
Default A little bit about Delaware...

Well its not too too bad of a place. THe housing market is very expensive up North, but Smyrna and below are not too bad. The further south you go the better the school districts too. Middletown is a little pricey, but the Appoquinok School district is excellent. There is also Caesar Rodney in Dover that i have heard wonderful things about.
The state is only about 3 hours long from the top to the bottom so you are never farther then that when heading to the beach, which is great. My favorite is Fenwick Island (for Family fun), Dewey Beach for College fun
We are a state for banks so there are a ton of jobs...however you should probably expect to get bought out!
I will PM you a few resources that should be helpful. Please let me know what else I can help you with!!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,026,817 times
Thumbs up Go Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren11 View Post
Caesar Rodney in Dover that i have heard wonderful things about.

Caesar Rodney High School! We were State Football Champs back in 1983...my freshman year

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 24,034 times
Delaware is the 1st State to Ratify the Constitution.

It is a small state w/loads of financial institutions and industrial businesses.
We are a tax-free shopping state.

We live in New Castle County, where real estate is plentiful and mid-range. If you head toward Kent and Sussex Counties, the prices may be lower (heading south you're heading toward the beaches). During the summer jobs are plentiful they for someone in the entertaining field.

The public schools are generally good for education and getting help for children, if need be. We no longer have bussing in Delaware so you are able to chose a public school. If you need a bus to go to school, there is no charge.

Plenty of private and religious schools. They come w/a price for the education, as well as the bus.

Good luck,

Last edited by oceankey; 05-02-2007 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-03-2007, 11:46 AM

460 posts, read 1,609,990 times
Tax free is great. Retirees seem to love Newark and Hockessin. I did not move there for a few reasons. Do not take anything I say at face value do your own research. There is lots of crime. The police are very nonchalant about handling police calls. There are large populations of project like developments right around the corner from expensive homes. Middletown was the heroin capital of DE for many years. I am sure there are nice developments, the ones I looked at in the late 200's and early 300's did not have much land with them. For schools the Brandywine school district or NOT at all. Greenville, and North Delaware provide the best flavor for upscale neighborhoods. To me everything below that is an expensive home built in the wrong place. Come on down and take a look, but do your homework before you do. Get crime statistics, school report cards and ask people who live there. For me it was a definite NO.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:23 PM

957 posts, read 2,228,313 times
Real estate IS NOT cheap in Sussex County. I find real estate anywhere in DE overpriced. I'm not sure about the comment on there being industry here. It must be north of Dover. There is nothing South of Dover as far as industry, or jobs in that capacity. I'm self employed and find that people want you to work for nothing. That is most likely because they are working for almost nothing.

That said, I do like it here. I live on the water though. If not for the beach house, I'd be gone.

Ross

Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,110,844 times
Ross is correct. Real estate in eastern Sussex County is very expensive. Jobs are almost exclusively in the service industry and are low paying. You can make money in season working in higher end restaurants, but the cost of living in a beach area wipes it out.

Plus, you need to keep in mind that if the tourists don't come, the money isn't there. Bad weather, gas prices, etc. have an effect on the worker's income. A week at the beach isn't as affordable as it once was. The average family doesn't have the disposable income they had a few years ago.

A professional in the medical or legal fields will fare better.

There is work in the trades/home improvement/home maintenance sort of thing.

Industry? The only thing I can think of is the chicken industry and that has moved on down the peninsula toward Salisbury and south. There is the Vlasic Pickle plant in Millsboro.

However, if you look at real estate further inland, Seaford/Laural/rural farm land, you will find lower prices. Even these areas are being touted as 'near the beach', and prices are rising.

My biggest interest now is in whether or not the Indian River Bridge will be replaced before it is closed for safety reasons, or it falls into the inlet. Politics seem to trump the safety of the people. I seriously question the thinking of those who run the state.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM

25 posts, read 92,275 times
We're still struggling to leave Delaware, but while we're caught in its clutches, I'm trying my best to say good things about the state, especially the Dover area where we've lived for more than 20 years.

Hi Rockky!

Well, today is beautiful in Dover: sunny, breezy, 60's. All too soon, it will be in the 80's and 90's with humidity that's well beyond soggy, and many of us will find it necessary to stay in AC'd places until late September. If we drive an hour to the ocean beaches, we'll be fighting traffic and crowds.

All right, a good thing. If you like birds, Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge is just northeast of Dover, on the bay, and the rewards of exploring this place are considerable. We've seen bald eagles, many kinds of ducks, blizzards of snow geese, foxes, deer, river otters, owls, herons of all sorts and sizes, assorted wonderful wild flowers, and much more. It's a great place to walk if you avoid the mosquito months. Unfortunately, we find we must be in the car with the windows rolled up from sometime in April through the first hard frost, late in October.

Please avoid Capital School District in Dover, and be very careful--throughout the state--to research any school district.

Don't expect much in the way of culture, unless you're in northern Delaware, or want to travel 4-5 hours (round trips) to get to DC, Baltimore, or Philadelphia.

If you live in central or southern Delaware (other than the beach area), you may well get a large, pleasant house for a reasonable sum. We did, but now we're faced with not being able to afford anything close to similar in any of the areas in other states where we'd like to move. So, buy the house you want, and be sure to save specifically for when you'll want to move elsewhere. Not so easy to do, we found, with the kids in college.

I'm trying so hard to think of good things about Delaware, specifically about Dover and Kent county, that my head is aching.

I promise to return if I'm able to think of anything favorable. (Going to search out some aspirin now.)

Old 05-06-2007, 11:16 AM

21 posts, read 97,737 times
Default Like anywhere, it's mostly what you make it

Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean. Tears from the depth of some divine despair Rise in the heart and gather to the eyes, In looking on the happy autumn-fields, And thinking of the days that are no more.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 92,275 times
jjtdjr,

I was going to toss some Eliot (from The Wasteland) right backatcha, but I so appreciated your efforts that, even though the quote you chose doesn't fit--what in the world did you have in mind anyway?--I decided to spare you.

What my husband, our children, and the few friends who have stuck it out in Dover for 20+ years have liked least is the lack of good medical care. We have had to go to Philadelphia and Baltimore all too many times. (As do many Dover doctors and their families, by the way.)

Oh, and don't get into an accident here. Trauma centers of any value are just too far away. Sadly, we know this.

Roxanna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware