U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM

604 posts, read 1,162,307 times
Becky:

Becky:

It might help if you share what your thinking was in arriving at the price of $100K for the home? Price range of the homes in a community is a very important determinant of neighborhood characteristics. It is advisible to visit neighborhoods that you find conveniently located (close to DE Mem. Bridge) to find out if they meet your desirability quotient.

It might behoove you to determine what monthly mtgg. payment you would like to have and then determine what price range that translates into for any given location... that you may find allows you to have a wider choice to pick a home... just a suggestion ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:16 PM

8,523 posts, read 13,879,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
Becky:

Becky:

It might help if you share what your thinking was in arriving at the price of $100K for the home? Price range of the homes in a community is a very important determinant of neighborhood characteristics. It is advisible to visit neighborhoods that you find conveniently located (close to DE Mem. Bridge) to find out if they meet your desirability quotient.

It might behoove you to determine what monthly mtgg. payment you would like to have and then determine what price range that translates into for any given location... that you may find allows you to have a wider choice to pick a home... just a suggestion ..
Actually, I'm posting this for my sister. I went on realtor.com and found houses at $100K or below. Although, I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like. Is it possible in that price range to be in a decent neighborhood? By decent, I just mean safe and close to things. Nothing fancy needed. She will have that amount to purchase a home and will not be getting a mortgage. (She's on disability)

Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM

11,996 posts, read 11,742,806 times
She can get a nice double wide mobile home in a community off
of route 40 called Waterford, for 35.-50. I had a co-worker who bought a
new home in that park for 50., longer commute, nice community, but money in her pocket. Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
She can get a nice double wide mobile home in a community off
of route 40 called Waterford, for 35.-50. I had a co-worker who bought a
new home in that park for 50., longer commute, nice community, but money in her pocket. Just a thought.
Thanks for the opinion. She would be open to a modular, but not a double wide, just b/c they depreciate. Cheap land would be fine too so she could build a modular.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM

9,817 posts, read 10,616,627 times
There's no cheap land in New Castle County. Have you thought about Salem or Cumberland County?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
There's no cheap land in New Castle County. Have you thought about Salem or Cumberland County?
Where would that be and how far from 295 to get to Jersey?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Salem and Cumberland Counties are in NJ. I think property taxes are lower, and I know that Cumberland has a lower sales tax (I think 3.5 percent). It should be easy to pick up 295 from anywhere in those areas. I hardly travel to NJ any longer.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Salem and Cumberland Counties are in NJ. I think property taxes are lower, and I know that Cumberland has a lower sales tax (I think 3.5 percent). It should be easy to pick up 295 from anywhere in those areas. I hardly travel to NJ any longer.
The reason we were looking at DE is b/c taxes are insane in NJ. I'll check it out though. Do you have any names of cities there?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM

I understand looking in Delaware because of the low taxes; however, with such a limited budget, your relative will not have the best of choices when it comes to area and housing. That will be true anywhere you look in the tri-state area. Unlike most people on this board, when I read the newspaper and look at the names of people who have been arrested and where they either live or committed their crime, I personally know them. Your relative needs a buyers agent who can help direct to the best affordable area. Below is a list of cities for both Salem and Cumberland counties. I would stay away from Bridgeton because of crime issues, but I also have had students who committed heinous crimes in Salem. Of course, no place is 100 percent safe. My favorites would be Woodstown, Elmer, the Penns, and Carneys Point.

Salem County Cities, Towns & Census Designated PlacesIncorporated Places have an asterisk (*).
Acton
Aldine
Alliance
Alloway
Alloway Junction
Auburn
Ballingers Mill
Beaver Dam
Brotmanville
Canton
Carneys Point
Cedar Crest Manor
Cedarville
Centerton
Central Park
Churchtown
Cobbs Mill
Cohansey
Danceys Corner
Daretown
Deepwater
East Lake
Eldridge Hill
Elks Terrace
Elmer*
Fenwick
Five Points
Fort Elfsborg
Foxs Mill
Friendship
Friendship Station
Friesburg
Glenside
Golf Manor
Golf View
Greenville
Hagerville
Halltown
Hancocks Bridge
Harmersville
Harmony
Harrisonville
Jessups Mill
Jumbo
Kay Gardens
Mahoneyville
Mannington Mills
Maple Grove
Marlton Heights
Marshalltown
Maskells Mill
Mickles Mill
Milltown
Monroeville
Moores Corner
Mowers
New Freedom
Norma
Oakland
Oakwood Beach
Olivet
Ordmont
Palatine
Paradise Lakes
Paulding
Pecks Corner
Pedricktown
Penns Beach
Penns Grove*
Pennsville
Penton
Perkintown
Pine Island
Pine Tavern
Point Airy
Pointers
Pole Tavern
Portertown
Quinton
Raines Corner
Remsterville
Richmantown
Riddleton
Salem*
Schepps Valley
Seven Stars
Sharptown
Shirley
Six Points
Slabtown
South Penns Grove
Stockington
Union Grove
Welchville
Whig Lane
Willow Grove
Woodmere
Woods Mills
Woods Upper Mill
Woodstown*
Yorktown

Cumberland County Real Estate Listing Search Local Financial Services July 22, 2009.
List of Cities and Towns, Community Profiles, Demographics, Education, Transporation, Attractions, Business, More Information...
Single Family Home, Condominium, Cooperative, Multi Family Home, New Construction, Vacant Land, Commercial, More Options...
Realtors, Online Calculators, Mortgage Prequalification, Home Loans, Refinancing, Home Equity, Credit Score, More Services...

Bivalve Bridgeton Carmel
Cedarville Commercial Deerfield
Deerfield Street Delmont Dividing Creek
Dorchester Downe Fairton
Fortescue Gandys Beach Greenwich
Greenwich Township Heislerville Laurel Lake
Lawrence Leesburg Maurice River
Mauricetown Millville Newport
Port Elizabeth Port Norris Rosenhayn
Seabrook Shiloh South Vineland
Stow Creek Thompson Beach Upper Deerfield
Vineland

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I found some property in the 19720 zip. Is any of that area safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware