U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I were thinking about moving to DE. His cousins own a business and want him to work with them. It would be a really great job opportunity and he has family down there. We could definitely afford something bigger in DE than we have up here in NJ.

My issues are going from NJ to DE. If anyone has experience in this I would love to hear some pros and cons. Also I'm a biology teacher and I was curious how different it would be teaching in DE. I've been searching and it doesn't look like there are a lot of teaching jobs available near Wilmington (which is where the office is). How are the schools in terms of teaching and for my future children? is this a good place to start a family?

If any one could give us any information on this move. I would really like to be as educated as possible before we decide to take a big step like this.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM

604 posts, read 1,776,883 times
Do you have any children now? Or are you talking about future?

Where in Wilmington is your boyfriend's job location? Just because postal address is Wilmington, does not necessarily mean the location is in Wilmington. If you indicate the zip code such as 19801,19802 then it is in Wilmington city otherwise it may not be in the city.

The schools you can go to state site and compare them yourself. Since you are a teacher I don't have to tell you about how to look for statistically significant differences in the scores.

The commute in general is pretty good, LI people with Citigroup who moved down here call this a thirty-minute state - when it comes to commute.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM

12,606 posts, read 28,053,147 times
This link may give you more information about teaching in DE http://www.state.nj.us/education/tttnj/de/ As you probably know, teaching jobs anywhere are hard to come by and unless you have your Delaware certification, you are already less hire-able then the Delaware teachers already trying to get jobs. However, being a secondary science teacher is much different then el ed.

I don't think the schools in Wilimington are not very well thought of in general and I know that I would not willingly have my children attend there. Just because your boyfriend's job is there doesn't mean you would have to live or work in Wilmington does it?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM

604 posts, read 1,776,883 times
Missgreen, your best immediate hope for a job is in the private school arena... and there are several private schools in New Castle County.

Just to provide you with a correct perspective .... Wilmington city schools themselves don't belong to any one school district. So a statement made in the above post as wilmington schools being not "well thought of" is patently not valid ... the poster either does not reside in Delaware to know that or is just plain unfamiliar with facts. As a teacher you know that the the schools are good or bad depending on the type of student population - and the student population is no different in the City than in the Suburbs because Delaware schools are desegregated and students are bussed.

As to teaching biology (assuming it is high school course) in Wilmington school - there is only one High School located in Wilmington (a very good Charter high school) but like the poster above .... correctly pointed out the certification part, in the short run, may be an obstacle.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,786,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missgreen View Post
My boyfriend and I were thinking about moving to DE. His cousins own a business and want him to work with them. It would be a really great job opportunity and he has family down there. We could definitely afford something bigger in DE than we have up here in NJ.

My issues are going from NJ to DE. If anyone has experience in this I would love to hear some pros and cons. Also I'm a biology teacher and I was curious how different it would be teaching in DE. I've been searching and it doesn't look like there are a lot of teaching jobs available near Wilmington (which is where the office is). How are the schools in terms of teaching and for my future children? is this a good place to start a family?

If any one could give us any information on this move. I would really like to be as educated as possible before we decide to take a big step like this.

Thank you so much!!
NEWARK DELAWARE, by the University of Delaware. Nice town, I don't know about the schools. I had a BIG townhouse (1900 sq ft) in a development called Country Place. I think they are going about $225K now.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:42 PM

12,606 posts, read 28,053,147 times
armx ,my mistake. I did not realize that the students were still being bussed. Does that mean that you can live in Wilmington and attend Glasgow HS or vice versa? It's been quite some time since I've lived in Delaware but we did look into the schools a bit before we moved to Garnet Valley school district in PA several years ago.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 104,568 times
We moved here from Central NJ (South Brunswick) from which my last commute was to Bridgewater, and have not regretted it. Better weather, better public transportation, less traffic and more for your dollar are four pluses. I would also have to rate the beaches in DE above NJ in some respects, but of course living here, you'd have access to both. We do miss easy access to NYC somewhat, but Philly has a lot to offer.

As others have noted, there are a lot of districts and private schools so it's probably unwise to generalize. Having consulted to some educational associations, I believe the curricula would be similar but that would vary by subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or