Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 AM

699 posts, read 2,887,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjesson View Post
Thanks for all responses!

I may post to the PA forum too. But given that the work location is Wilmington I thought I'd start here.

But it seems unanimous that people are recommending living/schools "over the line".

Are there any implications of living in one state while working in another? Any other differences between the states that are worth discussing at this time? I know that PA has pretty antiquated blue laws regarding alcohol. It is annoying not to be able to buy beer/wine at the grocery store...and it means Trader Joe's is less likely to open a store nearby if they can't sell alcohol although they do have stores in PA.

Thanks!
Blue laws in PA are for the most part taboo like it's business as usual on Sundays but beer and wine are only available in a few chosen grocery stores. Liquor stores are run by the State. In DE liquor stores are independently owned but for now grocery stores do not sell beer and wine. There is a plan in the works so that we'll probably see that happen in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 AM

272 posts, read 783,749 times
Delaware and PA have tax reciprocity agreements - meaning that you deduct the taxes you pay out of state from those you owe in state. NJ doesn't have that agreement, but I can't comment on that since I have never worked in NJ while living in DE. The taxes are about the same between the two states until about $50k, after which Delaware's tax rate increases more than PA's. Don't forget the Philadelphia City Wage tax if you plan on living or working in the city of Philadelphia. It's about 4% for non-residents, 3% for residents. Make sure that you get a bump in your salary to compensate for that tax if you are subject to it. It DOES NOT APPLY if you live and work in the Philly suburbs.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
We are moving to Delaware tomorrow from Jersey and I am really excited about the schools my kids will be attending. I heard great things about the district. This forum has gotten me a little worried about the schools, but before I came on here I was really excited. The numbers are all in the 90%. We looked at going to Cecil County in Md and their numbers were not close to the numbers that De. had.

There are some decent public schools and reasonably adequate school districts in DE as far as I can tell. However, given the OP's priorities and apparent flexibility on location, I simply thought nearby PA would be a better fit.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,393,804 times
There's a TJ's on the state line (literally - you should be able to walk to PA from there) in Delaware. No, it doesn't sell alcohol and neither do any of the other 6 TJ's in Pennsylvania. However, beer is creeping into the grocery stores in PA. Several of the Wegmans have beer now. Is there wine in our grocery stores?? I've seen a beer section, but didn't think there was any wine. I grew up in Delaware where as someone else just said, also does not have alcohol in stores, and now live in PA. I don't think a lot about it. Each state has it's own strange quirks. It is what it is.....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,620,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
We are moving to Delaware tomorrow from Jersey and I am really excited about the schools my kids will be attending. I heard great things about the district. This forum has gotten me a little worried about the schools, but before I came on here I was really excited. The numbers are all in the 90%. We looked at going to Cecil County in Md and their numbers were not close to the numbers that De. had.
Was that Newark?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM

377 posts, read 1,111,217 times
We are moving to Newark, but it is part of Appo School District. Most of our schools are in Middletown. We didn't like the other school districts around, especially Christina. I am sure it is good for some, but Appo seemed great for us, all new schools and good numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware