Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,975 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about restrictions in Bechers Brook or Meadow Ridge? I need a place where Motorhomes can be parked. HOA's can be good to some extent to keep from having a junk yard next door, but things get rediculous when you can't park your own running vehicles as a motorhome or a cargo trailer on your own property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlee1949 View Post
Can anyone tell me about restrictions in Bechers Brook or Meadow Ridge? I need a place where Motorhomes can be parked. HOA's can be good to some extent to keep from having a junk yard next door, but things get rediculous when you can't park your own running vehicles as a motorhome or a cargo trailer on your own property.
One mans junk is another mans treasure. Thats why HOA and deed restrictions exist. But boat and RV storage on private property is normally County Code issue. I know it is in NCCo and Sussex and can only assume the same is true in Kent.

Personally I am glad my neighbor pays the $25/month to store his RV so I don't have to look at it and equally I don't mind the 4-6 nights a year it is parked in front of his house prior to his trips.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
But boat and RV storage on private property is normally County Code issue. I know it is in NCCo and Sussex and can only assume the same is true in Kent..
Not so in Kent, or in any county; it's not a blanket county issue. Each subdivision has their own set of deed restrictions, some more lenient than others, some very strict. Deed Restrictions are legal, recorded documents. To locate deed restrictions for your subdivision, or to see if there are deed restrictions on your property in a non-development area, take a trip to the Recorder of Deeds Office in your County. Someone there can help you find that document, if there is one, and if you want a copy, there is a minimal charge. Added to that, Mandatory HOA documents are also recorded documents, and sometimes add other restrictions as to the use of your property, i.e. the Bundle of Rights.

A property NOT located in a subdivision, in any county, may be the OP's best bet.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not so in Kent, or in any county; it's not a blanket county issue. Each subdivision has their own set of deed restrictions, some more lenient than others, some very strict. Deed Restrictions are legal, recorded documents. To locate deed restrictions for your subdivision, or to see if there are deed restrictions on your property in a non-development area, take a trip to the Recorder of Deeds Office in your County. Someone there can help you find that document, if there is one, and if you want a copy, there is a minimal charge. Added to that, Mandatory HOA documents are also recorded documents, and sometimes add other restrictions as to the use of your property, i.e. the Bundle of Rights.

A property NOT located in a subdivision, in any county, may be the OP's best bet.
YES IT IS A COUNTY CODE ISSUE. Example NCCo Code

Section PM 302.8.5, Recreational vehicle parking, Subject to the following exceptions, it shall be unlawhl to park or store a recreational vehicle in any residential zoning district, in any street, roadway, or public right-of-way, or in any street yard including within a driveway.

Section PM 302.15.4, On lots less than two (2) acres in size, one (1) properly stored boat (or recreational vehicle) may be stored in the rear yard or side yard (behind the required front setback line) of a residential lot provided that: (a) it is stored parallel to and adjacent to the house or a permanent accessory structure; and (b) a suitable evergreen screen is placed around all sides of the boat or recreational vehicle with the exception of the side
used for ingress/egress.

While I won't address Kent County directly, it seems NCCo clearly addresses this issue and it is a blanket issue.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
http://www.co.new-castle.de.us/countycouncil/home/fileuploads/images/06-121%20sub%201.pdf (broken link)
Continue reading after what is outlined in the above post.
So, no, there's no blanket code for NCC saying each and every property can not park an RV or boat on the owner's land.
Check out Section PM 302.8.5.11, 1.2 and 1.3
followed by - Note: Home owners are strongly urged to check with their community civic association etc. etc.

In Kent County many Homeowners Associations prohibit parking of RVs, boats, etc. That's why I say the OP may want to investigate properties outside of subdivisions.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
http://www.co.new-castle.de.us/countycouncil/home/fileuploads/images/06-121%20sub%201.pdf (broken link)
Continue reading after what is outlined in the above post.
So, no, there's no blanket code for NCC saying each and every property can not park an RV or boat on the owner's land.
Check out Section PM 302.8.5.11, 1.2 and 1.3
followed by - Note: Home owners are strongly urged to check with their community civic association etc. etc.

In Kent County many Homeowners Associations prohibit parking of RVs, boats, etc. That's why I say the OP may want to investigate properties outside of subdivisions.
The fact that "rdlr" suggest reading on proves RV parking and storage IS indeed covered by the NCCo code (as I also know it is in Sussex). I suggest the OP check Kent County Code for the section that applies to his property size and situation. Contrary to what "rdlr" has suggested, you can't move out of the juristiction of a HOA and escape the County Code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: