U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 PM

137 posts, read 281,825 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd chime in to put this thread back on the front page.

I am so busy sorting through all our stuff. I am doing my son's method of decision-making: 5 seconds to decide to keep, give, or toss. If it takes more than 5 seconds, it's a toss.

We had the mover guy come this morning to give us an estimate. It looks like I've got a whole lot more to give and toss. Right now we have an estimated packing/moving day of July 18. We'll put out stuff in storage for the couple months until the house in Southern Meadows is finished around Sept 20 or so.

Aside from being almost overwhelmed at how much we need to do between now and the 18th, I am so excited!

One of the best parts is that I get to give Mom good news every day since she forgets that I told her the day before that our house has sold. LOL!

I've got that new DE zip code memorized. Now on to figuring out what to put on my status. Any suggestions?

Jonalyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,545,625 times
Hi Jonalyn.......

I'm not orignial and have not much imagination but How about..........

Delaware here we come.............
For now...
or
Pinch me.......am I dreaming?

or
In Gods time

okay.....anybody else

Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,543,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
I am so busy sorting through all our stuff. I am doing my son's method of decision-making: 5 seconds to decide to keep, give, or toss. If it takes more than 5 seconds, it's a toss. Jonalyn
Sanddollar,

I just invented a game called "43 things that are not moving with me to Delaware". It may be a bit late for you to start playing this game, but, there may be others who would like to try it!

It is based on the fact that I have 43 months before I can retire and move to Delaware. Just like waiting for the tea kettle to boil, it seems so much longer just waiting - so you need to do something while you are waiting!

To make the months go faster each month you find one item that is not going with you to Delaware. You either sell it, give it away or trash it that month!

Last month I was looking at my bookcase and decided that the "like new" Funk and Wagnal 1974 complete 27 hard cover encyclopedia set had to go! (Perhaps you recall the grocery store promotion where you got the first book for 99 cents and every other week during 1975 you could buy each letter of the alphabet for just $1.99?).

Well, I could not put it in the paper recycle because they were hard cover books and Goodwill does not take encyclopedias - so it ended up in the trash. One down and 42 months to go!

This weekend I am hauling up from the basement my vacuum cleaner from 1995 that I kept to clean the basement, garage etc.. It got retired to the basement 7 years ago as a "spare" when I got a new vacuum. It hasn't worked for over a year - so it is time to put it out for my bulk trash pickup next week.

The rules of the game are simple - you must commit to getting rid of one major item a month - sell it, give it away or throw it out for the number of months you expect it to take before you can move to DE. (You can report back here and let everyone know what is not moving with you to DE.)

If you are a short timer (only a year before you can move you can play the faster version called 52 things that are not moving with me to DE and dispose of one item a week!)

Anyone want to play?

Mary2014

Old 06-19-2010, 10:28 AM

388 posts, read 849,581 times
Yes, I want to play. Don't know if we are what you would called short-timers as we don't actually know how long it will take to get to DE. This weekend we put our house up for sale so depending on that......

In the meantime, this weekend is also my church's annual huge yard sale and hubby helped me take over 2 SUV's worth of things we will not be taking with us. He joked that I had better not go to the sale and buy back my things!

Spoke yesterday with a man who recently sold his house near us, said they have had 3 garage sales since January and that he now knows people's first names who keep coming to his sales. Said he and his wife are done with that route, will be donating the rest to Goodwill. In our town is a technical school that accepts gently worn electronic and electrical things, they repair if possible and then sell to the public to help fund their school. Good idea! Found a home for my pasta machine!!

Yes, I think it is safe to say we ALL have way too many things in our lives that we are hanging on to for whatever reason. I think we must be brutal in our assessment of these things. Do we want our new homes cluttered with stuff we pay to have brought there?? I don't think so.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 AM

Great Idea Mary.

and

Congrats for putting your home on the market Little eggplant. wish you the very best success selling your home.

Back when we were cleaning out I had seen an Oprah show about clutter.
She said when cleaning out, ask yourself if you really want to need an item.....if you hesitate.......get rid of it.
Thats what we did. Only kept was was absolutely necessary or sentimental.
I have a double curio that has my sentimental.

That first year here was so much fun and so exciting. Buying all new furniture, scouting the new area, meeting new people...Oh gosh...really a lot of fun. sigh!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
The rules of the game are simple - you must commit to getting rid of one major item a month - sell it, give it away or throw it out for the number of months you expect it to take before you can move to DE. (You can report back here and let everyone know what is not moving with you to DE.)

If you are a short timer (only a year before you can move you can play the faster version called 52 things that are not moving with me to DE and dispose of one item a week!)

Anyone want to play?
I've been playing for almost two years now (on and off) and have lightened the load significantly. I'd say 75% of the stuff that's not coming with us is gone. We start showing the house in almost 18 months! We'll be ready.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:14 PM

728 posts, read 1,596,383 times
I had a easier time in 2007 when I moved here. I just came out of a divorce and really diddnt have anything. I wish you luck!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 PM

137 posts, read 281,825 times
Default What's NOT going to Delaware

Mary2014, I think we must be twins separated at birth! LOL..

I, too, had an old vacuum cleaner that dh used in the basement workshop to clean up his messes that didn't need the shopvac. Also had a pasta machine that went to Salvation Army.

I am a REAL short-timer. Movers are coming in less than a month, so I've been throwing out and donating like mad.

I'll tell you what is *not* coming with us to Delaware:

snowblower-that's going to son in Cleveland
wheelbarrow-ditto above
double-bed, chest of drawers, night stand, card tables w/4 chairs, riding lawn mower, push lawn mower, assorted garden tools-ditto above
bunkbeds and mattresses plus all twin linens and comforters, big toybox-given to young couple at church
wedding silver plate bowls, platters, candlesticks, etc., that had to be polished, unused knick-knacks-gone to Salvation Army
90% of all my cookbooks-ditto above
Old blankets, afghans, unused and extra bed linens, and towels-ditto above
rocking chair, coffee table, 2 end tables, assorted lamps, upholstered chair-to St. Vincent De Paul charity
6 cartons assorted novels and other books (can reread from library) kid toys kept for grandkids to play with, games -Salvation Army
8 large black trash bags full of clothes-Purple Heart of Michigan
downhill and cross-country skiis, including boots, poles, ski jackets, several pairs of snow boots-Salvation Army
40 year old smith corona electric typewriter (why on earth did we keep that all these years!)-Purple Heart
extra pots and pans, cooking utensils, unused tupperware-Salvation army
About 100 tape cassettes and movie videos-ditto above
2 tvs and entertainment center, 100 lp albums of music from 60's and 70's-St. Vincent de Paul charity
2 big boxes of old fabric that never got made up-to friend who makes quilts for pregnancy center moms and their babies
double bed mattresses, and untold bags of discards--trash pickup
old jars of spices and herbs, mixes, other food stuff from basement pantry that is way old--trash pickup
college foot-locker, old suitcases-St. Vincent de Paul Charity
extra paper and office supplies-to church secretary
extension ladder (big enough to work on two story house)-sold on Craig's List

...And now I'm packing boxes and piling them up in the living room.

I also think we had accumulated way too much stuff. We've lived in this house only 12 years. Before we moved here from NY, we got rid of 3 van loads of stuff. Stuff I thought was important to keep back then is going now. It's quite liberating.

Jonalyn
PS: Wish I could get rid of the extra pounds on me as fast as the extra pounds of stuff in the house.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 AM

I wish you guys were around when we were going through this. So nice to converse with people going through the same thing.

Took us 2 years of planning and unloading.

Stuff.......Oh the stuff. We moved to a 1396 sq foot home from a large 3 story. There was NO way we could continue with all the "stuff".
the girls had things stored too and I gave a them a deadline or it would be at the curb on trash day.

Jonalyn........you really have a short time to get this all done. Sometimes a deadline is a great motivator.
I know someone that had just 2 weeks to pack up the house and move.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM

728 posts, read 1,596,383 times
My next door neighbor/fishing buddy just knocked at the door and presented these Maryland Blue Crabs caught this morning and FRESH off his steamer... perfectly seasoned with Old Bay!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or