U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,173,170 times
Default The Official Off-Topic Delaware Chat Thread

This is the official off-topic Delaware chat thread. I'm currently a New Yorker on my way to relocating to Delaware and one of the biggest attractions for me is the level of friendliness that I encounter each time I visit. That friendliness is evident here on the Delaware forum by how often we can go off-topic in a thread, just because of "our" willingness to talk to each other about almost anything.

This thread could be helpful in directing the "everyday chat" to this thread, allowing the other threads to remain filled with helpful information for others. I hope that everyone who uses this thread uses it in the spirit of friendship and comraderie that is so evident through the state.

A special thank you to our moderator, Toobusytoday, who allowed me to restart a chat thread for all who might be interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM

15,508 posts, read 7,446,949 times
Hi Charley.......

So happy to see the DE chat reopened!!! We had such a good time before along with all the helpful information that flowed through the posts.

I will be back with my story in a bit. Have an aerobic class to attend at 9 and must get ready.
This retired old gal is always busy. LOL!!
Take care friend........I shall return.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 AM

23 posts, read 41,040 times
Hi Charley! Have you decided where you'll be living in Delaware? What made you relocate here? As you saw from my other post, I am a "newbie" here. I believe what you said about how everyone is friendly and willing to talk about anything. Hopefully we can continue to chat in this thread and have some open conversations with local Delawareans who can give us more information about the area!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringDE View Post
Hi Charley! Have you decided where you'll be living in Delaware? What made you relocate here? As you saw from my other post, I am a "newbie" here. I believe what you said about how everyone is friendly and willing to talk about anything. Hopefully we can continue to chat in this thread and have some open conversations with local Delawareans who can give us more information about the area!
My wife and I chose about 16 or 17 states that "could" be right for us, and then we started doing research about all the things that are important to us. We narrowed it down to a few states and then started taking our vacations in those states. When we hit Delaware and started to see some of the 55+ communities and meet the people, the decision got much easier.

We have family in NY, NJ and Virginia that would still be within one day's travel if necessary, so geographically, it works. Financially, we're coming from New York so ANY place works. Entertainment wise, between what will be available with the 55+ community and the many things we've already seen around the state, we'll be fine.

We really like what we are seeing at Roesville, and also liked Nobles Pond and Southern Meadows (for very different reasons). All things being equal, we'll end up in Roesville (between Felton and Frederica). We were planning to arrive next summer, but those plans have changed for a few reasons - but we'll be there!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM

683 posts, read 1,868,434 times
If there is anything you need to know about DE or anything else for that matter, just ask Charley. Although he doesn't live here yet, he has researched every aspect of everything you can imagine. He knows the stats. We are so looking forward to Charley and his wife moving here as we have become great friends. Thanks City Data for introducing us to Charley and thank you Charley for opening this chat.

Keep cool everyone, another scorcher today!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM

Oh my. Thank you so much.

While that's very kind, I need to clarify just a little. I researched all the elements of things that are important to my wife and I. There are other factors of which I know very little. For example, my children are grown and out of the house so I did no research on the school systems. I'm retired so I could not address issues such as commuting times to and from various places.

I am also very anxious to come and be a good neighbor and already having friends like FromPA and Elizamary and MaryCh and (hopefully RWH) and others will be a great start!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 41,040 times
Wow, perhaps Charley is the resource I need!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Hi Everyone........enjoy the the last days of summer.

I agree with PA and consider DE Charley is a great source honest and fair as well.

Personally.....DH and I are sooo looking forward to his relocating to DE. It's NY's lost and DE gain

A little background on me just in case someone can relate to my particular situation.

DH and I are from Pa/northeast Philly. DH had been retired and on disability due to an illness. I was still grinding away at my goverment job and getting very tired.
We didn't have a lot of money and I thought I'd have to work till they bagged and tagged.
We so wanted to retire to a community where there were activities, trips, pool and fun.
We really didn't think we could afford it until we looked in DE. Best thing we ever did.
At that time......they were handing out buyouts and I was eligible. The whole thing was scary but we found a community that was right for us.....been here almost 3 years and NO regrets. Life is exactly how we wanted it.
All my bills are lower.......taxes ridiculously low and moving from another state we have made wonderful connections and have a ton of friends.

We live in Kent county which is perfect for us. A half hour from the beaches, not far from MD, DC, PA and VA.
So much to do and not enough time to do it all. Thats our biggest problem.

As everyone has said.....DE is a very friendly state and I was truely amazed.

WE also weren't interested in school system or things of that nature cuz our kids are grown.
For whatever you lifestyle......I believe you can be happy here.
A very wholesome laid back way of living.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 11,316 times
Welcome Charley, you will be quite close to where we are. My wife did all the research before we moved here from NJ in 1998, we came here mainly for the property taxes and schools. We ended up not having any kids, but we love it here and are staying put. The only things I miss about NJ are record stores nearby and White Castle.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
Welcome Charley, you will be quite close to where we are. My wife did all the research before we moved here from NJ in 1998, we came here mainly for the property taxes and schools. We ended up not having any kids, but we love it here and are staying put. The only things I miss about NJ are record stores nearby and White Castle.
You will probably love jakes on bay ave (113)
I understand they are really good burgers. Have not tried them myself but several others have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware