U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
Default Looking To Move To Milford

Tired of NJ picking my pockets looking to move to Milford,or any other southern DE. town. Any info would be appreciated. I already know that housing is very reasonable and taxes are app. 80% less than Jersey but I'm wondering if there's anything to do there. I'm retired so commuting is not a concern. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 05:28 AM

5,113 posts, read 6,393,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imfedup View Post
Tired of NJ picking my pockets looking to move to Milford,or any other southern DE. town. Any info would be appreciated. I already know that housing is very reasonable and taxes are app. 80% less than Jersey but I'm wondering if there's anything to do there. I'm retired so commuting is not a concern. Thanks
Big part of DE housing is land lease. Make sure you know that when checking out homes.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM

43 posts, read 62,197 times
What exactly is land leased as far as single family homes?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 16,190 times
You need to visit first!!!! There is a very high crime rate in Milford. It's a farming community with a chicken slaughter plant and fish packing plant on the main road. It is not a very friendly or happy place to be, especially if you are from NJ. Lewes is a nice place as far as Delaware goes, but, while taxes might be lower, food and housing is steadily climbing. Besides, if you are in Lewes, NJ is only a quick ferry ride away! Remember that old saying...you get what you pay for...honestly, do more research on Milford.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 AM

604 posts, read 1,190,207 times
The land the single family home is built on cannot be owned but leased like for 99 years; so for all practical purposes you can use the land but there may be a few restrictions. May be rdlr might chime in... or there are other threads that discuss this subject in detail.

Land lease is most prevalent in Lewes, to my knowledge.

Milford is not dangerous as somebody mentioned. It is centrally located in southern DE on the boundary of Kent and Sussex counties. Labor force in southern Delaware could be getting more hispanic; they generally, live in clusters due to the support they seek from each other in a land of english-speaking people. and I will leave it at that.

Last edited by armx; 12-18-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM

4,570 posts, read 5,754,736 times
Milford is a very quaint little City! In Kent and Sussex Counties, there are some chicken farms and agricultural land. Delaware is, primarily, an agricultural state. That doesn't seem to deter so many people from flocking to the area, it appears. Here's the City of Milford website to look over:
Downtown Milford Delaware

Land lease is a broad subject. armx is correct about the 99 (sometimes less) year leases along the Bay, but that extends from Lewes on to Rehoboth, and Dewey Beaches, as well as Bethany Beach. Manufactured home parks have leased lots all over the state, and some 55+ communities have leased lots. But there's much more real estate available in all of Delaware with fee simple ownership, for sure.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 AM
kfo

9 posts, read 16,715 times
I am originally from NJ and I have lived in the Milford area for the past 3+ years and love it! I like the fact there is still open space and farms throughout the area. I feel safe in the area. I can get to the Ferry to go to Cape May or the Ocean in about 20 minutes. It's hard to beat!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM

4,570 posts, read 5,754,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo View Post
I am originally from NJ and I have lived in the Milford area for the past 3+ years and love it! I like the fact there is still open space and farms throughout the area. I feel safe in the area. I can get to the Ferry to go to Cape May or the Ocean in about 20 minutes. It's hard to beat!
I always love seeing first hand reports from those who actually LIVE in a specific area, now.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 56,948 times
I'm from New York and live in Milford and love it too. I live just outside of town near Slaughter Beach. The community I am in has a great mix of families and you can't beat the location -- 4 miles to the bay, 15 minutes to Lewes, 20 minutes to dover. Lots to do here, no crime, retirees and young families mixed. Look up Argo Farms in Milford.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
High crime in Milford? You my friend, need to review your statements... it is a great place to live, very friendly. There is one chicken plant, Perdue...and Seawatch is the seafood plant you are referring to. The surrounding towns are also very nice. You are 20 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from the capital... 25 minutes from the MD line, it has small town charm, and has become a very popular area for retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware