Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 AM

271 posts, read 995,660 times

Advertisements

I spend little time here, but the holiday weekend has given me about about 20 free minutes, total, to read and post....so, since I remember some of the things katreese has said quite clearly, I'm writing in support, before we move on.

Katreese arrived here after years in Madison WI, a wonderful university town, with all sorts of everything immediately available. I think that, considering this, she has been extremely kind about Newark DE. I sense that she feels she knows the area all too well now.

To be fair to Newark, Madison is much, much larger, and the U of Wisconsin much larger as well. Newark has its good points. I think the campus is quite attractive, and a few nice restaurants and other businesses exist on Main Street. In general though, we find it to be kind of a suburban, strip mall sprall that bumps into greater Wilmington.

Best luck, templeowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,155 times
My only complaint to Katreese is don't generalize and say Newark is a dump. Honestly I went to Wilmington and got lost in a terrible section. All I hear on the news is about the crime in Wilmington, does this mean Wilmington is a dump? No, it means that it has some bad areas. I do hear wonderful things about Wilmington also. Everywhere has some bad areas, you just have to visit and you will find them easily. I have to say I wish that Newark had nicer strip malls, but they are ok. People's Plaza near me has everything I need.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
My only complaint to Katreese is don't generalize and say Newark is a dump. Honestly I went to Wilmington and got lost in a terrible section. All I hear on the news is about the crime in Wilmington, does this mean Wilmington is a dump? No, it means that it has some bad areas. I do hear wonderful things about Wilmington also. Everywhere has some bad areas, you just have to visit and you will find them easily. I have to say I wish that Newark had nicer strip malls, but they are ok. People's Plaza near me has everything I need.
Very true - I was definitely having a bad Newark day that day, which will only get worse if I don't accentuate the positive!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,649 times
Try looking in the areas around Old Baltimore Pike between 896 and 273, moved here almost 3 years ago from Salt Lake and I like the area so far.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,719 times
Just to give a little info about 19702 - this zip code is not in "incorporated" Newark. It is Christiana/Glasgow and boundaries are:
I-95 to the North
DE/MD border to the West
and a very uneven line for the Eastern (borders 19720 and 19701) and Southern (borders 19701) boundaries
go here and plug in the zip code to see an overlay on a google map Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.

I can see why someone thinks the strip malls are "dingy"...they are older (60-70's builds) and some are getting a face-lift but others look dated. There are strip malls because there was space to build them. The designs might not be ideal for the current times but their function is fine (and was trendy when they were built) and there are good stores scattered through them. To be honest, I'd rather have a strip mall than a real estate development selling overpriced condos with no real view aside from the party scene of Main St. (yes, that is a dig at what has become of the Stone Balloon)

Main St. is a one-way 2 lane street with lots of pedestrian traffic. Most of your delays are from pedestrians blocking turns or crossing the street. We do NOT have a specific rush hour on Main St...people who live on the North side will know the ways around and avoid the street when it is most busy.

Newark is a school town 1st and foremost (especially now that Chrysler is closed)...it has nice houses with good sized lots and there are some real winners in certain sections but people who live there accept it, support it and know how to avoid it when needed.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 13,285 times
Would anyone reccomend Wilmington over Newark? I realize they are pretty close, but for a family in early 30's with a new baby, is one better than the other? Please provide some examples.
Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Sorry this is off topic but I couldn't help commenting on your screen name.

Both my daughters are temple ow's. Great school.

We live in Kent County and I'm not familiar with northern DE.

Wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeowl36 View Post
Would anyone reccomend Wilmington over Newark? I realize they are pretty close, but for a family in early 30's with a new baby, is one better than the other? Please provide some examples.
Thanks so much for all your help!
I prefer the North Wilmington area, but I'm not a 30 something with a new baby either. Brandywine Hundred area offers great shopping, newer stores, Target at the Brandywine Town Center, Concord Mall, Shops on #202
beautiful Bellevue State Park, newer(about a yr old) Can Do Park for the kids off 202 and Weldin Road, YMCA, Brandywine Zoo closer to Wilmington, AI duPont Childrens Hospital. A new dog park off of Foulk road. Cleaner, less congested traffic. Homes are older, not the monoply type that sprung up in Newark in the 90s. Close to Frawley Stadium and the Riverfront.. School district is Brandywine, rated well.

Close to I95 North and South and not far from the PA border, in fact a lot of PA residents come to the area for shopping. The best thing to do is to make a trip and decide for yourself.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
I don't have kids either, so the only thing I would venture to comment on is the shopping situation. Newark has adequate shopping, but it's spread out, and Wilmington has a greater variety of stores (plus a Target!). From the perspective of efficiency in running errands and shopping - with or without kids - I'd prefer Wilmington.

In addition to the places to see that the previous poster mentioned , Wilmington also has the Delaware Art Museum (which has a kids' room and programs) and is getting a Children's Museum. As you mentioned, Newark isn't far away, but like with the shopping, I guess it might depend on how often you would go to these things and how much of a pain you would consider it to travel 20-30 minutes to get to them?

Medical care is a good point. The AI duPont Children's Hospital in Wilmington is world-renowned. I'm not familiar with the quality of Christiana Hospital in Newark - might be worth checking out.

Last edited by katreese; 10-12-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM

377 posts, read 1,115,155 times
I just moved to Newark and am very happy so far. We are in an area with a great school distict (Appo) It is a very family friendly area, but I do wish we were closer to good shopping. We took a trip to Wilmington, Brandywine area recently and loved it. There was great shopping and restaraunts. I cannot comment on schools or anything else though. We needed to be close to Md for my husbands job, so it would not work for us, but it seemed like a really nice area.

My pediatrician from NJ told me that AI dupont Children's hospital is amazing and if any of my kids get sick to go there. I have heard good things about Christiana too, but I would probably go to AI if it is for one of my kids. It is only about 25 min away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware