Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
Sounds like your having a great time, in beautiful surroundings! It is nice to hear taxes that low. It leaves more money available for exactly what you're doing now...travel..It is such a wonderful thing to get out and see the countryside and visit different states...nothing like a good road trip. I love them as much as you do!!!
Quote:
Hi Bette: I would think the reason most 55+ people would like to live in an active adult community is not to be lonely. I certainly agree with you about wanting to have an active social life with your peers. Living there makes it easier to achieve this. I also feel it is safer because people will most likely look after each other in there own way.
DeeD............Thanks and it was wonderful.

That is one of the reasons. Another is to retire and not be bored. I've been active all my life with family/job........always on the go.

Then I retire..........now what. Well happy to report a happy active life with a ton of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM

144 posts, read 360,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
DeeD............Thanks and it was wonderful.

That is one of the reasons. Another is to retire and not be bored. I've been active all my life with family/job........always on the go.

Then I retire..........now what. Well happy to report a happy active life with a ton of fun.

Elizamary, You're welcome! Yes, after being so busy, which I can relate to as well, because I still work, grandkids, family, friends etc... It is something to really consider, making sure all of the pieces are in place for this new exciting active lifestyle upon retirement. When you move to a new state,a new lifestyle can be made all over again, perhaps even better than before. Especially when working use to fill most of the day. Now having more time to pursue all interests. The best part is that your living proof of it!!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Hi DeeD.........

Thanks and we make our own happy life. I always say.....if you don't like the way things are then change what you possibly can change.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM

144 posts, read 360,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi DeeD.........

Thanks and we make our own happy life. I always say.....if you don't like the way things are then change what you possibly can change.

You're welcome! That is exactly my sentiment!!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM

60 posts, read 207,441 times
Quote:
Hi SusieC: Thank you for responding to my post. We prefer a crawl space to. When we visited Spring Arbor in Middletown, they also have the crawl spaces. Thanks for reminding me about Champion's Club, having them as well.

We liked Independence and I agree that the HOA is rather high, and I did not know about the propane costs, but thanks to you I am aware of it.
What was your opinion on Spring Arbor? We're also thinking of Legacy at Odessa. Did you visit any others in Northern De? How do prices compare to central De. It seems if you're north or south; the prices are higher. I understand the reasoning for the southern part of the state, as you are closer to the beaches, but why so in the northern part? Closer to Wilmington??

Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorys View Post
What was your opinion on Spring Arbor? We're also thinking of Legacy at Odessa. Did you visit any others in Northern De? How do prices compare to central De. It seems if you're north or south; the prices are higher. I understand the reasoning for the southern part of the state, as you are closer to the beaches, but why so in the northern part? Closer to Wilmington??

Forgive me for jumping in but my guess is because of jobs. Closer to Wilmington is more jobs available.
Not much employment in Central De.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 AM

135 posts, read 298,487 times
Rorys, I did ask that question about the prices north and south being higher..the answer I got is that the land is more expensive, which does make sense. North closer to Wilmington, a larger city, and South as you said, closer to the beaches. If we do choose DE, I am aiming for the central part of the state. North is too busy and south too rural for us. We have not looked at Spring Arbor..just thought it was too far north. As far as Legacy at Odessa, 1) they won't open the clubhouse, even though it's finished; 2) Ryan is the builder (not a great reputation) and there is a separate developer (so you deal with 2 entities); 3) take a look at the driveways, they are non-existant. Your car hangs into the street (where were the inspectors?); the golf course is a links course (ugg).
From everything we've seen, and we've been doing this a long time, my favorites are Champions Club and Roesville. That being said, the homes at Roesville are great but it truly is in the middle of nowhere and I've heard that the elevations and jet noise are problems at CC. We've pretty much eliminated Sussex County b/c of the taxes. If you're moving to DE for the tax advantage may as well live in Kent.
Obviously there is no perfect place, but I would surely hate to make the wrong choice at this stage of our lives (anal thinking?).

Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Good points. If I'm not mistaken, I think CC has only 2 bedrooms (and no dens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Rorys, I did ask that question about the prices north and south being higher..the answer I got is that the land is more expensive, which does make sense. North closer to Wilmington, a larger city, and South as you said, closer to the beaches. If we do choose DE, I am aiming for the central part of the state. North is too busy and south too rural for us. We have not looked at Spring Arbor..just thought it was too far north. As far as Legacy at Odessa, 1) they won't open the clubhouse, even though it's finished; 2) Ryan is the builder (not a great reputation) and there is a separate developer (so you deal with 2 entities); 3) take a look at the driveways, they are non-existant. Your car hangs into the street (where were the inspectors?); the golf course is a links course (ugg).
From everything we've seen, and we've been doing this a long time, my favorites are Champions Club and Roesville. That being said, the homes at Roesville are great but it truly is in the middle of nowhere and I've heard that the elevations and jet noise are problems at CC. We've pretty much eliminated Sussex County b/c of the taxes. If you're moving to DE for the tax advantage may as well live in Kent.
Obviously there is no perfect place, but I would surely hate to make the wrong choice at this stage of our lives (anal thinking?).

Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Good points. If I'm not mistaken, I think CC has only 2 bedrooms (and no dens).
The Doral model (most expensive one) has a third bedroom/den. You choose which you want it to be. Of course, they all have loft options for which would include a third bedroom, but the Doral is the only one that has a room included that could be a third bedroom.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Wasnt aware of that (maybe it being $$ is why I didn't think about it). Having a loft is a nice idea but getting to it doesn't thrill me (hoping my stair-climbing days are coming to an end ;-) ). Guess we have no choice but to hope against hope that clubhouse in Roesville will get built soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware