Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,093 times

Advertisements

Trying AGAIN to return to the original intent of this thread ...

Here is one more question to ask. Each community provides a number of "outside services" such as mowing, snow removal, leaf pickup, one even provides external maintenance on the homes. Ask each community for the specifics of what they provide. For example, one community will shovel snow, once it reaches two inches. So if an inch and a half falls, you're on your own. From what I'm told about Delaware, in most cases, if an inch and a half falls, it usually evaporates by itself within a few hours. So try to get the details of all services.

By the way - take great notes and then in the evening, rewrite them so that you are putting your data together while it's fresh in your mind.

One other thought. As you get all this great information, please share the information with those of us who are also looking for the same information. (That will also serve to confirm for some what they have been told so we can be sure we're all being told the same things.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Toosie brought up some interesting points. Just not in a 'one question' form.
She is expressing her inner thoughts and feelings about certain issues. Its very, very, important to read and know the rules and if you can abide by them. Its also so very important to know if your heart gets a warm, fuzzy, feeling about the development. Not pushing aside what could happen that you wouldn't enjoy. I really think it would be great to rent ( if at all possible) a home in the community for a month........to test all the pros and con's out. Everyone of us wants the best place for our personal enjoyment and needs.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,562,876 times
OK, here's my one question: How anal is this 55+ community?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM

388 posts, read 998,094 times
to TootsieWootsie: Sorry, I do not understand your question "how anal is this 55+ community?". Are you referring to the concept in general or a particular community where you lived (the swimming pool situation)?

Once again I am trying to establish questions to ask at our upcoming visits. Seems this thread has deteriorated into, as Charley states, the pro-55ers vs. the anti-55ers and that has not been my intent from the start. I have asked for interesting questions to be asked by myself and maybe others in their pursuit of a 55+ community that is right for them. If you are against the basic concept of a 55+ community in general, then, thank you, but unless you have a question to offer those of us who WANT to learn, hijacking this thread does not advance the cause.

I have made it pretty clear that we are set on a 55+ community - less house and yard chores, no kids, community atmosphere, and yes, improved tax situation in DE (MUCH better than here in Maine, where they would tax the air you breathe if they were able). Please let us try to stay on subject as it does appear there are many people who want to learn.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,562,876 times
The concept in general. If you are over 55+, you should have some basic idea of what is expected of you. If you have neighbors peeking over their shrubs hoping to catch you doing something they feel is not in the rules, do you really need that?
I have friends living in 55+ communities that enjoy where they are, so I know "good, happy" communities are out there for you.
If it were me, I'd visit and try and corner some of the residents and get them talking about what life is like there. But I would definitely try to feel out if the community was warm and welcoming or uptight, nosy and gossipy.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM

388 posts, read 998,094 times
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I agree with you that talking with the residents is paramount for getting a clear picture, perhaps not one as rosy as a brochure would lead you to believe.

Brings up a funny story.....we did look at a 55+ place here in Maine and did see a man jogging along the trails by the homes and we stopped and asked him if he would talk to us for a few moments. He did so graciously and answered our questions, obviously happy where he was. After he jogged away my husband said, jokingly, that the sales office probably sends this guy "out jogging" whenever prospective buyers come by. HAHA

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 PM

144 posts, read 360,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Well we certainly have driven this train off the tracks, haven't we? The original topic was "If you could ask one question ..." and we've run right off into the "Pro 55+ communities people" vs. the "Anti 55+ communities people". Pretty sad when that happens, but it happens all the time.

Let's try to get back to the original intent of the thread. There are many of us who are leaning toward the 55+ community lifestyle, probably in Delaware (which is why this topic appears in this state's forum) and we'd like to have appropriate discussion about the questions we should be asking.

For those who have had a negative experience in a 55+ community, I'm really very sorry you had such an experience. While your stories certainly have validity, I'm still interested in learning more and I'm sure there are others who are as well. Like everything else on the planet, there are good 55+ communities and bad ones. Hopefully, we'll be able to find the good ones and enjoy the lifestyles we seek.

Thank you.

Bravo!! Well said!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Ask current residents how do they feel about their communities board of directors and management company's recent decisions.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM

135 posts, read 298,463 times
I would ask about the HOA fees...how much can they increase each year. Also, will the homeowners association be turned over to the homeowners at some point or will it continued to be managed by the builder/developer. We have friends who own winter homes in Florida in 55+ communities. They have seen their neighbors having to sell due to the increase in fees/taxes over the years.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
I would ask about the HOA fees...how much can they increase each year. Also, will the homeowners association be turned over to the homeowners at some point or will it continued to be managed by the builder/developer. We have friends who own winter homes in Florida in 55+ communities. They have seen their neighbors having to sell due to the increase in fees/taxes over the years.
It's a great question, but the management always has a back door. For example, let's say there is a 4% cap on the amount of fee increase. There will also be a clause in the contract called "special assessment". Let's say the roof on the clubhouse is severely damaged by a storm and needs $50,000 to repair. Instead of raising the HOA fee, they can create a special assessment above and beyond the fee. If there are 100 homes in the community, they can assess $500 per home (maybe over two or three years) until the roof is paid for.

So while SusieC's question is really very important, remember that there are additional ways that you can "pay more" above and beyond the HOA fee. By the way, this is not limited to 55+ communities. My daughters co-op in a NYC suburb was just assessed with a "special". It's a fairly common practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware