Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,634,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
I would ask about the HOA fees...how much can they increase each year. Also, will the homeowners association be turned over to the homeowners at some point or will it continued to be managed by the builder/developer. We have friends who own winter homes in Florida in 55+ communities. They have seen their neighbors having to sell due to the increase in fees/taxes over the years.
Hi Susie........

This is true but it is not only 55+ communities. Friends of our live in Sun N fun (an all age community) for the winter..the fees have gone up considerably there too.
All age communities or developments have the same problems with HOA's., gossip, busy bodies, grouches and pick people that don't know how to mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 PM

9,300 posts, read 16,593,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Susie........

This is true but it is not only 55+ communities. Friends of our live in Sun N fun (an all age community) for the winter..the fees have gone up considerably there too.
All age communities or developments have the same problems with HOA's., gossip, busy bodies, grouches and pick people that don't know how to mind their own business.
The maintenance fee usually increases every year. Ask how much they have in escrow for major repairs. As the OP stated they can do a "special" assessment if they need money for a major project or repair. This can be quite costly.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The maintenance fee usually increases every year. Ask how much they have in escrow for major repairs. As the OP stated they can do a "special" assessment if they need money for a major project or repair. This can be quite costly.
This is not in All communities. Only in the ones that own a piece of the whole community.

Our community has no HOA. We pay lot rent.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM

60 posts, read 206,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Here is one that I don't think has been mentioned yet. You will see some absolutely beautiful model homes. Those models are shown with many amenities that are not standard - meaning that if you want them, there is an extra cost for each of those particular amenities. So the question is, "What is standard and what is extra?" ... and if you can make the right relationship with the sales person, ask him or her to print the ala carte listing of the amenities and prices. This way, when you get home and decide "You know, I might want that fireplace after all", you'll know the cost.
Why can't some of these communities have a model that is all standard, so you can see EXACTLY what comes with the house. You get your expectations up and then find out that this isn't included, that's extra, oh you want that floor? that's extra... By the time you add up all the extras (and I'm not even including the architectural additions) - you could be well into the $25,000 range.
The other problem is they don't give you a list of what all those extras cost. They'll give you a list for the architechtural upgrades, though. I would like to know up front before I put my deposit down, what I'm going to be paying. Money is tight and I certainly want to live in the beautiful home, that I've just seen and dreamed about, and not some stripped down version, with cheap cabinets and flooring.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorys View Post
Why can't some of these communities have a model that is all standard, so you can see EXACTLY what comes with the house. You get your expectations up and then find out that this isn't included, that's extra, oh you want that floor? that's extra... By the time you add up all the extras (and I'm not even including the architectural additions) - you could be well into the $25,000 range.
The other problem is they don't give you a list of what all those extras cost. They'll give you a list for the architechtural upgrades, though. I would like to know up front before I put my deposit down, what I'm going to be paying. Money is tight and I certainly want to live in the beautiful home, that I've just seen and dreamed about, and not some stripped down version, with cheap cabinets and flooring.

I have often thought that too Rorys. They do this so you will spend more money. You say ooooh I like that....welll it's extra but you must have it so you pay. They use all the sale tactics you can think of and more.

Last edited by elizamary; 09-15-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,011,330 times
Quote:
The other problem is they don't give you a list of what all those extras cost.
I got to the serious stage with two different communities. I asked each for the ala carte listing of all the extras and each one complied. You are the buyer. Ask for everything you want to see. There's no reason not to do so.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM

144 posts, read 359,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Toosie brought up some interesting points. Just not in a 'one question' form.
She is expressing her inner thoughts and feelings about certain issues. Its very, very, important to read and know the rules and if you can abide by them. Its also so very important to know if your heart gets a warm, fuzzy, feeling about the development. Not pushing aside what could happen that you wouldn't enjoy. I really think it would be great to rent ( if at all possible) a home in the community for a month........to test all the pros and con's out. Everyone of us wants the best place for our personal enjoyment and needs.

Well said Summering, I think if that possibility (exists to rent), it would be wise to give it a "test drive"...just like when we purchase a new car!!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM

6,873 posts, read 11,190,451 times
Smile Over 55 communities

I would be concerned with what activities they have. I don't want to be lonely, I want to have a real social life if I were to live in such a place.

I would also ask about the age range - what is most prevalent?

Would we fit in? If I went as a single, are they are a lot? Couples?

Safety? Crime?

PS - I believe the over 55 communities are looked as safer to others and that's why younger residents may turn to them.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

11,296 posts, read 16,588,776 times
Quote:
To bad for DE, but Lennar does that in NJ. What you see in the model is what you get. And prices are reasonable for 55+. At present you can get about $50,000 of the website price, maybe more.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 AM

135 posts, read 297,092 times
Also, these models are professionally decorated. Why don't they just do a minimal amount of decorating...it's very difficult to picture my furniture there. We've actually looked at a finished home (empty with few upgrades), the same design as the decorated model, and didn't recognize it as the same home. I would imagine there's a lot of profit in the upgrades.
At Independence, the heat vents are in the ceiling (no basements). Since heat rises, I asked how the heat reaches the floor. The answer was "it just does"....hmmm. Another couple touring the home with us said they had that problem and had to install a ceiling fan and reverse it in the winter. Always something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware