Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 28,816 times

Advertisements

I am from the NYC Metropolitan Area and am considering buying a townhouse in Rehoboth Beach, DE (Sterling Crossings) with myhusband and daughter. Although I didn't want to mention race; I guess I should mention that we African Americans in our 30's. We are writers with our own publishing company and hold corporate jobs with the benefit of working remote full-time and basically just want a change of pace. Can anyone give me their honest opinions/views about Rehoboth Beach?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM

44 posts, read 157,929 times
I love Rehoboth Beach as a summer destination, and I have two friends who live in nearby Lewes all year long. In general, Rehoboth is a very tolerant and liberal town (very gay-friendly and racially tolerant) although you will most definitely still realize that you are in the "visible minority" there as an African-American. As a New Yorker, you will become bored and restless in the winters, but luckily, DC is only a short 3-hour trip away and offers a nice array of options. Hopefully, you will make friends who live in the DC area who are willing to give you a free place to stay when you get an itch for some urban exposure. Good Luck with your move.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 28,816 times
Thank you laminmd, for the feedback!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM

41 posts, read 140,365 times
I grew up in Wilmington but have vacationed in Lewes/Rehoboth beach my whole life. It, like most communities are much more tolerant than years ago. The coast area tends to be transient, diverse, educated, upper income, and more liberal than inland or west Sussex, West Sussex communites are very nice but much more "folksy and local". People in general are very solid in all Sussex in general. I would check out Lewes - it is more of a family town than RB but both are awesome. I lived in NYC for 7 years and it is the opposite of Delaware in so many ways. People are REALLY nice. Get ready for small town USA and everyone knowing each other. Personally I like want a community like that for my kids so no complaining here. Philly is about 2 hours and the airport is even closer. Wilmington is also a stone throw away. Although I'm not african american I think you will be just fine. Again very tolerate in these parts and I think your kids will fit in nicely. GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,127 times
Rehoboth is nice but unless you like HUGE crowds 9-10 months of the year, and high cost of living, then I don't advise it. I have been going to Rehoboth Beach since I was a young girl and almost every year hear one of the resident locals complaining about the tourists, which they have a right to do, but should also understand that Rehoboth is a resort town and always will be innundated with tourists and people who come to stay longer because they think they can hack it, but then eventually leave because the noise, congestion, and general rucous that goes on for most of the year. A better idea would be to purchase a vacation home that you rent out during the spring and summer, much of the fall, and then use during the off-season between December and March.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,932,969 times
Could you (the OP) possibly consider a longer term rental in the Rehoboth-Lewes corridor so you could see what the area is really like for you over a period of a few months? My own aesthetics are such that I have fantasies of living in old Lewes, but realistically I'm afraid my partner and I would find it very boring (particularly as we find much more urban northern New Castle County rather boring). I'd suggest looking before you leap, so to speak.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 AM

9,693 posts, read 14,177,401 times
All true. Rehoboth Beach is pretty much a tourist trap, and not too exciting for those accustomed to much more, and also those remembering how relaxing and clean it was previously. Just the Rt. 1 (Coastal Highway) trek down in warm months, May through September, is a turnoff. Being a local, I know other ways to get down there for my work. Not too many Delaware license plates on Rt. 1 during that time period. Some locals down there have a tourist farewell party on Labor Day, lining Coastal Hwy. with signs having derogatory messages.

Added note: I was down there the other day and the boardwalk renovations aren't complete yet. Don't know if they will be by Memorial Day, but we'll see.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 AM

445 posts, read 1,431,484 times
I agree with Ianinmd; Rehoboth is very diverse and the commercial hub of the DE beaches. Younger, active, etc. Further south the Bethany & Fenwick areas have a large influx from the DC area/2nd home people and is a more sleepy/family area. There is a lot of diversity along the DE beaches and I'd be surprised if most anyone could not find an area they felt really comfortable in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware