Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

I was exploring in DE and came across a few 55+ communities that people might want to explore.
I'm still checking out some facts, but I thought these were interesting places to note.
Village of Cinderberry ( the cutest name winner for sure)
Fallbrooke
Bay Crossing
Cedar Bay
Meadow Drive
I found these in DEretiree dot com for others looking to move into the area.
Village of Cinderberry has homes in the $200+ range. It is located in
Georgetown, and it is listed the HOA fees are 3,144 per year.

Cedar Bay seems to be on the way towards Bethany....200+ townhomes, and condos. Not far from the beach...Pools in!

Bay Crossing up by Lewes and Cape Henlopen, that area...
Fallbrooke is in Millsboro but I don't see anything up for sale there (?)

I need to do more exploring myself but I thought people who wanted condos, townhomes, or a type of attached home......in 55+ might want to take a stroll to that site and check things out.

If you have seen these, or know about them.......It would help others if you would post here.

So far I didn't see any single family homes except at the 55+ called Independence..........I could be wrong as I havn't finished checking things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities DE Delaware
Wow, I didn't know how many 55+ choices you would have in Delaware. This is a great site for checking out lots of available places. Facts and a bunch of tremendous information.
Happy House Hunting.......
( Some regular communities in here too)

Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Neat links, Summering, thx for all the links (and I like the name Cinderberry too!), we could spend months checking out these places, LOL! Speaking for myself though, would want one level and hopefully 3 bdrms but we have time yet. All the info and choices is appreciated.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
I used that page a few years ago when I first started to look at Delaware. There are some good links there, but the page itself has not been updated in quite a while. Be sure you double-check some of those links. At least two of those projects (Coastal Club by Del Webb and Central Parke at Milford Ponds) were abandoned in 2006 and 2007 respectively. I was very interested in seeing both.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
I also used this page a few years ago and I believe I posted this website in the 55+ thread.
Of course it has been updated since then. Really has grown. Wow......even in this market. Well thats a good sign.

Not sure if this still holds true but De was supposed to be the new Florida.
The weather is more seasonal with winters that are not as long or severe as other states.
Personally.....I like the seasons.
Plus.....taxes are lower.

The older communities on the list we did visit.....don't forget.....we started looking 5 years ago. Some communities on that list weren't even on the map then.

I knew what we wanted and I knew what we could afford.
Our lsit was narrowed down to 3 communities.
Bon Ayre
Sussex West
and Southern Meadow
Of course everyone knows the outcome.
Sussex west was nice, very nice and close to the beach but no pool. That was the draw back for us plus all the traffic in the area during the summer.
Nah.......couldn't handle that.
Being in Kent county, for us, is so much better and we are just a half hour from the beach.

I believe Charley and others have given reports on some communities on the list as well. They listed all important facts as they saw them.
There is a host of great information in the 55+ community thread already with more to come on all these newer communities.

Hunting for a retirement home was a wonderful and exciting adventure. I miss those days sometimes.
But we have arrived and enjoying every moment.
Good luck to all that are looking for their retirement dream.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM

144 posts, read 361,017 times
[quote=Summering;11027607]55+ Active Adult, Age Restricted & Active Lifestyle Communities DE Delaware
Wow, I didn't know how many 55+ choices you would have in Delaware. This is a great site for checking out lots of available places. Facts and a bunch of tremendous information.
Happy House Hunting.......
( Some regular communities in here too)[/quote

Hi Summering: I did visit The Village of Cinderberry, a few months ago. It is a nice community, the HOA, is $262.00 a month, which includes the cable package, 65+ channels of digital cable tv, also internet access, as well as antivirus and firewall. Lifetime maintenance of the building exterior. Which means no more painting, caulking, fixing or replacing. Roofs, walls, walkways, porches, everything outside. House power washed annnually. All landscaping. Master hazard insurance policy for your enitre building. All homeowners need is a simple HO-6 policy for possessions. Commnity center with indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, exercise room, library, kitchen, shuffle board, horse shoes and conference room. Continuous maintenance of the private streets, which means cleaning and repair of roadways and parking areas, and snow removal to front door. Minimum billing for water, sewer and trash billed quarterly by Town of Georgetown is $120.00 - $160.00. They gave an example of city/county annual property taxes, example cost of house:$312,000, with no senior tax credit, = $950.000 city/county 1 year. There was a resale home on the market when we were there in July, and I pulled a ditto out of the real estate mail box and asking price for this house was $239,900 and it said that the HOA was $350.00 a month. It seems a little expensive for my pocket book, but other than that very nice and well kept community.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Is Cinderberry land owned/fee simple or lot rent community?

Just wondering cuz the HOA for $350 a month along with taxes is too expensive for our pocketbook. Just couldn't do it. Sounds like a great community though.

We really wanted to locate up in Northern DE cuz that was closer to our hometown but most of the places we looked at were too expensive.
Very nice but too expenisve.

DH and I didn't want to be house poor......instead we wanted to have extra money for spending.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Is Cinderberry land owned/fee simple or lot rent community?

Just wondering cuz the HOA for $350 a month along with taxes is too expensive for our pocketbook. Just couldn't do it. Sounds like a great community though.

We really wanted to locate up in Northern DE cuz that was closer to our hometown but most of the places we looked at were too expensive.
Very nice but too expenisve.

DH and I didn't want to be house poor......instead we wanted to have extra money for spending.
Cinderberry is land owned. On a new home, the sales person said HOA was $262 and on a resale home ditto that I pulled out of the real estate o mail box in front of the home said $350.

It makes sense to have the extra money for spending!!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 AM

135 posts, read 298,588 times
Just got back from "another" trip to DE (I think this is my 6th!..thankfully we're only 2 hours away). We started at Roesville and have pretty much discounted it b/c of it being too rural for us. I do love the homes though...just don't know if we'll live long enough to see any surrounding development
We found a new 55+ development called Village of Eastridge in Clayton which is next to Smyrna. Great location, very quite yet close to everything. Builder is Benchmark, a DE builder. They have 2 models, both of which I really liked. Prices begin at $235K - $275K. One of the models does not have all the bells and whistles so you can see what your home will actually look like. They have only one house occupied and 4 under contract. There will only be 189 homes. Obviously no clubhouse and won't be for a "few" years. They do not plan to have a pool..HOA fees are $99 right now with $123 when clubhouse opens. Another great detail is there is an internal attic which is accessed through a door off the kitchen. It's huge for storage or can be finished off with another bedroom/bath with still another area for storage This is standard. Basements are $17K extra. They have both 2 and 3 bedroom models. If anyone is looking for a smaller community this is certainly worth a look. It truly is a great location...lots of trees surrounding the development.
We took a swing through Spring Meadow...this development must be about 80% - 90%completed..clubhouse is very nice and pool is in. Personally, just do not like any of the homes...which is unfortunate b/c this community is up and running..there are some resales.
Also took a look at Bon Ayre, which is pre-manufactured. Community is very nice...no one in the sales office when we were there. Did look at a model...they begin at $125K which leads me to believe it's a land lease community.
Does anyone know anything about Millville by the Sea? It's not a 55+ but looks interesting. Think we'll take another look at Champion's Club. How many homes are occupied?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Just got back from "another" trip to DE (I think this is my 6th!..thankfully we're only 2 hours away). We started at Roesville and have pretty much discounted it b/c of it being too rural for us. I do love the homes though...just don't know if we'll live long enough to see any surrounding development
We found a new 55+ development called Village of Eastridge in Clayton which is next to Smyrna. Great location, very quite yet close to everything. Builder is Benchmark, a DE builder. They have 2 models, both of which I really liked. Prices begin at $235K - $275K. One of the models does not have all the bells and whistles so you can see what your home will actually look like. They have only one house occupied and 4 under contract. There will only be 189 homes. Obviously no clubhouse and won't be for a "few" years. They do not plan to have a pool..HOA fees are $99 right now with $123 when clubhouse opens. Another great detail is there is an internal attic which is accessed through a door off the kitchen. It's huge for storage or can be finished off with another bedroom/bath with still another area for storage This is standard. Basements are $17K extra. They have both 2 and 3 bedroom models. If anyone is looking for a smaller community this is certainly worth a look. It truly is a great location...lots of trees surrounding the development.
We took a swing through Spring Meadow...this development must be about 80% - 90%completed..clubhouse is very nice and pool is in. Personally, just do not like any of the homes...which is unfortunate b/c this community is up and running..there are some resales.
Also took a look at Bon Ayre, which is pre-manufactured. Community is very nice...no one in the sales office when we were there. Did look at a model...they begin at $125K which leads me to believe it's a land lease community.
Does anyone know anything about Millville by the Sea? It's not a 55+ but looks interesting. Think we'll take another look at Champion's Club. How many homes are occupied?

Hi Susie, Thanks for the information regarding The Village of Eastridge, in Clayton. I will definitely visit this development when I return to DE, for a visit. I love the homes at Roesville as well, but I have to agree it is quite rural. Medical and shopping is not close by, which can be a inconvenience. Thanks for the very informative information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware