Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 118,093 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are considering the following builders for a home in New Castle County:
LC Homes
Bestfield Homes
Handler Corporation
Capano Homes
Anderson Homes

So far these builders look okay to me after I checked them out on some consumer complaint websites. I'd like to hear if anyone's had experience with any of these builders, either good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 AM

12 posts, read 44,533 times
do not go with handler, very bad experience. our house took almost 8 months to build when they put spec homes up in less than 3months. numerous problems that they had to continue to come back out and fix.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM

324 posts, read 1,215,877 times
I don't own a home by any of the builders but I will say Anderson homes that I have been in seem to be of good quailty (little to no drywall defect, floors don't creak or moan, doors fit well and don't stick, trim work looks good, etc)

I never did like the look of the Capano homes that I have been in - not quality, just looks and layouts (plus, the Capano name doesn't sit well with me since his brother dumped that girl in the ocean)

Old 12-14-2009, 11:16 AM

377 posts, read 1,109,813 times
I have an Anderson home and am very happy with it. We considered a Handler home too, but am very happy that we went with Anderson instead. They were very good to work with.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,292 times
Do not go with Capano, quality of the house is not very good. I own one of the new built. In our community with over 100 houses, everyone has problem, but they simply not respond...they will push all ur problem to the 2-10 warranty. all my neighbor and myself have the never completed first year checklist items and NEVER has completed. and they simply push it off to the 2-10 warranty...now, my house is only 4 years old. one of the fix that they have made in the past is broken again...(basement foundation) water leaking, they are no longer taking any responsibilities and ask me to contact 2-10 warranty. the response I come back from 2-10 warranty, is ...this has no safety issue, and they will not fix it...in addition, the roofing of the construction has never done properly. they are using the 1" nail to nail the roof, after 2-3 years, ur roof will eventually blown off...mine just happened, and what a surprise, the roof company told me that since the incorrect nail is being used...your 25 years roof warranty is void since incorrect installation.
Just stay away from Capano...Highly NOT RECOMMENDED

Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM

699 posts, read 2,884,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj33 View Post
Do not go with Capano, quality of the house is not very good. I own one of the new built. In our community with over 100 houses, everyone has problem, but they simply not respond...they will push all ur problem to the 2-10 warranty. all my neighbor and myself have the never completed first year checklist items and NEVER has completed. and they simply push it off to the 2-10 warranty...now, my house is only 4 years old. one of the fix that they have made in the past is broken again...(basement foundation) water leaking, they are no longer taking any responsibilities and ask me to contact 2-10 warranty. the response I come back from 2-10 warranty, is ...this has no safety issue, and they will not fix it...in addition, the roofing of the construction has never done properly. they are using the 1" nail to nail the roof, after 2-3 years, ur roof will eventually blown off...mine just happened, and what a surprise, the roof company told me that since the incorrect nail is being used...your 25 years roof warranty is void since incorrect installation.
Just stay away from Capano...Highly NOT RECOMMENDED
Regarding the 2/10 warranty...do you have to pay an annual premium to keep it in place after the two years?

Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM

324 posts, read 1,215,877 times
not to my knowledge - it is something the builder subscribes to

Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,464 times
Are you by chance in Heron Bay?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,149 times
New to the blog and not sure if you have an area in mind but Brookfield Homes has an excellent reputation, especially in Delaware for their Heritage Shores community. Check them out. Love my house!!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 74,734 times
Default How About Sussex?

Any advice, warnings, or recommendations regarding Sussex County new construction builders? We are looking for new homes in the central part of the county (not the shore or western; ie, Seaford areas) up to 300k, 55+ or not, don't care about schools (kids grown & gone). Our research reveals numerous builders currently building...would appreciate any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware