U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,064,003 times

Advertisements

I am finishing up college and I am going to be graduating with an Economics degree.

I live in North Jersey, and I am looking to move, but would prefer to stay close enough that I would be able to drive up for a weekend without major planning/difficulty

Is Wilmington a decent area to be looking at? I hear the city itself is not very good, but are there jobs in the financial sector? Are there any nice areas where a person in there mid 20's would be able to have a good time, and still have a reasonable rent?

Pretty much the only reason im moving in the first place is I dont see myself being financially comfortable in NJ... I would have to pay like $1200 just in rent every month for an average apartment. Then with the high costs of homes, it just would probably not be in my best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,317,043 times
I think you've really got to prioritise looking for a suitable job. After all, what you are going to be able to afford anywhere is going to be dependent on the combination of salary and local cost of living. Further, this is a matter of your career path and unless you are merely taking a break before going to grad school, you need to get the most significant job you can that will provide a basis for career advancement. If you wish to stay near Jersey but not in Jersey, I would also be looking at opportunities in eastern PA and in MD as well as in DE.

To answer your question, the Trolley Square area of Wilmington is a very good place for 20-somethings and some moderate rents are available, I think. It is where all the cool/hip young professionals, young adult students, and slackers seem to live and there are quite a lot of night spots both in Trolley and nearby in Little Italy. As another option, I suppose there may be some good areas near UD in Newark, although that will tend to put you in a place with bunches of students rather than young professionals; I also think there is greater crime against persons committed against students and young people near UD than in the Trolley Square area of Wilmington where crime is more likely to be property crime (theft from cars, etc). This is not to imply that either area is a high crime or dangerous area for reasonably aware and prudent people, however.

As to the availability of good jobs in the financial sector here, that's certainly not as good as it was before the economic downturn. Although I'm optimistic about economic recovery, I suspect the banking and financial sectors here in northern DE will continue to struggle for the foreseeable future and I actually expect to see better leading economic growth in other sectors.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,000,829 times
You're welcome to move to Delaware.. just as long as you won't talk crap on Delaware once you get here (as everybody tends to do!)

There are really only 2 options in your area. Newark, and Wilmington. Newark is a small town, Main Street kind of thing. Low rents, total college crowds, and you'd probably feel at home, as everybody at the University is either from North Jersey or NY. It has quite a few bars, and lots of "mating potential."

I'm not very suburban, so I'd go with Trolley Square. The area is a bit overrated with the bar reputation, but underrated as a really nice place to live where you can get everything you need within 3 blocks (markets, bars, public transit, park, coffee shop, etc.) The only thing not in walking distance would be a clothing store. Most people from Wilmington go to the suburbs to shop for clothes.

Wilmington's downtown blows, but it is starting to improve. Unless you like living in a ghosttown with bums and drug addicts walking around, you won't live downtown. Work/daytime is a completely different story.

The other benefit to Wilmington is that there are Chinatown Buses, SEPTA (regional,) Amtrak, Greyhound, Phillycarshare, and much more connectivity with the rest of the seaboard. You can get from your neighborhood to a Chinatown bus for 1 dollar (DART,) and go to NYC. You can also take transit to the train station, and get to Philly for 8-9 bucks on SEPTA.

Hope that helps you out.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 30,301 times
My husband and I live in Delaware and have for most of our lives. We are mid-twenties and currently live in Bear, De. However with the way that Bear is set up on the map, you would really proably consider us Middletown (off Rt. 896). We love it here, and find that quick access to I-95 has us traveling to the city quickly (about 1/2 hour), Newark (bar scene) in about 20 minutes. If you're looking in the Wilmington Area, I too would suggest Trolley Square. I agree that it's a little more upscale than "traditional" newark (I say this because there's 3 different Newark zipcodes/areas each boasting something different, traditional Newark being the party scene/UD Campus/Main St. and other Newark Areas being often referred to as Pike Creek area). I think that you could find some decent apartments here in your price range, but you can difinitely get an apartment that is larger and costs less in rent in areas such as Newark, of the Wilmington Suburbs (like 19808 area). There are some really nice, affordable, places in these areas that don't boast the city price tag.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,317,043 times
For married twenty-somethings I don't think that the areas to live are so restricted, but if you are a single I wouldn't recommend living anywhere other than Wilmington -including its immediate suburbs- or Newark close to the UD campus. Overall, I think Trolley Square is probably the best area for young single professionals. However, there are also apartments in Greenville - a very upscale Wilmington suburb (where Joe Biden's home is) - that are only minutes from the social life of Trolley Square, a straight shot on Rt 52/Kennett Pike/Pennsylvania Avenue (it's all one continuous road -- we like to give multiple names to all major thoroughfares in DE). I'd recommend looking into the Greenville Place Apartments in that case -- although they are old, they are in a very safe, convenient part of town and I understand are adequately managed and maintained.

The Delaware beach towns could be very enjoyable places to live during the summer, but there's relatively little to do during the winter months and there aren't a lot of job opportunities down there anyway for most people unless you work in a restaurant or bar.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM

604 posts, read 1,778,598 times
Considering OP is just finishing school, I suggest he should hang around in Newark, unless he considers university environment too juvenile for his liking. I reckon that he would still be interested in mingling or coming across young people - graduate students - which will be possible in Newark. In Wilmington his choices will be restricted to bar scenes or work place.

As to financnial center jobs there are as many jobs in Wilmington proper as there are outside it.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM

316 posts, read 772,934 times
I didnt want to start a new thread for basically the same thing- - The difference being My wife & I are in our early fifties. The company I worked for, for over 13 years had to lay off 20% of thier employees. I unfortunelty lost my production supervisor position to some guy in Korea. This is a large industrial cable business. They are now outsourcing the assembly Division , but will be warehousing the connectors and cable in NJ- - ANYWAY - - ->>>
Ive been offered a position with one of the venders that I used to purchase shipping supplies from. They are here in NJ- but it looks like in 6 months or so, they will be moving the company to the Wilmington De,area. Its out of my field- but manufactoring and production in general are being moved south- - or over seas. The owner tells me its not" in stone"- but he is looking to put his house on the market and he has some business contacts in Delaware- - Sounds to me like he is thinking seriously about this move.
Ive never be in Wilmington. I dont have any young children- and the older one can visit. So school systems are not an issue. Lets say my wife ,as a Quality Conrol supervisor and makes a nice salary can get close to the same down there. Of course I would not be making what I was up here and would have to compromise. We would be looking to rent in the --850- range. Over here I pay less than that in a real nice area, because its the upstairs in my Moms house- -***
Is that even possible for a nice(rather large) 1 BR place- & what is that city all about?? - I drive, but is thier public transportation? Is there any area that is known for its shops and resturants?- Are most rentals in multi- family homes or apt.complexes (which Im not crazy about)-
Anyone??
Thanks>
ceffo

Last edited by tceffo; 01-04-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 05:10 PM

604 posts, read 1,778,598 times
tceffo:

$850 will be the low number for the range of rents in a decent area that is not a part of an apartment complex. That will be a real hunt .... but you have time on your hand.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

316 posts, read 772,934 times
Hmmm I sure we would be able to pay 1000 for rent- but we would rather not. - Yes ,we do have time- - If I find out this business is definetly going to move there- Ill have to get more serious.- Moving to the next town can be the wrong move sometimes- never mind a few hours away
Right now its just talk, and still in the checking commerical building & properties stage.
Thanks for your time

Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
For married twenty-somethings I don't think that the areas to live are so restricted, but if you are a single I wouldn't recommend living anywhere other than Wilmington -including its immediate suburbs- or Newark close to the UD campus. Overall, I think Trolley Square is probably the best area for young single professionals. However, there are also apartments in Greenville - a very upscale Wilmington suburb (where Joe Biden's home is) - that are only minutes from the social life of Trolley Square, a straight shot on Rt 52/Kennett Pike/Pennsylvania Avenue (it's all one continuous road -- we like to give multiple names to all major thoroughfares in DE). I'd recommend looking into the Greenville Place Apartments in that case -- although they are old, they are in a very safe, convenient part of town and I understand are adequately managed and maintained..
It's been awhile since I've lived in Wilmington (about six years since we left), although I've been back to visit since. We lived in Trolley Square, which was great. Very walkable, convenient, attractive buildings, good restaurant options and things to do that don't involve driving. I'd highly recommend it. I also had several friends who lived in Greenville; can't remember the name, but assume it's the Greenville Place Apartments mentioned here. I had heard that they were built for the kids of the wealthier DE residents; somewhere decent to live when you're young and getting started out, before starting a family and moving into a house. Not sure if it's true or not, but makes sense. It's a very short drive from Trolley Square, but is quieter and probably cheaper. They seemed well-maintained and my friends enjoyed it there. (they were all post-college mid to late 20s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or