Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 46,190 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find out if anyone heats with propane. I see some communities use propane and some use electric. Can anyone give me a heads up of the costs and which you like the best and why. We are planning a move to southern Delaware within the next 6 months.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 34,823 times
Default I wouldn't

Propane prices in Delaware will be volatile/unpredictable in the upcoming year due to the permanent shutdown of the Delaware City Refinery.

Propane isn't the most cost effective way to heat a home anyway, but whatever figures you may get be aware...past pricing will likely not be representative of future pricing in the area. Natural gas, if available is already cheaper and likely will only be more so in the future.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siszapzoo View Post
I have been trying to find out if anyone heats with propane. I see some communities use propane and some use electric. Can anyone give me a heads up of the costs and which you like the best and why. We are planning a move to southern Delaware within the next 6 months.
Thanks!!
Propane Gas is a popular source of heat in Kent and Sussex Counties, and many subdivisions not having access to natural gas use propane. Actually, it's the norm, I've found for rural type subdivisions. Pricing depends on many factors - size of the house, how you set your thermostat, how well the house is insulated, and the company you buy from. In subdivisions, I've seen different propane gas companies servicing the same area. Usually those heating with propane have an electric heat pump backup.

OP - If you buy an existing home, have the seller provide you with copies of their propane bills over a one-year period. If new construction or proposed new construction, have the builder show you bills from the subdivision, or area. It's typical to ask for these.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Within the next couple of months I'm planning to contract with a propane company in southern Sussex County. Propane is my only gas option. I'm installing a Reni tankless water heating system and a gas cooktop.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a provider? I have a quote from Suburban for around $2K.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Hi rockky!
I've never had any experience with propane companies down that way. Have you thought of Sharp Energy? They seem to be pretty busy in that area.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 AM

Thanks, rdlr! Actually, I don't know any of the companies in the area. I've never used propane before.....anywhere. We have a heat pump, but it doesn't do the job from Dec.-March or so. Some of it is original.....20 years old. I'm starting with the water heating. Electric costs are very high at the beach since they got that huge rate increase a few years ago. I may end up adding a propane heating source at some point.

We do have propane here in the mountains, but I'm not involved with any of it other than taking the delivery slip from the door at times. We have Suburban here, and their delivery has been good. They tend to screw paper work and billing up though. Several people in this community have reported problems with them in this geographic area. I simply figured they're 'big' and won't go out of business like some of the smaller suppliers have done.

I'll check out Sharp. Thanks for the lead.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
Which mountains (in De;aware) you are referring to Rockky? (lol)

Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM

LOL!....no mountains in DE, armx. I have a home in Sussex Co., DE.....built it in 1989...small....under 1400 sq.ft. Right now I'm sitting in front of a large window in the Poconos (PA) watching the snow, the deer, and a variety of other creatures. (Including the cable guy who just arrived to do work. )

I'm extremely lucky. I can drive for 3.5ish hours and be at the ocean or enjoy the beauty of the cooler mountain summers on the lake. The travel time from here is the same as it was from my home in York Co., PA. 476 to 95 to 1....zip! I'm there!

The spring and fall are such prime times in southern DE.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM

8 posts, read 46,190 times
Default Does anyone heat with propane?

I was wondering if anyone heats their house with propane and what the pros and cons are, including costs. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
My use for propane is concise and specific, it is the fuel of choice when I make up a 5 pound (dry weight) batch of my boiled Peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware