U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM

4,645 posts, read 6,437,770 times

Advertisements

We've had many discussions here about crime in DE and in various cities and towns. I live in a rather safe bit of northern NCCo and generally stay out of the places where most crimes against persons occur. However, I'm really getting appalled at the reports of crimes - robberies and home invasions - in many of the suburbs and outlying areas of Wilmington, New Castle, Newark, and Bear; also in Elsmere to some extent. We've discussed on this forum the difficulty in making crime comparisons from one city to another. You can't really use the City of Wilmington statistics as a basis for comparison with many other cities, because the City of Wilmington is a tiny, compact municipality with most of the population of "Wilmington" actually residing in the surrounding suburbs. Likewise, it seems specious to use stats for NCCo as a whole, because then you're generalising over an excessively large and diverse area. How can one get an accurate picture of the incidence of crime in the northern NCCo area that can then be compared to other cities that have more normally encompassing city limits with the corresponding demographic diversity? I don't want to have my head in the sand about crime in urbanised northern New Castle County, but I'm unsure how to get a meaningful picture for comparison purposes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 AM

4,628 posts, read 5,984,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I don't want to have my head in the sand about crime in urbanised northern New Castle County, but I'm unsure how to get a meaningful picture for comparison purposes.
Good Morning, doctorjef! Not having lived outside Delaware, of course, I can't speak to that as well as you, since you've traveled extensively, and have lived elsewhere. I'm sure you've seen the crime map for Delaware, which only compares various towns with others, right in Delaware. But, here's a link which may be helpful when comparing towns/cities in Delaware, to other states' towns/cities. When you plug in a Delaware town/city, a place will come up for you to compare Delaware with. Don't know how helpful this might be.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 AM

53 posts, read 238,028 times
From the County Web Site

Geo NCC Locations (http://www.nccde.org/sqlcrime.asp - broken link)

Enter the address and it will show the crimes in the immediate area. While it doesn't give numerical data, the map gives a visual display of the type and frequency of crimes committed as reported and handled by the New Castle County Police Department only. I'm not sure if the data is updated weekly or monthly.

Last edited by Baconator; 01-17-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM

4,645 posts, read 6,437,770 times
Thanks, but what I'm aiming at is a meaningful comparison of crime in what might be called the Wilmington-Newark metro area overall with other cities that have similarly sized populations.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,032,057 times
I'm not sure where they get their stats, but these people take an extraordinary interest: City Murder Rates - Page 199 - SkyscraperPage Forum

They seem to do CSAs (counting Philly and Vineland) MSAs (counting Philadelphia) and subdivisions (just Wilmington-Newark.)

As much as I don't want to believe it, these days, Philly and Wilmington do work as one continous area these days, meaning Wilmington is thrown in with Camden and Philly in almost any counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware