U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 9,497 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been considering Newark De for our relocation from NJ. I like the Newark Center for Creative learning private school in Newark and think maybe I could handle the daily commute to APG. I also love college towns and like the fact that Newark has at least a "one street" down town and some health food stores etc. My son would be in starting the 4th grade when we move.

We would need to rent the first few years and we have a big dog.

1) does anyone know how the commute is from Newark to APG traveling at 7:00 am to APG MD and at 4:00 back to Newark?

2) does anyone know nice apartments that would take a 65 lb (Golden Retriever) dog in the area?

3) does anyone know about the Center for Creative Learning?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

377 posts, read 993,246 times
We just relocated to De. from NJ with the BRAC and my husband commutes exactly 40 min to work. We live off Rt. 40 right near the border of Md though. He takes Rt 40 in. He goes in at 7am and comes home at 4pm. The bridge near Havre De Grac can get backed up around 530 I was told though. We had a house built, so I do not know about apartments. School was a priority for us and that was another reason we moved to this particular area.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 34,303 times
This is right on the money. I also was interested in the commute times as I also have been researching Newark De. I am currently overseas working but would like to relocate in the Newark area. Im hoping to to find work at APG or I am willing to even commute to Baltimore area . I know Bmore is a lengthy trip from Newark but Im willing to deal with it.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

thank you for your information...so 45 mintues from Newark center is optimistic then???

I really like the looks of the school I mentioned, we do alternative education now. We are going to the open house in Feb.

I am a bit worried about the commute I only commute 20 mintues now. My son will be 10 when we move and I'm a single mom...so that is an extra hour and 1/2 away from him a day....UGH! Bel Aire (the next place I would consider) is about 30 minutes to APG so really it is only and extra 1/2 hour a day.

But Harford seems so expensive compared to Newark DE. I also like the diversity in Newark and closeness to Phila.

The schools seem better in Newark area if we decided not to go private.

Maybe they will do more for commuters??? Buses or rail lines to APG.

It is such a tuff decission to make!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,000,536 times
Might wanna tell people you're talking about Aberdeen. APG doesn't mean much to Delawareans.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanks Joe84323 good point! that is exactly why I am considering Delaware...I think MD will be BRAC'd out and traffic and school systems, services etc are going to take a big hit in that area for the first few years.

Newark hopefully will be our home....now I just need a hovercraft to get to work faster LOL

Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 73,077 times
rjam...I know what you mean...LOL. I wouldn't count on any public transportation to APG as the rail lines out of the way.

1) does anyone know how the commute is from Newark to APG traveling at 7:00 am to APG MD and at 4:00 back to Newark?

Yeah it's about 40-45 minutes via Rt 40. Personally, I would try and get a place a little closer in Cecil County. Although the schools aren't the greatest around here, and I would recommend either private or going to DE, there are some private schools in the area. Harford County is going to be a bit more expensive, but since you are renting for a while, that shouldn't be too bad.

2) does anyone know nice apartments that would take a 65 lb (Golden Retriever) dog in the area?
You need to look at renting a house, because most places won't go for a dog that big.

Newark is a nice area. Cecil Co...well that's a little more country/rural, however it's being built up. Harford Co. south of Rt 40 has a high crime rate. Bel Air is a good area to stick with, however there is some congestion. It really depends on how much you can afford, but for you I'd stick between Bel Air and North East as it's the same commute time wise.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM

78 posts, read 283,200 times
rjam, if you haven't already relocated it may be worth while to consider North east, Md. I go to Newark several times a week for various reasons. It's a great little college town. But, it does leave you a bit farther away from APG. I rarely find the bridge pver the Susquehanna backed up and travel it at all times of the day. Plus, a one year toll pass is only $10.00. So, this is nice. In my neighnorhood in North east isles, which is a waterfront community there are numerous condos for rent. They tend to rent for about $1100 - 1400 month plu utitlities. The community has a pool, tennic courts, and private marina and little beach area so your kids may really enjoy all of that. You'd need to walk your dog, but that helps to introduce you to thwe neighbors. We have alarge 65 pounder ourselves and as we walk the neighborhood we inevitably enjoy conversation with the others doing the same thing. The people here are lovely too. I've lived here fulltime since 2005 and part time since 2001, having relocated from NJ.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM

604 posts, read 1,778,474 times
OP is on target for choosing Newark with all her desirable characteristics for her place to live.

The commute time within 5-10 minutes longer than desirable is a concern but that is a personal choice against other considerations that favor living in DE and close to MD border....... But having all these requirements met plus a 65 lb. dog OP should actually look into a purchase than a rental ...something has to give .....

A rental home that can allow a dog, is close to MD but in DE, near the school, and still be part of the Newark scene is desirable but a rare commodity indeed ... home for sale will offer more options, just sharing my perspective before OP gets dejected not finding any decent place to rent.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM

377 posts, read 993,246 times
I moved to Newark and my husband commutes to APG, but I feel like people don't want to hear about Newark. They would rather go to Ceciltucky or Bel Air. Bel Air is very nice and the closest to NJ, but it is also expensive. I wish more people with Brac would give De. a chance, but it doesn't look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware