U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM

52 posts, read 99,736 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing with Kraft Foods in Dover next week (over the phone) and have been reading through the Delaware thread. I'm in my early 20s, African American female soon-to-be engineering grad.

What would one think of living in Wilmington and working in Dover (which I Google mapped and saw it was about 54 mins away)?

I go to The Ohio State University so I've lived in Columbus, OH (15th-ish largest city in the US) for 5+ years so I definitely will want things to do, people to see, places to go.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 PM

445 posts, read 1,289,700 times
2.5-3.0 hrs a day in commute, but there would be little if any stop and go traffic time. Unfortunately a very slow bus trip would be your only mass transit option.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:44 AM

7,381 posts, read 10,830,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowYouCcakes View Post
What would one think of living in Wilmington and working in Dover (which I Google mapped and saw it was about 54 mins away)?
TIA!
Don't know where in Wilmington you will be coming from, but a quick jump on Route 1 will get you in Dover in about 40 minutes. From Rt. 1, take Scarborough Road Exit, and shoot across Rt. 13. Scarborough Road changes to Saulsbury Road which takes you directly to Kraft Foods. Overall, a little less than one hour, one way will do it, but a smooth ride, as jdoll said. Owning a car is pretty much a must.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 AM

12,635 posts, read 28,167,967 times
Just a suggestion.... Dover is a tiny city but it IS the state Capital and a nice place to live. My suggestion would be to live there for a year while you concentrate on your new job and acclimate to the area. It will be easy enough to get to Wilmington, Baltimore or Washington DC or the beach on any weekend from there but during the week you could breathe. The commute from Dover to Wilmington (especially around Newark) will not be fun day in and day out.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 AM

40 minutes once you are on Route 1, maybe. But you can't do a door to door commute in 40 minutes. Sorry rdlr. If you live near the Christiana Landing area or Downtown Wilmington your commute will be an hour. My commute from Odessa to Downtown Wilmington each day is 45 minutes and my drive to Sam's in Dover (the opposite direction)takes 20 minutes. It is something near 60 miles each way, Downtown Wilmington to Kraft in Dover. And when considering places to live (if you get to that point), remember I-95 at peak commute time is rarely your friend. Good luck on your interview.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just a suggestion.... Dover is a tiny city but it IS the state Capital and a nice place to live. My suggestion would be to live there for a year while you concentrate on your new job and acclimate to the area. It will be easy enough to get to Wilmington, Baltimore or Washington DC or the beach on any weekend from there but during the week you could breathe. The commute from Dover to Wilmington (especially around Newark) will not be fun day in and day out.
A thought to be considered. And while the action for a 20-something may be in Wilmington during the winter, it is at the beaches in the summer. For a 20-something, Dewey Beach to be exact. Plus you will find a good sized Afro-American community in Dover.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
40 minutes once you are on Route 1, maybe. But you can't do a door to door commute in 40 minutes. Sorry rdlr. If you live near the Christiana Landing area or Downtown Wilmington your commute will be an hour. My commute from Odessa to Downtown Wilmington each day is 45 minutes and my drive to Sam's in Dover (the opposite direction)takes 20 minutes. It is something near 60 miles each way, Downtown Wilmington to Kraft in Dover. And when considering places to live (if you get to that point), remember I-95 at peak commute time is rarely your friend. Good luck on your interview.
I agree with you, jdoll. I was thinking the way I go up almost every day, from Dover - Route 1 and jump on I-95. It depends on one's destination. When I hit 95 my timer goes off. After that, it gets hairy.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,343,193 times
I would suggest trying not to get into longer than a six month lease in Dover, if possible. That would give you the experience of living in the relatively closer proximity to the beach during the summer, so you could see more what that scene holds for you. I find that people either don't mind fairly lengthy commutes or hate them (I hate them). If you've prior experience of a regular commute of an hour or more and were ok with it, then living in Wilmington/Newark and working in Dover might be fine for you. There are MUCH worse urban commutes than that one (most of the travelling between Wilmington and Dover isn't urban or even really suburban). Wilmington also gives you easy access to Philly, which won't be so good if you are based down in Dover (though I'm personally no fan of Philadelphia). Rail travel is also easier from Wilmington since there isn't any passenger service through Dover. Dover does have a major air force base and a significant historically black university (Delaware State), which no doubt contribute to some night life and social scene. The Wilmington social scene/night life isn't that great, in truth. Newark would be the main collegiate scene (University of Delaware) and would also be a somewhat shorter commute to Dover (though whether it would actually be faster would probably depend on precisely where in Newark you lived and time of day of commuting). I know that I wouldn't think it at all desireable to live in Wilmington/Newark and commute to Dover on a daily basis; but then again I know that some people are fine with the concept.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Well said, doctorjef - I guess bottom line is, it's all relative to what one is accustomed to, in regard to travel time.

I could tell stories about when Rt. 13 was DuPont Hwy. and one road, not two roads (really long travel times) but I'll save everybody the pain.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 99,736 times
Thanks for all the input. I've never commuted that far before but still feel up in the air about it. Never lived in a city that small before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or