U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

405 posts, read 956,426 times

Advertisements

We are moving into our house in Middletown on Wednesday and don't know much about the area. I checked the crime map and our development didn't show crime. Do you know anything about the Dove Run development behind the shopping center with Giant and Friendly's?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 AM

64 posts, read 26,250 times
dove run is awesome! you're lucky! i was just in there last weekend for a BBQ at a friends house, nice area

Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 AM

445 posts, read 900,522 times
The commute to Owings Mill. MD from Middletown can be expensive; $3.50 gas is bad enough but the tolls to/from are now $15 R/T, plus the cost of the tunnels in Baltimore. When you are experimenting with the best way don't forget to try Rt 301 and the Bay Bridge. No traffic, $2.50 in tolls R/T and your blood pressure remains normal. Odessa to BWI is 1hr-45min. Keep in mind I am in the "any road but I-95" club. I avoid it like the plague, which in my humble opinion is what it is.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 AM

4,628 posts, read 5,981,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
We are moving into our house in Middletown on Wednesday and don't know much about the area. I checked the crime map and our development didn't show crime. Do you know anything about the Dove Run development behind the shopping center with Giant and Friendly's?
Is this the crime map you speak of?
delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del.
It will show crimes being reported within the last 2 weeks, and then it will show the yearly summary. It's inevitable. Crime comes from Philadelphia and New York, and has sifted down to northern Delaware. It's worked it's way downstate, and will get worse.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM

well yeah, crime will crawl and bad people too. Some neighborhoods though, are high enough priced to where it would be prohibitive for a average crook, dealer, etc to live there.

I make a good honest living and i couldn't buy a house in Dove Run although i would love to, the houses in there are really nice, yards a tad on the small side but the houses IMO make up for that....

You will find some crime and such in the areas of Middletown Village townhouses and lake street, etc.....hope i dont offend people with that statement....it is pretty accurate though. I don't like talking about crime in and around DE cause i always think someone from there will be offended by my point of view. OTOH if you asked a person their opinion on the area I live in in New Castle, they would say there is plenty of crime there too, but I'm used to it

When the wife and I were looking for a home 2 years ago we actually looked in M-town village until we walked out of a model home, looked down the street and it seemed as though there was a mass of people moving in that didn't look so nice.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 AM

4,628 posts, read 5,981,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
well yeah, crime will crawl and bad people too. Some neighborhoods though, are high enough priced to where it would be prohibitive for a average crook, dealer, etc to live there.
Crooks don't have to live within a particular subdivision to rob it. We have Wild Quail Golf & Country Club here in Kent County. A couple of months ago some club members and guests had a poker game in the clubhouse. Around midnight or 1 a.m. some crooks walked right in the front door armed with guns, tied up the poker players, put pillow cases over the heads, beat them, and robbed them blind. A state police officer was one of the poker players, and allegedly, was in on the planning and robbery. So, when people ask 'where is the safe place to live in Delaware'.....there's no answer.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 AM

15,574 posts, read 7,710,186 times
I remember growing up in the suburbs of Philly. Anytime there was crime..."oh they come from the city". Well sometimes maybe but we had plenty of rotten eggs in the burbs too.
Once I got caught in a club under aged, many many moons ago. they hauled us off to the police station in paddy wagons.
The DA called my mom since I was 19 and still living at home. Her first words were "she is a good catholic school girl" Well the DA's office said "yeah, we get plenty of them too".
anyway.....I did learn my lesson.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM

That's all fine and well Delly, and i remember that news story, but still.......i would feel much safer in a neighborhood with $400k houses then in my neighborhood with $200k'ish houses....

just saying....

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
dove run is awesome! you're lucky! i was just in there last weekend for a BBQ at a friends house, nice area
Oh good that's a relief!!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Is this the crime map you speak of?
delawareonline The News Journal, Wilmington, Del.
It will show crimes being reported within the last 2 weeks, and then it will show the yearly summary. It's inevitable. Crime comes from Philadelphia and New York, and has sifted down to northern Delaware. It's worked it's way downstate, and will get worse.
I used a different crime map, yeah I know we chatted about all the crime in Delaware, and coming from an area with low crime to here it's pretty scarey for me. But what I like about the neighborhood is that everyone knows each other so I think that helps to keep crime down. They are putting together a neighborhood watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware