U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 28,215 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job opportunity in Wilmington, DE and thinking about where to live. I am married and have 2 small children. So, living in a safe neighborhood, quality public schools, nice house, decent amount of property (1+ acre) are all on the wish list. As a point of reference, the budget for the home purchase is in the $1M range. Easy access to restaurants, etc. is not a huge priority as long as there are the basics (i.e. grocery stores, etc) within 10 minutes.

I know very little about the area as I live in the Baltimore, MD area now. I have looked into the Wilmington, DE suburbs and see areas like Greenville, DE but think private school would be the only option there.

So, my questions are:
1. Would the commute from Gladwyne, Berwyn, Wayne areas be awful to Wilmington?
2. Any other areas that I should think about in either PA or DE?
3. How would you rank the three PA towns I mentioned based on what I am looking for?

Sorry for so many questions but I am running a little bit of a hurry up offense here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 AM

604 posts, read 1,778,762 times
First question would be which zip code in Wilmington is the office located? Many areas would have Wilmington or Newark in the address but located away from the towns by as much as 8-10 miles - a Delaware peculiarity - not too many towns per say.

Secondly, you might consider living in the Wilmington and surrounding area? If your budget is about $1mil you would have a lot of choice. This might afford smoother transition for the children, and greater opportunity for you to participate in the school life of the children and eliminate nay reduce the commute. I realize that you only asked about the commute but since you did mention Greenville I thought I would put my two cents about it.

Last edited by armx; 02-19-2010 at 04:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 AM

41 posts, read 123,783 times
You are right when you indicated that the public schools in the Wilmington area tend to be poor (aside from a few exceptions and several charter schools). BUT taxes are very low which in return enables you to send your child to a private school. Delawareans are weird when it comes to education, as a result of court ruling on desegregation, kids were forced to be bused away from the communities where they live. That practice has since been changed but it is taking a long time for public schools to recover. Most Delawareans are kind of clueless as to why public schools have suffered through the years. Public school "busing" have gutted the communities where they are. New Castle County has kids going to school all over the place and one of the highest percentage of private schooling in the country. Now in Penn. ,Wayne for example, the public school there is excellent and children live where the school is located, they attend the school and there is community involvement from parents and others. On the other hand the Rockford Park section of Wilmington which is similar in income and socio-economic status and has a school named Highlands that is not attended by those living in the area. Reason being? They send their children to nearby private schools..... Tower Hill, Friends, Tatnall etc. If I were you I would look at the Chester county area of PA - Kennet is very nice and close to the main line and has schools where you and your children feel as though you will be part of the community where you live. Good luck!!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 PM

604 posts, read 1,778,762 times
I don't surmise that the OP is terribly concerned about the costs as much as the convenience (minimizing unreasonable commute), less stress and the quality of schools - public or private.

Thanks to Henrynash for pointing out that that DE school districts have busing of various degrees for the higher elementary (grades 4-6) grades .. whether that is good or bad depends on one's perspective as to exposure to diversity....

In any case, there is a variety of choices of very good schools in New Castle County.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

728 posts, read 1,599,403 times
1 Million?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 PM

693 posts, read 2,616,002 times
The commute from the Main Line would not be pleasant. I 476, the Blue Route, is not great at rush hour and is absolutely horrible on Friday afternoons during the summer due to shore traffic. Rt. 202 would be the alternative from the western main line from towns like Malvern, Berwyn and Paoli maybe even West Chester, but not much better at rush hour . Check online for CBS3 traffic with Bob Kelly and see how many jammos occur along those corridors on a daily basis. Northern DE or even just over the PA state line in Kennett Square is a better choice from a commuting standpoint and In my opinion more scenic and picturesque than the Main Line. I was raised in Wayne but since I moved away I never had the desire to move back. Nice place to visit friends and family though.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,001,079 times
Main line wouldn't be great.

If you want to live in PA, do Downington, or Exton, or Chadds Ford. Those snotty Main Line towns are way overrated. Unless you're Jewish, I'd pass totally.

There's nothing wrong with DE's public schools, as long as you choice your kids in, and put them in high-phase classes. The reasons the schools do so bad on the tests are because of the lower-phase kids. The higher classes are still decent (Not to say your kid won't get beat up by the lower kids.)

Also, the difference in property taxes, and property value may totally make up for your kids' private school. Where I went to school in DE, many people drove from MD, NJ, and PA. We have very good private schools.

Also.. if you don't mind a commute,

a: you live in Baltimore already

b: consider Glassboro/Pitman, NJ. Cherry Hill is beautiful also. Property taxes will be bad.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:32 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,817,345 times
Main Line to Wilmington would be a killer. I'd look at Newark De near the University

Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM

82 posts, read 126,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Main line wouldn't be great.

If you want to live in PA, do Downington, or Exton, or Chadds Ford. Those snotty Main Line towns are way overrated. Unless you're Jewish, I'd pass totally.

There's nothing wrong with DE's public schools, as long as you choice your kids in, and put them in high-phase classes. The reasons the schools do so bad on the tests are because of the lower-phase kids. The higher classes are still decent (Not to say your kid won't get beat up by the lower kids.)

Also, the difference in property taxes, and property value may totally make up for your kids' private school. Where I went to school in DE, many people drove from MD, NJ, and PA. We have very good private schools.

Also.. if you don't mind a commute,

a: you live in Baltimore already

b: consider Glassboro/Pitman, NJ. Cherry Hill is beautiful also. Property taxes will be bad.
I find that extraordinarly offensive.
And not for nothing, but Cherry HIll is about an hour from Wilmington... and I'm suprised Joe8423 would mention it, as there are a lot of us Jews there too - so you would most likely want to stay away.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,001,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf3971 View Post
I find that extraordinarly offensive.
And not for nothing, but Cherry HIll is about an hour from Wilmington... and I'm suprised Joe8423 would mention it, as there are a lot of us Jews there too - so you would most likely want to stay away.
I can see that you have a few issues reading sentences without crying foul when somebody calls you out for what you were doing - moving to the Main Line because you were Jewish. (There's TONS of nice areas SO much closer to where you're going to work. If anything, we should be offended you don't want to move to Delaware.)

That being said, If I had said that Astoria, Queens is overrated unless you are Greek, I wouldn't have Greek people yelling and screaming. Why? because Greeks want to live around other Greeks. I'm Italian - we like to live around other Italians. Catholics - they find a value in living around OTHER CATHOLICS.

Every person in the area knows the Main Line is the main Jewish area in the Philly metro. They move there so that they can be around other Jews, and have their kids grow up with other Jews. The cat's out of the bag, and that's the real reason you would want a commute that far (which is what I suspected.)

The second thing is, the people in my age range, from where I'm from, don't even recognize Jews from the rest of the population. We were too busy getting jumped for our skin color to care about who wore a Yarmulke. So, respecfully, get over yourself. I was trying to help you out. Before 2007, I didn't know ONE Jew enough to form an opinion if I wanted.

Have fun in Narberth, and enjoy your commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or