U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM

1,363 posts, read 1,926,539 times
Default Cancer in Delaware

I came across this article (was also posted here in the forum in september) and I think, that's REALLY scary

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...804240339/1006

even more scary seems to be the fact, that governor Ruth Ann Miller refused (and I guess still refuses) to release data for finding out the reason
we should maybe wonder about her golf buddies ....

Cancer Clusters in Ohio, Delaware, Missouri Offer Clues, Concerns | On Call with Stacey Singer

"The Middletown-Odessa census division, which runs from the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal almost to the Kent County line, and has about 41,000 people, had a colorectal cancer rate 44.8 percent above the state average." (quoted from the delawareonline link above)

does it scare you, too ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM

215 posts, read 428,769 times
I don't think Minner will be releasing much data. She has left the building.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM

haha, you might be right on that, silly me . since we are not allowed to vote (only to pay taxes), I did not pay enough attention to that. But remember I was released after the vote, since I never was a fan of hers.

so do you think, Markell is handling this different ?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

773 posts, read 1,052,578 times
Just think, they're fixing to dredge up more goodies on the river bottom for us.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM

4,554 posts, read 5,690,215 times
And don't forget to consider this. Stats are based on the population, which includes the huge influx of people from everywhere.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,945,912 times
I'm 26, and knowing this, I have already started a regiment of antioxidants, and herbal cleanses.

The common consensus on the matter in Wilmington is that there was the first 150 years of DuPont dumping stuff in the ground before the EPA set standards in the 70s.

Yeah, it's illegal to dump that stuff now, but it's still in the ground since the early 1800s. Bring in the water cycle, and we're drinking chemicals. It doesn't help either that the Delaware river has some of the oldest, and most industrial cities on its shores.

Somebody told me that you're only recommended ONE fish per year from the Delaware river. That's scary enough to never want to get close to it. Add Marcus Hook, and the Schuylkill River, and by the time it gets to DE, it's darned nasty. To call it a toilet would be to insult the toilet (people complain about the Hudson.)

Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM

I saw that sign at the river myself. it stated, it would not be recommended to eat more than 2 fish a year out of this river

good thing you are already starting to protect yourself - as early as possible. not sure what exactly you can do, what really does help - if I read about the amount of contamination, it almost doesn't make any sense at all

we try to buy lots of organic food, filter our water twice (basement and sink) - but if you like to be outdoors (for running for example - to do something good to your body - you think ) you kind of poison yourself . well, at least that's how it feels like when you hear and read about all that crap in air, soil and water (and food of course).

dupont left a great legacy, gardens, museums, provides tons of jobs - but is also responsible for so much sickness and death of so many .

It makes me mad, that a governor just can decide NOT to provide more information. where are the rights of people who live here ?

we are planning on leaving the state this or next summer, and the more I read, the more it feels like "run as fast as you can - as long as you can".

just came home from a birthday party (dupont museum of natural history ) and heard of three new cancer cases - one toddler, one young mom and one younger man - numbers change SO much, as soon as you got a face to it

Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM

267 posts, read 435,248 times
"Herbal cleanses"? Living a healthy lifestyle is commendable. Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, even some yoga and meditation to keep down stress. All these things are good.

But you have to be smart. Just because something is called 'herbal' or 'natural' remedies does not make it safe. Nutritional supplements and vitamins are not tested or regulated by independent labs or governmental agencies. You may not be getting what you think you are. Worse you could be putting yourself into danger by exposing yourself to potential allergens or even toxins. At the very least tell your physician about what you are doing.

As for the cancer clusters, there has been talk of these for years. Here's what the state says about them:

Public Health: Cancer Cluster Investigations

The only cluster found is Indian River, and in that lung cancer cluster they've been unable to rule out higher incidences of smoking in that area. Having spent a lot of time in Sussex county it seemed to me that more people smoked down there than they did where I lived in Brandywine 100. It's quite possible that the cluster is caused by tobacco use - a known carcinogen - rather than something floating around the environment.

And anecdotal evidence is useless. I saw my mother-in-law and father-in-law die within 3 years of each other of cancer. They lived in Brandywine 100. Was it because he was a DuPont scientist? No. It was because they were in their 80's. When they were born the average lifespan for a child was 60. They even outlasted those born today.

Cancer is rare in young people and children, but it does happen and just because it happens doesn't mean there is a cluster.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,945,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskirwin View Post
"Herbal cleanses"? Living a healthy lifestyle is commendable. Eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, even some yoga and meditation to keep down stress. All these things are good..
To keep fat off your midsection, yes.

To remove toxins from your Lungs, liver, and blood, you need to consume an insane, impractical amount of vegetables for their cleansing properties. Who does this in Delaware?

Cleanses (I've done plenty of reading on this,) are really the best thing to help the toxins from building up to critical levels where they would alter your cell's DNA/Mitochondria, and allow mutations. Antioxidants protect the cells against oxidation, which beats the cells up, weakens them, and makes them more susceptible to mutations.

I have had 4 personal friends all get diagnosed with Cancer as young people (Leukemia, Non Hodgk Lymph x2, Colon,) and none of these people ate an significant amounts of veggies to clean themselves out. Add that, plus a predisposition to mutation, and you have cancer. The scary thing was that the kid with Leukemia actually died with NO Leukemia in his blood, but rather the Chemo killed him. It's best not to rely 100% on orthodox medicine, but rather prevention before-hand.

Scary stuff.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM

my brother died two years ago over in germany, only 39 and, as joe said, he did not die from cancer, his organs just didn't work anymore (melanoma).
back then I did some research and I was so surprised that the success rate of chemo therapy did not increase a lot over the last 30 (!!) years.
I am convinced, lots of people would live longer and BETTER with no chemo at all.
but if you are diagnosed with cancer - almost everybody would do what doctors tell him, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware