Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,112,759 times

Advertisements

Can someone please help me? We just moved to De. about 6 months ago and are doing our taxes now. My husband works in Md, so they take out money there for state income taxes obviously, but now it seems that De. is also going to charge him state income tax. Why is that? He does not work in De? I am just confused, because it seems like we are getting double taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

728 posts, read 1,779,208 times
I work in Philly and get money back but then turn around and pay it to Delaware at the end of the year.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

29 posts, read 106,904 times
You need to file a delaware return, but DE will give you credit for you tax liablity in MD. I file both every year and most years my MD taxes exceed my DE tax liablity so I do not have to send them any money.

Just be careful if you do wind up owing DE, they like to invoke a penalty.

Remember not to include all of your Federal Income as MD income for the time you did not work there.

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
Can someone please help me? We just moved to De. about 6 months ago and are doing our taxes now. My husband works in Md, so they take out money there for state income taxes obviously, but now it seems that De. is also going to charge him state income tax. Why is that? He does not work in De? I am just confused, because it seems like we are getting double taxed.
I don't know about Maryland but on your Delaware Form there should be a place to take credit for the money you paid Maryland

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

445 posts, read 1,433,235 times
You need to file BOTH Delaware and Maryland Income Tax Forms, but you are not being double taxed. Fill out the MD return 1st, then the DE. Everything will even itself out once you reach Delaware Form 200 line 10 for reporting MD withholdings/taxes.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM

604 posts, read 2,006,840 times
Sandee:

As somebody else posted, you will have to file MD (and possibly NJ) first and then DE tax returns but generally you will not have to PAY more tax in DE. Remember to include only that part of income (by proportioning or taking the income that your DH earned after becoming the resident of DE.

If I remember correctly, because you were renting for a while you may not get the full advantage of deductions on the schedule A this time around but next year your schedule A deductions will be advantageous when filing income tax return DE.

Feel free to DM me.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM

377 posts, read 1,112,759 times
Thank you for all of you feedback. I really appreciate it. I spoke with my accountant and she is looking at it. She explained it to us fully. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware