Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of baptist churches all over the entire northeast as well. Again I wouldn't say Anglo names are southern. They are also all over New England, and the Mid-west and plains. Italians and Jews are in the minority. You won't see them too much outside the Mid-Atlantic, northeast, FL, CA, etc.

Also, as I'm typing I'm watching a TV ad for Holyghost Headquarters that's having a celebrity preacher meeting on 858 N. Broad St. In Philadelphia.

Holyghost Headquarters doesn't sound too Jewish. Sounds like a superchurch

Lower DE is definitely different, but it's slower, not southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
That's a great post, jm02! Only one minor correction, if I may........
We swim in "wooder" and we also listen to the "redio" while we eat an "Arenge". I've become very self conscious when speaking in a group these days. I try to say "wahter" but it just doesn't come out right.

One more comment - When I was growing up, New Castle County was thought of as another state, and we referred to the people up there as "the rich northernors". To take a trip up there was a major event. My mom used to stand along Rt. 13 south of Smyrna with us, waving her arms to flag a bus down.The bus would always come to a screeching halt, and we had to run to catch up to it. Then, we were on our way to shop in Wilmington. Market Street, then, was the only place to shop for school clothes in Delaware. And, that was a once/year trip. Back then, Rt. 13 was a two-way road, no dual lanes. Quite an exciting day!
wooder - of course

That's so funny (bolded). We used to go to Baltimore to visit family and we'd plan like we were going cross-country. When I lived in Houston, friends actually took me out to dinner to a restaurant over two hours away and folks would drive three hours to Austin and think little of it (gosh, I could now be in the Hudson Valley in less time!). On the other hand, when I lived in Wilmington, Newark (12 miles away), seemed like another land. The funny thing is, now that I'm back, I'm reverting to my old east coast mindset around distance.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The funny thing is, now that I'm back, I'm reverting to my old east coast mindset around distance.
That's not a bad thing
I'll say it again........I LOVE IT when "our" people come back!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Historically and geographically lower DE is very much continuous with the upper reaches of the agrarian and historically slave-labour based Southern economy and way of life.
I would have to agree with this as a general statement, even if obviously you can find exceptions to the rule.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
One more comment - When I was growing up, New Castle County was thought of as another state, and we referred to the people up there as "the rich northernors". To take a trip up there was a major event. My mom used to stand along Rt. 13 south of Smyrna with us, waving her arms to flag a bus down.The bus would always come to a screeching halt, and we had to run to catch up to it. Then, we were on our way to shop in Wilmington. Market Street, then, was the only place to shop for school clothes in Delaware. And, that was a once/year trip. Back then, Rt. 13 was a two-way road, no dual lanes. Quite an exciting day!
Rt 1 kinda changed this, even if its still the same.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
30 miles? More like 30 yards (even so, with all due respect 30 miles is not that far considering the difference in South vs East coast)

Salisbury & Elkton are without a doubt "southern culture" imo, 9 out of 10 Americans would say the same.

Urban Dictionary: Rising Sun Warning: Read at your own risk

^Now, As for Good Ole "Rising Sun" well lets just check the (urban dictionary)

An interracial couple that I know very well just left there because of those reasons because of their kids. I grew up in Kennett and spent plenty of time in Oxford,Oxford was rough back then and they wouldn't mess with Rising Sun. I can't say for sure how much that stuff still goes on as I just know one couple but who would of thought.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
An interracial couple that I know very well just left there because of those reasons because of their kids. I grew up in Kennett and spent plenty of time in Oxford,Oxford was rough back then and they wouldn't mess with Rising Sun. I can't say for sure how much that stuff still goes on as I just know one couple but who would of thought.
I could never imagine Oxford being rough... things must have changed for the better.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Yea, kids from Newark would go to Rising Sun partys and get shotguns in the face back in the day...true story

Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I could never imagine Oxford being rough... things must have changed for the better.

Back in the '80s to early '90 it was, but I hear much like Kennett, alot of changes were made. Kennett and Oxford have had huge population shifts demographically in that time as well.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I've never lived anywhere, including Texas, where I have routinely got into conversations with other patrons sitting at the bar, whether at a restaurant-bar or a tavern, nor have I met so many people this way as here in Delaware. There are a lot of people my partner and I know here simply because they took the initiative to strike up a conversation when we were sitting at the bar in a restaurant or in one of the local taverns (our habit is to eat at the bar - we seldom go in for a drink only). Other places in my experience - Texas, Colorado, New York, England - people may exchange brief pleasantries, but you don't typically actually get to know people socially this way (I'm not talking of "singles bars" and the like, of course).

You know you are in Delaware when you encounter the cult of the black license tag and the low tag number.
I know this is an old thread, but my husband and I are moving to DE in a few weeks, and he is obsessed with getting a black license plate. How does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware