Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM

36 posts, read 97,395 times

Advertisements

Hello all me and the wife are leaving Philly and moving to De. We have narrowed our builder down to Handler Homes. We need some imput. We are torn between Townsend (Townsend Village) and in Smyrna (WillowWood). What are your opinons. It seems like they are 20mins apart and in smyrna the taxes and price of the same house is cheaper. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Anyone?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM

377 posts, read 1,114,705 times
One of the builders in my neighborhood is Handler, we almost went with them. We chose to go with Anderson instead though. Handler seems to be selling houses and I have heard good things about them. For many reasons we chose Anderson though.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Do you live in Smyrna?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM

377 posts, read 1,114,705 times
No we actually live right above the canal in a new development. Handler is one of the builders and is the developer. They build a lot of houses around here.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,806 times
I LIVE IN A HANDLER HOME, CHOOSE ANOTHER BUILDER. SMYRNA IS 20min LONGER AND ALOT CHEAPER BUT THAT 20min MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. IF YOU WORK IN PHILA TRY TO STAY IN NORTHERN DELAWARE. WITH THE GAS PRICES AND WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR CAR BY DRIVING UP AND DOWN 95 & RT1. YOU MAY PAY LESS FOR THE HOUSE BUT YOU WILL END UP PAYING MORE MONTHLY. TRUST ME I KNOW

Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,592 times
Range10:

Thanks for your post

As a realtor, I tried to convey to all buyers (working in Philly) who wanted to buy homes in Middletown and south over last ten years by telling them more explicitly (showing numbers, talking about after tax money they would be spending on auto expense, insurance etc.) even if the price of the house was lower - which is what you wrote in your post but alas .... it was on deaf ears..... and many of them who did not act on my urging ended up getting caught in the squeeze and the calamity that followed.

I hope your post has a better effect!!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 13,330 times
How is Handler Homes? Is the work they do good? I'm thinking of building with them in Townsend.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 18,058 times
Default Townsend vs. Smyrna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZ3861 View Post
Hello all me and the wife are leaving Philly and moving to De. We have narrowed our builder down to Handler Homes. We need some imput. We are torn between Townsend (Townsend Village) and in Smyrna (WillowWood). What are your opinons. It seems like they are 20mins apart and in smyrna the taxes and price of the same house is cheaper. Thanks.
I lived in the MOT (Middletown/Odessa/Townsend) area for many years and have watched those areas grow as well as Smyrna. The biggest issues here would probably be taxes and proximity to services and entertainment. The MOT area has just about everything there is to offer in the shopping/restaurant field (except maybe a mall) and the 20 extra minutes it takes to get to Smyrna really is a big deal. I hate it when billboards and other real estate ads say Smyrna is "just minutes to Wilmington". Actually, it's about 60 minutes to Wilmington on a gridlocked Rte.1/I-95 during rush hour.

Not sure about Handler Homes. If I were buying a new home I'd see if I could find one built by Lennar. They're slogan is "Everything's included" and it is. Their base-price house look like the upgrades you usually see in model homes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-28-2011 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: removed self-advertising

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM

23 posts, read 118,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by range10 View Post
I LIVE IN A HANDLER HOME, CHOOSE ANOTHER BUILDER. SMYRNA IS 20min LONGER AND ALOT CHEAPER BUT THAT 20min MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. IF YOU WORK IN PHILA TRY TO STAY IN NORTHERN DELAWARE. WITH THE GAS PRICES AND WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR CAR BY DRIVING UP AND DOWN 95 & RT1. YOU MAY PAY LESS FOR THE HOUSE BUT YOU WILL END UP PAYING MORE MONTHLY. TRUST ME I KNOW
Why do you say go with another builder? What specifically was wrong with Handler?

Thanks.

And Razz, as far as Townsend Village and Smyrna, I agree with the consensus. Smyrna is just not as nice as the MOT area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware