U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

377 posts, read 994,309 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what some of the opinions are on this. How will this affect the public and private schools? Do we see our taxes rising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,153,935 times
I think its great, as long as the money is used in the right places. Delaware, especially northern DE is not known for its great schools We lost alot of people to Middletown DE and Garnet Valley in PA just because of the schools. I'm hoping a study will be done to see if Wilmington can support its own School district.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Does it mean that the Middletown schools won't get something though? I guess I am a little confused by it. Is it only for the districts that are having problems?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM

From reading the story on Delaware online, all schools should benefit.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,077,226 times
I live out of state. What exactly is this and what are the repurcusions?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM

The U.S. Department of Education has picked Delaware and Tennessee for the first round of its “Race to the Top” competition.

Delaware will receive $100 million over four years.

The money will be spent on four main areas: to strengthen standards and assessment, support quality educators, develop data systems to better measure student performance, and to turn around failing schools.

The money will pay for data coaches to meet with small groups of teachers several times a month to review student data and help teachers develop lessons to address student needs. It also will fund teacher leaders at high-need schools, development coaches to work with school principals, fellowships for highly effective educators, and retention bonuses for highly effective teachers in high-needs schools.

"What's really important today is where we go from here; whether we have the will to put our children first and move forward with reforms to improve our schools so that Delaware children can successfully compete for the best jobs in an increasingly competitive global economy,” Gov. Jack Markell said in a press release.

The states will receive part of a $4.35 billion pot meant to encourage the use of innovative programs to improve student performance and transform struggling schools, according to information posted on Twitter by the U.S. Department of Education's press secretary.
Earlier this month, officials announced Delaware is among 16 finalists -- out of 41 applicants -- for the money. Since then, officials from Delaware, 14 other states and the District of Columbia have traveled to Washington to present their proposals to review panels that scored the grant applications. Delaware requested $107 million.

Applicants were evaluated on six factors: high-quality assessments and rigorous international standards; data systems to track student achievement; educator evaluation systems; improvement of lowest-performing schools; support of charter schools; and progress closing the achievement gap.

Courtesy of Delaware online

Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM

I am from NJ where everything is so corrupt. I just hope that the money doesn't go to officials and that it isn't something where we as the taxpayers are paying for this and it might not even go to my kid's school. For instance in NJ we paid a lot of money in taxes and it went to Abbott districts who had the best of everything. It does not sound like that is what is happening here though.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,077,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
I am from NJ where everything is so corrupt. I just hope that the money doesn't go to officials and that it isn't something where we as the taxpayers are paying for this and it might not even go to my kid's school. For instance in NJ we paid a lot of money in taxes and it went to Abbott districts who had the best of everything. It does not sound like that is what is happening here though.
I am also from NJ. This money is from US dept of Education however. Meaning it is federal tax dollars and has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Delaware or local taxes. And if Federal taxes rise, they are raising for the entire country.

This is a good thing for the state of Delaware.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,332,237 times
I think it's great and I'm very happy the teacher union(s) here didn't oppose it. I'm all for organised labour and collective bargaining, but there is a point at which unions can become excessively self-serving and overly powerful. I think that's especially tricky with unions which represent public servants such as fire fighters, police and public school teachers. Anyway, so much the better for us and so much the loss for those jurisdictions whose selfish teachers' unions defeated the chance to get this funding.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM

604 posts, read 1,780,784 times
In part because of its small size yet progressive -as against parochial (like Rhgode Island)- governing ways, Delaware makes an ideal state to start any pilot program or study. (Even manufacturers of new products use Delaware as a test market before going nationwide).

Delaware is a microcosm of the nation - in that there are 'Blue' areas and 'Red' areas in somewhat of a national proportions - at present. CHANGE is somewhat resisted or accepted with trepidation in southern areas and welcomed & embraced in northern areas where 65-70% of the populatuion resides.

Sandee should rest easy as to 'losing' the money to people other than students. The state is small enough for Delaware residents to monitor what is happening. News Journal papers and parents like her with their active participation can ensure that by keeping their vigil.

GRfan: We need to re-evaluate or refocus our attention on school matters such as summer vacations (too long -- resulting in loss of continuity - month of Sept. is spent refreshing what was forgotten in previous three months, every year), while rest of the world - with shorter vacations -is gaining on us 10-weeks a year in added education benefits. What additional taxes we are prepared to pay is a matter of priorities!! ---- and taxes may go up for people who are making quarter of a mill every year - who are not exactly scraping the bottom of barrel to make a comfortable living. In NJ it is the tax reduction instituted by Gov. Whitman that ended up jacking everybody's property taxes - Her slogan bought by NJ residents of earlier generation -"I will lower your taxes (state)" is what caused the property taxes to skyrocket .. yet NJ residents don't learn from history.

Last edited by armx; 03-30-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or