U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 26,795 times

Advertisements

We are seeking to relo between nyc and washington, dc as we have kids in each area. Delaware seems to be nearly mid way and offers tremendous tax relief. We stumbled upon a Toll Bros development in Bear, Delaware that looks attractive however, what amenities are within 5 miles of Bear? I know Philly is less than 60 minutes away however for someone who is fairly active (eg gym, golf, gardening, church) what is available in that specific area? We'll do an extensive search in a couple of weeks but I wanted to put this out to try to get an insider's view......thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 AM

29 posts, read 88,151 times
Bear is a "large area" and there is not a downtown like Newark or Middletown.

Most everything you need will be up on Route 40, and you are not far from Christiana Mall, which is doing a large remodeling and bringing in some new big name stores.

I live not far from Bear, and one of the things I like about the area is the number of golf courses that are close bye. There are several public courses in New Castle County covering all ranges (White Clay, Rock Manor, Deerfield PiKe Creek, Frog Hollow, Back Creek Odessa National). OVer the line in Maryland (west on Rt 40) there are several in Cecil county. PA and NJ have several nice courses within easy reach.

Good luck

Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM

322 posts, read 1,108,875 times
That Toll Brothers Development might be somewhere you check out a little more closely...I wasn't impressed with the quality of the high end prices they were asking and there might be a lot of folks in there with mortgage issues due to the high housing cost and people being told that they could afford those houses on $50-60k a year

Plus, it is close to the now closed (but re-opening soon) oil refinery and it borders Del Rt 1 (a limited access toll highway made of cement (not asphalt) making it a noisier road surface).

Bear is the epitomy of urban sprawl and the main area (Rt 40) is busy all day long and into the twilight hours. Where you are looking is almost Delaware City though so keep that in consideration when looking at it on the maps. It is on Rt 72 and Rt 1 and pretty far removed from the main area of Bear up around Rt 1 and Rt 40.

Within 5 miles, yeah, maybe you could get to Fox Run (strip mall) on Rt 72 and Rt 40 or Governer's Square (strip mall) on Rt 40 @ Rt 7 but major shopping will take you a little beyond the 5 mile barrier to the Christiana Mall.

The YMCA on Rt 40 just West of Rt 72 is a nice gym/swimming facility but the golf in the area isn't great and there really aren't a whole lot of courses in the area...Middletown (Frog Hollow), Elkton (Patriot Glenn) and Delaware Park are the 3 closest courses I can think of to the area.

Church is one thing you should be able to find a lot of...I'm not a church go'er myself but there are plenty of churches around (but if you are catholic, it might be a little further of a drive for you)

Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,300,467 times
For my money, Bear is a charm-free zone. There are better places in Delaware if you are having to commute between here, DC and NYC. Even Newark would be preferable IMO.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:59 AM

445 posts, read 1,286,340 times
In many respects the Toll Bros development is a great location; just expand your circle to 10 miles. Within 10 minutes is everyday shopping (ie: Grocery, home improvement, etc) on Route 40 and 15 minutes to a regional mall (Macy's, Nordstroms in 2011, etc). The University of Delaware (college sports, arts and some really good dining) are within 15 minutes. Route 72 makes the drive to Newark easy.

That area is also semi-wooded, a bit more charming than doctorjef suggests and near a very nice state park in Lums Pond. Know that Delaware changes quickly as you move south from I-95; 15 minutes south of the Toll Bros development DE becomes a lot more rural and a lot more southern. South of the Canal ("the ditch") is the beginning of Waffle House, BBQ and NASCAR country.

Good luck in your search. If you visit and have a sense of dining adventure there is a cute little Cajun restaurant run by transplants from Louisiana that is very close to Toll Bros development in St Georges. Restaurant,cajun,deli,grocery store,bakery; Delaware. Rt 40 will have every chain known to this area, but that place is unique if you like that sort of thing.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM

45 posts, read 96,480 times
I love this area and development. It is a cool two lane road; it reminds me of the two lane road in Outer Banks going towards Corolla, with a bike path on one side of the street, pretty woods all around, beautiful homes, wildlife. There are a couple hundred acres that will remain wooded in this neighborhood. There is a clubhouse, pool and tennis courts. It is super close to Lums Pond State Park, which is the largest pond in the state. It is only a little over 30 miles to Dover, which itself has a mall, shopping, the capital, neat historical architecture, etc., and only about 30 minutes to Wilmington downtown as well. You will be approximately 75 miles from the beach. You are about 8 miles from the largest mall in Delaware, which has many good stores, The Cheesecake Factory, along with Costco, etc. outside the mall. To me, this is the best location in Delaware. You are close to the beach, close to Dover, close to Philly (approximately an hour drive), close to north Wilmington (probably 30-35 minutes' drive), close to the large hospital in Newark, close to Maryland, etc. etc. Plus you have the nice feel of being "at home," not in a city atmosphere in that development, unlike so many of the neighborhoods closer to town. To me it is the BEST of all worlds. I don't see how someone could ask for more.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:51 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,421,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
For my money, Bear is a charm-free zone. There are better places in Delaware if you are having to commute between here, DC and NYC. Even Newark would be preferable IMO.
I second the charm-free zone. that was our first impression, when we were looking for houses. I always like, when there is a center, better even a market square, since this is the town-feeling, a town should have.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM

45 posts, read 96,480 times
I don't get it? The neighborhood that the Red Lion Chase Toll Brothers neighborhood is in is beautiful and charming, with beautiful woods and landscaping. It is not on 40, it is on McCoy Road, which I think is extremely charming? I think the development is a beautiful neighborhood and area.

Last edited by DE2009; 04-20-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,216,321 times
DE2009, you do not really live in Bear; it's just a Bear post office and zip. You actually live in Kirkwood and our little post office is in Ocean Mart Deli, where the mail is only posted. While I would have preferred to live in a Victorian/historic home and non-development, I am happy living in Kirkwood. I really like being close to major roads but not having them right next to me. There is really no traffic except on occasion, and it is very quiet. When I moved there, no other developments were in the area so I have seen an increase in traffic. However, I like living near Lums Pond and the dog beach, Glasgow Park, and the Y. Shopping is easy to get to by back roads. In all, not too bad.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM

377 posts, read 992,173 times
We looked at Red Lion Chase when we first moved here, because we wanted new construction. We quickly took it off of our list, because of the school district though. We found new construction in Appo School district above canal and are very happy. Toll Brothers is supposed to be a fantastic builder though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or