U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 PM

7,326 posts, read 10,756,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Yes, I've seen the geese out in some of the corn fields up here, systematically "weeding" the fields -- looks very tedious! At least with the corn fields they're presumably just destroying what's left of the plant roots after the crop has already been harvested in the autumn. I can imagine what a problem they must be for farmers with winter-seeded crops. However, they are marvelous to see and hear in flight if one has no economic investment to protect from their depredations.
So true, doctorjef. Geese are very persistent, but love the corn fields, too, after the harvest. Those fields are laden with kernels of corn and broken cobs of corn that the combines miss, or spit out. So, they are not all that interested in the plant roots. Yes, they are very beautiful.

But, Kevin, the OP - back to Newark, DE. Here's a link for the City, and on the left side, you'll see Parks and Recreation. The City is most known for being a College Town, although there's much more. Maybe this link will get you started:
Newark, DE - Official Website - City Departments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,138,496 times
I need to find the hunting forum with pictures of Bombay Hook in October with the Snow Goose migration its amazing. Although all year Bombay Hook has alot of other wildlife as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,419,716 times
I like bombay hook ... but we live in middletown and it's a 15/20 minutes drive from here.
from newark (depending on where in newark you live ....) it's about one hour of driving and nothing you would do for a quick afternoon outdoor treat.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
There are great pictures of Delaware linked on the State of Delaware website. I'm writing this without having checked the website, but you could easily get it by googling something like State of Delaware. On the homepage there is a link for the Delware pages on flickr -- there are hundreds of photos, including many of Bombay Hook and many other natural areas throughout DE, esp. in New Castle and Kent counties.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
My partner and I went over to Newark yesterday for a change of pace. We parked on Main Street, walked around and visited some of the taverns, and walked around the campus of UD. I hadn't been over there in a long time and before we had only driven around. Anyway we really enjoyed it. It definitely felt like college town USA -- I found it similar to "the Drag" along the west side of the University of Texas at Austin campus and to the University of Colorado in Boulder, but obviously with a unique Delaware flavour. Being on foot this time I was particularly impressed by the beauty and size of the campus, with its consistent colonial revival buildings. Anyway, I just wanted to put in a good word for Newark in this respect. We'll definitely be going over more frequently now. Of course, if one doesn't care for the college town vibe, this might not be an attractive aspect of the place at all. However, Newark is large enough and spread out enough that you really don't have to go near the university if you don't want to.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,995,562 times
How are there no towns attached to each other in DE? Are southern DE transplants trying to blanket statement the whole state again? :/

My fav outdoor things in DE are Brandywine Park in Wilmington, Valley Garden Park in Centreville, and Brandywine Creek State Park. There are also plenty of beaches like Slaughter beach with Horseshoe crabs, and plenty of sea life.

For kids, the ashland nature center is pretty cool. They get to learn about parameciums, and bacteria in the water, the age of trees, photosynthesis, and other natural workings.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 AM

728 posts, read 1,596,740 times
I second the White Clay Creek area for recreation, I spend ALOT of time there. Easily accessable from Newark. Being a transplant myself from Utah and a previous post about comparing recreation opportunities out West I find the geography here keeps me plenty busy, mostly photography, hiking and fishing

The area of Newark itself; I have no complaints.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:40 AM

728 posts, read 1,596,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
There are great pictures of Delaware linked on the State of Delaware website.
Look for mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or