U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,760,690 times

Advertisements

Lewes would be a great choice.It is the first Town in the First State . In Lewes and the nearby Rt 1 corridor there are many great dining choices and tax free shopping outlets. An interesting side trip would be to tour the microbrewery in Milton. www.dogfish.com and yes they give free samples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,288,748 times
The News Journal ran a story the other day about a couple who have a house in Odessa at the corner of Main Street and US 13 with an amazing collection of over 1,500 azalea bushes that are expected to be in peak bloom this week. Here is a link: Odessa collection irresistible for azalea lovers | delawareonline.com | The News Journal

Might be an especially good time to get over to Odessa.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM

I second the recommendation regarding the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton, which is itself a very interesting old town that will likely be seeing a lot of restoration over the coming years. Not to quibble, but Dogfish has too great a production to be considered a micro-brewer; they would be classed as a "craft brewer" instead, I think. Dogfish make the best beers around IMO, and there are especially low production varieties that you can only get at the brewery or at the Dogfish Head restaurant in Rehoboth.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM

388 posts, read 849,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
you can only get at the brewery or at the Dogfish Head restaurant in Rehoboth.
What happened to the large restaurant complex that Dogfish was building in Milton across from the brewery? Is it completed? When we were there last Sept, we were told it would be opened by New Year's Eve, yet I never see it listed in any restaurant listing, either in print or online. Anyone know??

Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM

I haven't been to Milton since last summer, so don't know, but couldn't find anything about this on the Dogfish Head website. Truthfully, I wouldn't think a Dogfish restaurant in Milton would be a very good idea. I would question whether there's the market to support it; maybe if enough locals were to frequent it -- Milton's too far afield and relatively invisible for the vacationing crowds visiting the Sussex County beaches. Only people who are specifically interested in the brewery or in exploring Delaware (like me) are apt to make a side-trip there. The town really could use more aggressive marketing! It's got a lot of potential.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM

7,316 posts, read 10,745,223 times
No, LEPlant, the complex is not complete.

About "locals" in Milton Milton has become a transplant town, for the most part. Cannery Village (Google it) backs up to Dogfish, is a large, upscale subdivision, and most of those people came from D.C. VA NY NJ MD and elsewhere. They'd sure enjoy the complex and could provide lots of business, in addition to those living in other nice subdivisions surrounding the town.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM

By "locals" I meant just that -- people who live locally, in the immediately surrounding area. I don't care where they might have moved from. The issue is whether you have enough of a local base of support for such a business to turn a profit. If there is indeed such a population base around Milton, great. I must admit that I didn't take note of new subdivisions when I've visited Milton. I was interested in the old town, not in new property developments.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM

7,316 posts, read 10,745,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
By "locals" I meant just that -- people who live locally, in the immediately surrounding area. I don't care where they might have moved from. The issue is whether you have enough of a local base of support for such a business to turn a profit. If there is indeed such a population base around Milton, great. I must admit that I didn't take note of new subdivisions when I've visited Milton. I was interested in the old town, not in new property developments.
I see.
Cannery Village is located within the jurisdiction of Milton, on the west side of the town.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 AM

271 posts, read 901,619 times
We took our visiting daughter to Milton in March, and spent some time at the brewery, where we asked about the restaurant. We were told that it would be just a small area where visitors could buy sandwiches.

I think the large "restaurant"--not certain that's what it will be--may be associated with the Cannery subdivision that rdrl mentions.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,306,822 times
I'm heading to Lewes tomorrow morning, I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware