U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 PM

22 posts, read 49,586 times

Advertisements

Any stand out characteristics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
I find the true natives to be like rather generic upper Southerners/Midwesterners, or perhaps rather typical small town Americans. Transplants here are largely identifiable by their Yankeee accents that aren't native to DE, but I can't say much about how they differ as a whole from the natives. Northern Delawareans are no doubt more urbanised - a bit - than persons from Kent and Sussex. In the present generation I don't think there is really all that much difference. Hopefully, however, you will still find younger people in Kent and Sussex involved in an agricultural life that no longer really exists in New Castle.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 AM

728 posts, read 1,596,595 times
Crowded!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 AM

The people are crowded? Well, maybe the roadways at certain times, but believe me: it's nothing like Austin, TX where I used to live in the States, much less London, England from whence I moved to northern Delaware. Nor can you compare it to NYC. I think the "crowding" in northern New Castle County is sometimes exaggerated by posters on this forum. But yes, two thirds of DE's population is up here and most of Kent and Sussex have much lower population densities. Here's a difference in demographics: in northern DE you will see plenty of Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Episcopal churches. In Sussex you see Church of Christ, various types of Baptist, and relatively more Methodist churches -- that's culturally way more Southern than the predominant denominations in New Castle County (though in terms of numbers I think I recall reading that Methodists are the largest protestant group in New Castle County, there seem to be a larger number of Presbyterian congregations that one can readily observe in and around the Wilmington area). Oh yeah, also there are a number of Quaker meeting houses in northern DE, whereas I haven't seen any in lower DE (not to say that there aren't any, but that's also historically relevant because the Wilmington area was a centre of Underground RR activity thanks largely to the Quaker influence and by the eve of the Civil War there were no longer any enslaved persons in New Castle County, in contrast to the two other counties).

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM

381 posts, read 1,228,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The people are crowded? Well, maybe the roadways at certain times, but believe me: it's nothing like Austin, TX where I used to live in the States, much less London, England from whence I moved to northern Delaware. Nor can you compare it to NYC. I think the "crowding" in northern New Castle County is sometimes exaggerated by posters on this forum.
I completely agree.

We moved to Middletown from Northern Virginia. My husband was warned by coworkers that his commute would be brutal. It's not. As he put it, if you can still go fast enough to get a speeding ticket, traffic is not bad.

I live 16 miles from Costco now. I used to live 4 miles from Costco. It takes just as long for me to get to the one here in DE as it took me to get to the one in Fredericksburg, despite the drive being 4x as long, mileage-wise.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Well yes it's all relative, coming from Salt Lake City and growing up in that area- that was my original impression. It took awhile to get used to.

"The people" are great! My new neighbors are the best.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Here would be another impression of northern DE: many, many people with Italian surnames, although very little Italian heritage actually survives around here. Next probably come people of Irish descent. Some Polish origins also noticeable in the Wilmington area.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM

604 posts, read 1,775,499 times
Open ended -unrefernced -queries like this evoke random answers based on the posters' perspective. It might help the OP get a better feel if the posters identify their reference point such as Raven's Utah against camrynh's Fredricksburg.

Drjef has already covered religious distribution pretty well and in my opinion, people w/Italian names seem to be quite prominent in this area between Philadelphia and Wilmington.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM

That stood out here for me, the way people so proudly indentify their heritage. I found it very refreshing to see this. You didn't see alot of that back where I'm from. You were either a "Member" or "Non-Member". LOL

I apologize for not having my coffee IV hooked up yet before I read it. Nothern Delaware's residents "feel to me" like a melting pot between Baltimore - Rural Delaware/Maryland - and Philadelphia. It has a little flavor of each and people from litterally EVERYWHERE. It's hard to put an overall feel or label on New Castle County residents as a whole for me. Many live there for the overall cost of living and Commute to Philly, APG or Baltimore most notable. Just my opinion, you'll get probably some more specifics from people that have lived here much longer than I. Sorry for de-railing the subject.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM

347 posts, read 734,636 times
Doctorjef...enjoyed your comments. I am a transplant and have noticed the long ooooos in speech here...guess I have the Yankee accent. I have encountered a mixed bag of people. I would agree more of an urban vibe north with areas south being laid back, slower paced but in a pleasant manner. It was also mentioned about shopping seeming so far (distance) at first but I too have discovered that the actual travel time isn't so bad because traffic isn't a problem. Plus, using Route 1 has been quick and easy to get to places. Hope that doesn't change in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or