U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM

693 posts, read 2,613,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles12 View Post
Iridiculous!
Then we moved "below the canal" where both of my children (now teens) have excelled. They are both getting really good grades and are enthusiastic about what they learn. The atmosphere is completely different here. The classrooms have less students (even with the housing boom), the teachers are very helpful and very involved in students' activities. The support for after school sports and other activities is almost unheard of.

My son has block classes which allows him more time to learn in class, less distractions of switching classes, more time with his teacher and less homework. This allows him to play sports and stay involved. My daughter went from a C student to an A and is currently pursuing an art college. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point.
Hi Noodles,
Nice to hear such positive reports . Just thought I'd ask. What school district are you in now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 PM

12 posts, read 39,509 times
I'm new to the forum, and graduated HS in DE abt 10 yrs ago. I can't say much for S DE, but in NCC, AI Dupont HS is considered good. But to be honest, most people in N DE with the means fork out for Private or Catholic school. I'm a Spartan Alum, and must say St. Mark's gave me the edge to grad college in 3 yrs and is a good value as far as catholic school goes. I've lived a fair amount of places, and N DE has more private schools in a small area as I've ever seen. St. Marks (of course), Tatnall, Archmere, Wilm Friends, Sallies, Ursuline, Padua, St. E's, Sanford, St. Andrews (boarding) and don't forget Tower Hill! Did I miss any? And those are just the high schools that co-exist w/ the public high schools.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,801 times
between FrmAllOvaNy and colby1911, what the heck is anyone supposed to think? so contradictory!

Old 05-23-2010, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 15,050 times
My husband and I spent 15 months in Delaware. I had been a school teacher in one of the top school districts in the entire country in Virginia. When we arrived in Delaware and I looked into teaching, I could not do it. At an interview, I explained to a high school principal that I could not teach the novel they had assigned for 9th graders that I had been teaching in a sixth grade classroom in Virginia! The principal explained that their reading list was on par with the reading level of the students. I was more than shocked! The educational system in Delaware is incredibily poor. I am a firm believer in public education and there was no way I could have allowed for my child to attend a public school in Delaware. I did tutoring while in Delaware and found the students curriculum in Appoquinimink to be the most rigid. However, it was no where near what I was teaching in Virginia. An example - I taught a year of 1st grade ESL in Virginia. I was working with a 3rd grade student in May who was doing the exact worksheet I had used in October with 1st grade English Language Learners!! It blew my mind. My advice - do not move to Delaware, especially if you are looking for a good education.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,299,272 times
flying duck has flown onto this forum and made it her mission to post a string of negatives about Delaware. You can look up her other posts. Given the unmitigatedly negative tone of all three posts to date, I wouldn't take her observations very seriously.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM

445 posts, read 1,286,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck99 View Post
My husband and I spent 15 months in Delaware. I had been a school teacher in one of the top school districts in the entire country in Virginia. When we arrived in Delaware and I looked into teaching, I could not do it. At an interview, I explained to a high school principal that I could not teach the novel they had assigned for 9th graders that I had been teaching in a sixth grade classroom in Virginia! The principal explained that their reading list was on par with the reading level of the students. I was more than shocked! The educational system in Delaware is incredibily poor. I am a firm believer in public education and there was no way I could have allowed for my child to attend a public school in Delaware. I did tutoring while in Delaware and found the students curriculum in Appoquinimink to be the most rigid. However, it was no where near what I was teaching in Virginia. An example - I taught a year of 1st grade ESL in Virginia. I was working with a 3rd grade student in May who was doing the exact worksheet I had used in October with 1st grade English Language Learners!! It blew my mind. My advice - do not move to Delaware, especially if you are looking for a good education.
WOW. I, I, I, I a whopping 15 times in one paragraph. My first thought is we not import the Virginia Composition Curriculum.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM

377 posts, read 992,085 times
I still talk to my friends from NJ a lot and they have kids the same age as mine. It is funny, because they are learning the same stuff as mine in De. What they are doing in math so are we.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,420,822 times
yesterday I talked to a new neighbor. she told me, that back in VA her son (6th grader) only had A's and here he came down to C's, even to a D. and, no, you can't only blame transition for that.
the education level here is not as poor as some people think or say (we live in the appo district too).

the only think we lack IMHO is a good gifted children program. there seems to be lots of support for students with any kind of disability, but then there is no energy/time/money left for the kids, who need to get more input and lack challenge. that was different/better in brandywine/north wilmington.
A friend of mine taught gifted children in Maryland for 30 years and that's what she is noticing too - and tries to change within her little bubble

Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM

381 posts, read 1,229,477 times
We moved here from Virginia in March. My son was able to integrate into his classwork seamlessly, as his Appo school was working on exactly what he was in Virginia. The curriculum used is probably a bit different (his reading class used Saxon readers in VA, it's something else in Appo. Can't remember the name).

Old 05-24-2010, 02:03 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,140,185 times
A month or so ago when the DSTP test results came out, only 40% or less of De students could pass the national test. I'm not sure what grades they were talking about. Also remember Delaware just got a 100 million dollars from the government and it wasn't because we have the top schools in the country. In northern DE we have people that have their kids in private schools and those that left to pay really high taxes in PA(Garnett Valley, and Avon Grove) or moved to Middletown. Brandywine school district just closed two schools because of declining enrollment.

All that said, I hope everyone that can vote for the Christina referendum votes yes. Its been seven years since the last one. Even though I'm not in the Christina School District, these referendums help alot more than just the Christina school districts students, and teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or