U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 AM

604 posts, read 1,172,008 times
Thanks for your input Jeannie - improves the perspective for all of us.

When my children were in GT they were taken from their homeroom one day a week and they were responsible for the homework on the subject matter they missed for that day in addition to the homework from the GT classes for the day.(homework itself was not the problem but having to do the homework on the "missed" classes was somewhat detrimental to the psyche) ....So the GT classes instead of being somewhat of a "soaring" experience just became more burdensome in the eyes of the GT students .....but the GT teacher said that it was her perception that is what most parents want - push the kids ! when you were a GT student was that the practice? or more apropos what is the practice now for the GT classes?

This thread is an old one with the OP perhaps not even around, but since it does cover the Delaware schools everything that happens there is fair game I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 35,180 times
when I was in gt it was about keeping us from being bored in the regular classes as opposed to pushing us. we did have some extra work but I don't recall having homework on missed classes. Our homework was on on material we had been taught. Gifted and talented now is still supposed to challenge children but without overwhelming them. The idea is to get all students to what is known as the zone of proximal development or the ideal learning environment where the child can do the majority of the work on their own with teacher guidance and without becoming frustrated. It shouldn't be about pushing kids. if they are frustrated they don't learn as much. an optimal learning environment is one where kids feel relaxed and can feel comfortable asking for help when needed. Many teachers make the mistake of thinking because a child is gifted they can handle more than they are really capable of. They will have gt students tutoring other students, doing extra work, and their regular work and the kids buckle under the pressure. You want them to live up to their potential but not burn out or have a mental breakdown. a lot of gt kids also have social and emotional difficulties. They don't relate well to their peers at times because it's difficult for them to have conversations with them when they aren't on the same level intellectually. They can also be very sensitive emotionally. And gt kids can have adhd, aspergers, etc. It can be very challenging for teachers to come up with lessons for gt kids especially at the middle and high school level when some of these kids are actually as knowledgeable if not more knowledgeable than the teachers. I was in an 8th grade math classroom once here in Delaware and I saw the gt group. these kids could fly through algebra and precalculus work like it was a piece of cake! the teacher had extra activities and games for them that were actually fun! As long as teachers avoid the same old routine of giving work sheet after work sheet or having students do page after page from books you can make it easier for the kids to learn. all kids learn differently so you have to use many different approaches. the districts do generally require certain things to be done each day from the textbooks but you can add to those things and make it better. it just takes a creative teacher who cares and support from the administration and parents.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 534 times
Hi

I am looking for a public or charter school for Prek 4

Any one can suggest any better schools , my work location will be Newark, Delware but I am ok to travel for 20 min

Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM

177 posts, read 150,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar1981 View Post
Hi

I am looking for a public or charter school for Prek 4

Any one can suggest any better schools , my work location will be Newark, Delware but I am ok to travel for 20 min
Newark Methodist Preschool has a fantastic Pre-K program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware