Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 70,148 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am ready to move out of NJ due to high everything!!!!!!!!
I am going to visit Delaware within the next few weeks.I would like to know if anyone has information on the overall school system in Kent County I have 2 school age boys. Although I am fed up with NJ my kids education and safety are key.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Smyrna's school district has an excellent reputation.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 70,148 times
Thank You for your reply.SXMGirl I will add it to my list.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I am a public school teacher in Delaware, who has also taught in South Jersey. If your children want to learn and you are an involved parent, your children will be just fine anywhere. When I first started teaching in Delaware, I did have concerns, but from what I see every day, there is certainly nothing to worry about.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,327 times
Default I am moving to delaware

I have 2 girls 19/14 and a son 3
I like to shop and eat/I am also concerned about crime rate
I am moving from springfield gardens queens I have live here all my life over 30 years and like quiet and land. What area's would you suggests? I am looking at new castle and smyrna

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 18,049 times
Smile Kent County Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving nj View Post
I am going to visit Delaware within the next few weeks.I would like to know if anyone has information on the overall school system in Kent County I have 2 school age boys. Although I am fed up with NJ my kids education and safety are key.

I live in New Castle County but my daughter goes to school in Kent county. Smyrna is good and Caesar Rodney districts. Would really check into Capital school district. I've haven't heard much good about that one.1

Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving nj View Post

I grew up in many parts of Delaware: Wilmington, Newark, Rehoboth Beach, Millsboro.

I go back every year to visit. The people in Delaware are the friendliest anywhere -- good old fashion morales. I don't know about the local schools anymore - but am sure that the up and coming areas surrounding Rehoboth Beach would be just fine. Safety will not be an issue at all. Delaware is probably abou 20 years behind the times...which is not always such a bad thing....and have to slow down your life style, or it will force you to slow down. Very laid back, casual communities.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,112 times
i am currently in the capital school district as a student and its not as bad as the media makes it sound. overall the curriculum is the best.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 64,588 times
The best school district in the New Caslte County Area is Newark you dont want your Kids to go to Glasgow or Christiana. Brandywine school district is suppose to be the best in Northern Delaware but The best schools are in Middletown and Smyrna but in my opinion i dont advise anyone to move to Delaware the education and Healthcare is the ABSOLUTE worst and Delaware is at the bottom when it comes to education. And i dont advise anyone to move to the Branywine DE and around Naamans Rd because all the HOODS from philadelphia are moving to that area.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:43 PM

68 posts, read 272,352 times
Hello, I just wanted to add my two cents. I have lived in new jersey my entire life, but I did teach in de for 14 years. I went away to college at UD, did my student teaching in the colonial school district and was hired before I even graduated. (I commuted to de from southern nj every day.)

I don't know what the community thinks of the colonial school district, but I can say that I worked with some of the most dedicated and hard working teachers. The students are very diverse, and to me that was a great thing. The state and district funding was excellent and what ever supplies we needed were given to us. We were encouraged and required to attend workshops so our teaching was always up to date. The principals I worked with (about 6 in all, including asst. principals) had wonderful communication with parents and wanted nothing more than to make them happy.

Now I was not always thrilled with the level of parental involvement, that is to be expected in many districts, though.

Two years ago, my oldest daughter entered the public school system in a middle upper class town in south jersey. I have never been more disappointed in my life. The teaching doesn't even come close to that in colonial. It's absolutely shocking, but I won't go into it. My point is, the public educational system in de is high quality and the standards that are taught are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware