Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 70,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,I have been looking on the net for information on the crime in Delaware. So far I am looking to move my family in Kent County. What towns should I stay any from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM

249 posts, read 492,010 times
Stay away from Wilmington and most of its surroundings (New Castle, Newport).. Wilmington's as bad or worse than Philly per capita. I'd say Pike Creek, Hockessin, Newark would be better choices, or North Wilmington (but that requires a bit more research and legwork to figure out good 'hood from bad)..

Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM

158 posts, read 814,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz
Stay away from Wilmington and most of its surroundings (New Castle, Newport).. Wilmington's as bad or worse than Philly per capita. I'd say Pike Creek, Hockessin, Newark would be better choices, or North Wilmington (but that requires a bit more research and legwork to figure out good 'hood from bad)..
There are nice areas with a Wilmington address. Check out the northeastern areas of Wilmington. Just stay out of Wilmington City. It's nasty there...

Old 08-04-2006, 12:25 PM

249 posts, read 492,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
There are nice areas with a Wilmington address. Check out the northeastern areas of Wilmington. Just stay out of Wilmington City. It's nasty there...
This is true, and even Trolley Sq. area isn't too bad, but you definitely have to pound the pavement and do your own observation, don't take any RE drone's word for anything..

Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 PM

158 posts, read 814,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz
This is true, and even Trolley Sq. area isn't too bad, but you definitely have to pound the pavement and do your own observation, don't take any RE drone's word for anything..
Exactly.

It's kind of funny. There is a drastic change that occurs right around the Checker's on Philadelphia Pike. It goes from a really nice area to a very, very urban area within like a half of a mile.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Kent County doesn't appear to have as much crime as New Castle County. Of course, that could change with all of the new developments that are currently being built. You might want to look at areas in Kent such as Hartly, Camden, Wyoming, Kenton, Cheswald--towns west of Route 13 and 1. These are small, country-like towns, where homes are fairly affordable. Not much night life but could be a good quality of living for you and your family.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 70,131 times
Thank You all for the replys.I am looking in Kent county.It appears to me alot of towns have high rapes??? It shows on (Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed) that Dover has 16 rapes Milford has 5 ,Harrington has 5 rapes.These number seem high to me for towns with populations under 100,000

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 AM

23 posts, read 124,447 times
I would love a Delaware native to talk about the high crime rates. I have also been checking out Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, and comparing where I live in NJ (racially mixed, many immigrants) which I believe is similar to areas such as Milford. But the crime rate in Milford is much higher than here in NJ. In fact, many areas in Delaware are higher than the national average. Any thoughts on why? The only thing I can think of is that there is some general resentment of the new developments going up in these areas.... Crimes against the owners of these "fancy" homes by people living in the mobile homes located down the street. What do you think?

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:30 AM..

Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Many people move from Philly and South Jersey to Delaware because of the large homes and lower taxes. Also, there is no sales tax. When you have such an influx of people, some of them will be criminals. I don't believe that people who live in movile homes are committing crimes against those who live in "fancy" homes. In a transient society, criminals move around just like the regular working person. Crime is up in most places, but Delaware has large amounts of people moving in. At one time, over 5,000 new homes were built every year, and I think that number actually increased for a time. It might be slacking off, but not by the looks of the number of ads for new homes in the News Journal Saturday edition. Just like any where else, if you are moving to a new area, get to know it well before making the move.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 29,510 times
I use to live in Delaware most of my life. I currently live in north carolina. Delaware is really a nice place to live. The area near General Motors is pretty good. Woodcrest and Hockession are nice areas. Stanton is a nice area too.
I lived in those areas. I have family in Delaware still. I work in the Cirminal Justice field here I see a lot of crime. But crime is everywhere mainly in the large cities. I live here in the country and enjoy it very much. Also there is no taxes in Delaware. I miss that!! I work in a city of one million people talk about crime terrible. The more people the more crime you have to deal with.

Lizabeth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware