U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 AM

124 posts, read 237,138 times

Advertisements

Hey Jude - I may have "overstated" McKee's home seller program. Now that I think about what was told to me I am not sure it's a "guaranteed sale" plan like some builders have. I know that you use their preferred Realtor but I don't know what the perk would be then to you the McKee home buyer. Hopefully you'll get lots of helpful info. at Saturday's session. Looking forward to hearing about it from you. We have several friends who are now anxious to come check out CC in the coming months. We can't seem to contain our excitement and apparently it's contagious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM

388 posts, read 850,787 times
Hey Jude, I, too, would be anxious to hear of your luncheon and what you will learn about their buyer program. It does sound intriguing but my natural hesitancy and suspicion makes me think these programs do provide a quick sell of your home but probably not at the best price. Seems there would have to be a trade-off for the quick sell, no? Timetables are always a bear to imagine when you need the proceeds of the home to buy your future one, as is the case with us. One has the tendancy to think one's home is just marvelous and will sell quickly and then of course that notion fades as the months wear one (perhaps I am watching too many HGTV shows! ). Anyway, please let us know what you doscover at this luncheon if you do decide to go.

Happy Presidents' Day to all. I am now off to the kitchen to make a cherry pie in honor of ol' George........

Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM

96 posts, read 168,870 times
I, too, enjoy the HGTV shows and agree. We've all made our homes 'ours' and have come to love them so, of course, we expect everyone else will love them as well -- until we try to sell them and find out that's not necessarily the case. Oh well...

It does make sense that there's a trade-off with the Smart Buyers deal. I just want to see what it is. I've been hoping for a FSBO of my current home but, in this market, that could take forever so it behooves me to check out this program. Either way, what I get out will determine where I find myself next. As I said, I'm going to try to make it to this program. It's on Sat., Feb. 27th and, if I can be there, I'll let y'all know what I learn.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Hey Jude, We were really able to tell a lot about our new Austin yesterday. The insulation is in and they will be starting dry wall soon so check with Ed for a time for you to walk through. Even more helpful was Jeff's (the construction super.) suggestion that we drive up to McKee's 55+ community in Middletown as there is a completed Austin there (with settlement within a couple of weeks; maybe sooner it looked like). So we hightailed it up there and while the cleaning crew was working we were able to look all around. Fortunately the house is even sited the same as ours (with the garage on the left). These buyers had chosen almost everything standard and only made one floor plan change (they turned the rear porch into a sunroom). The kitchen and front bedroom are smaller than I expected but the living space and master bedroom are great! We are so happy with the floor plan changes and improvements we've made in our Austin and are looking forward to seeing our completion progress move forward. It was a very exciting day!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM

35 posts, read 92,557 times
Default Selling Your Home Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude, na na na na View Post
I, too, enjoy the HGTV shows and agree. We've all made our homes 'ours' and have come to love them so, of course, we expect everyone else will love them as well -- until we try to sell them and find out that's not necessarily the case. Oh well...

It does make sense that there's a trade-off with the Smart Buyers deal. I just want to see what it is. I've been hoping for a FSBO of my current home but, in this market, that could take forever so it behooves me to check out this program. Either way, what I get out will determine where I find myself next. As I said, I'm going to try to make it to this program. It's on Sat., Feb. 27th and, if I can be there, I'll let y'all know what I learn.
Can't remember all the details of the Smart Buyer program, but the way it was explained to us at CC a couple of years ago it's a program to help you sell, but there is no guarantee.

Now, having gotten a contract on my current house after less than three months on market (three terrible months for showings because of the weather), I'm glad we used a Realtor. I don't look forward to paying the 6% commission at closing, but all, and I do mean ALL, showings were as a result of online listings. Our Realtor put the house up on about eight sites and some other sites linked from the MLS, so we were on about a dozen sites all together. Not all sites resulted in showings, but we know for a fact that regular advertising did not result in anything as my Realtor tracked how each person who visited the house found it. We had a torrential downpour on one open house and got snowed out with blizzards on the other two scheduled open houses. Had I tried doing a FSBO, I probably would not have been able to use all the sites the Realtor used.

I got a full-price contract with no request for closing help (buyer is eligible for a disabled vets program which will pay the closing costs) and the only contingency was a building inspection. The 6% hurts (sorry, CWTR, I know you depend on those fees), but I am convinced we would not have gotten this contract if we had tried to sell on our own.

We closed on the new house last Monday and we close on the current house about March 29th if everything stays on track. Then, it's a hotel for three months while my wife works out her teaching contract. But, we will have the equity from the current house, not have to worry about selling it, and will have lots of weekends to get the new house squared away.

One good suggestion you've all seen on the HGTV shows: declutter! We rented a 5X10 climate controlled storeroom for $80 a month and put some stuff in it. Everyone who came through the house said it looked much larger than the stated 1675 square feet. Getting stuff out really helped.

Frank

Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Congrats SerenityWriter! What an encouraging post for those of us with homes to sell. You are right about homes sales being based on internet exposure! My first impulse was to FSBO my own house but it didn't take long before I realized that I, too, need the exposure of the MLS and other websites to generate buyer interest. How lucky for you to get a disabled vet as a purchaser (I've heard of that special program but have never personally had a sale through it). So while you had to pay the real estate commission you saved on having to pay closing help. And thanks for your testimonial of the value in de-cluttering before coming on the market. Sounds like that $80 you spent on the storage unit saved you lots of $$$$ in sales price. Good luck with your settlement and I've got my fingers crossed that we'll be as lucky in our home sale as you. Pat youself on the back (hard!) you obviously had your home in excellent selling condition for it to sell so quickly and at your asking price. It's really not luck ..... it's preparation and presentation!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Thanks so much for your report, Serenity Writer, and congratulations on your successful sale.. especially in view of the terrible weather conditions! Fact is, I've been a chicken about putting the house on the market over this winter. All predictions had been for a lot of precip. and I simply didn't want to have to worry about the driveway, walkway and steps being pristine for visitors -- all the time. You offered some very good advice that I'll definitely take under consideration. (I particularly like the storage unit idea.)

I've just today received the invitation to the seminar on the 27th and the SB program advertizes "No Fee No Risk No Kidding" and a program "designed to help you sell your old home fast, and for the right price". It should be interesting, indeed. (Sure hope the weather lets me make it there.) As for the seminar's lessons, if I may hazard a guess, the first thing they'll advise us to do is DE-CLUTTER!

Ohmigosh, Cant Wait, I'm so excited for you! What a great trip that turned out to be, plus you got the big bonus of seeing a finished Austin. Everyone keeps reporting how easy it is to work with Jeff and I'm glad to hear that your experience reinforces that. You spoke of your impression of the room sizes. When you think about it, the rooms that you found a bit smaller than you'd expected are the one you'll use the least (2nd BR) and the one you'll want to be the easiest to clean (kitchen)! The rooms where you'll do most of your living are, if I may quote you, "great". (Yea!) It sounds just wonderful and I am very much looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

Last edited by Hey Jude, na na na na; 02-18-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Hey Jude, just got updated pics of our house from Debbie @ Champion's Club (she' amazing; working on CC stuff on a Saturday night!). It appears to now be completely drywalled; on Wednesday there was none! So it'll be all ready for you to walk through next weekend.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Yes, cant wait, Debbie told me she was going to be sending you updated pics today! I called this morning to RSVP my attendance on Saturday for the seminar. Funny... she answered and, when I introduced myself, she said, "Oh, hi, Judy! You're name JUST crossed my lips!" "Beg pardon?" "I just said your name no more than 10 seconds before the phone rang!" (They were doing some prelim. seminar planning.) I was surprised that she remembered me since we met only once and barely spent a half hour together. She did though, and she recounted everything we did and talked about. Wow! That serves as another testament to the people at McKee. They consistently go the extra mile. Another case in point is Jeff, about whom we've all heard so many good things.

I was excited to hear from her about the progress on your home and -- if I may borrow from you -- I can't wait to see it! Will just have to remember that y'all have added some space that I won't be adding and try to picture it that way. That reminds me: since you're putting in a basement, are you having a sump pump put in down there? If I build there (or anywhere), I'll want a crawl space, but now and then, I read pros and cons about having flood insurance in DE and how many people have sump pumps. I'm wondering what your take on that is. You too, NapaJoe, Charley, Serenty Writer and anyone I have omitted (with apologies). As I said earlier, i did a lot of scanning when I was trying to catch-up so am sorry if this was covered ad nauseum earlier.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Hey Jude, yes our sump pump is already in. I believe that was standard w/a basement but can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware