U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM

558 posts, read 522,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Sounds like a plan to me! (by then we should have a pretty good idea of where we'll ultimately 'hang our hats')
We could even designate a specific restaurant as the "Forum Hangout". Meet for breakfast regularly...maybe at IHOP or Friendly's or the like...say once a month? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM

471 posts, read 432,908 times
All,
It has taken me two weeks to catch up at work and at home - sometimes I wonder if it pays to take a week's vacation.....wishing I was still in Lewes and did not have to come back. I need to start planning my next trip to Delaware!

Now that I know I want to be within 5 miles of downtown Lewes when I retire, I am finding places other than The Vineyards at Nassau Valley as possibilities. There is a 55+ "Bay Crossings" community just outside of Lewes, but, it is a little out of my price range. Next to it is the "Villas at Bay Crossing" condos much more in my price range. From what I can tell they share the same Community center and pool. The Villas is complete, but, resales are available.

Other condos in the area (all resales) are also in my price range. They include 5 Points, Summerlyn and Plantations. Price ranges start at around $165,000 to around $225,000 for a two bedroom two bath unit. Can't tell from the real estate listings the size of the units, but, the listings do give you an idea of condo/HOA fees.

If anyone knows anything about these four condo communities any and all feedback will be appreciated. I do plan to contact a real estate agent on my next trip to take a good look at the resales in these condo coommunities.

The great thing is that all 4 condo communities do have a few "rentals" available by the week because they are within 4 miles of the beach. It might make sense to rent one of these condos for my next visit to Lewes to get a real sense of what it would be like to live there full time.

I think most 55+ would prefer to "buy new" rather than a home that is 5 to 10 years old. I bought my first home "new" but, I also lived through 6 years of construction - so there are pros and cons to do either. I do think it is worth investigating buying a resale condo and not limit myself to new construction - although I do really like VNV. Opinions?

Mary2014

Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 PM

375 posts, read 510,673 times
Mary 2014 - we stayed at a condo in the Summerlyn complex last fall during our 55+ community research and by coincidence, the unit was available for sale. We were very pleased with the complex for our needs - 3 BR, 2 bath, sunroom, full kitchen and laundry, etc. Place seemed very quiet and we were wondering if it was mainly seasonal but it was Sept and we did see a school bus daily picking up and dropping off kids. There was a man-made canal behind the complex with fountains here and there, nice view from the sunroom. We rented through Vacation Rental By Owner (vrbo.com) and were happy with our choice. Summerlyn is right on the main drag but set back enough so it was very quiet. Just a few miles to the outlets and restaurants and beaches. Hope this helps!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,193,343 times
Something like that sounds great. I'm wondering though if each 55+ community has something like that already in place - I think some have monthly luncheons for ladies and monthly breakfasts for men etc (am assuming the locations rotate to different restaurants which might not be a bad idea, that way you get to know the area a little and the restaurants) - one doesnt need a clubhouse for that - we'd certainly be open to the idea of IHOP or Friendly's etc once a month, I like the name 'Forum Hangout'

Just got back from driving from upstate NY - sheets/torrents of pouring rain against the windshield, we could barely see, no exaggeration! - I really felt bad for the motorcyclists who were waiting it out under the bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
We could even designate a specific restaurant as the "Forum Hangout". Meet for breakfast regularly...maybe at IHOP or Friendly's or the like...say once a month? Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:01 PM

15,584 posts, read 7,716,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Something like that sounds great. I'm wondering though if each 55+ community has something like that already in place - I think some have monthly luncheons for ladies and monthly breakfasts for men etc (am assuming the locations rotate to different restaurants which might not be a bad idea, that way you get to know the area a little and the restaurants) - one doesnt need a clubhouse for that - we'd certainly be open to the idea of IHOP or Friendly's etc once a month, I like the name 'Forum Hangout'

Just got back from driving from upstate NY - sheets/torrents of pouring rain against the windshield, we could barely see, no exaggeration! - I really felt bad for the motorcyclists who were waiting it out under the bridges
Honeycrisp.

I started a ladies lunch in our community about 2 years ago and It's still going stong. We have a nice group of gals that look forward to this every month.

One of the men in our community started a mens lunch then got a job so my DH took over. He really enjoys it and so do some of the guys.
So we do that here.

Really good to do something outside the community as well as within. We go to shows at the Schwartz theater, take day trips together. Just a group of us friends say hey...how about going to Annapolis today or Rehehobeh or whatever.

In the past 3 years I have enjoyed activities within our community and outside as well.
Got to Modern Maturity for line dancing and DH and I do ballroom dancing.
They have great dinner dances there too.

I would suggest some who are moving into a community, if you don't already have the lunches..start one.
Really easy and hassle free.

I put a sign up sheet at the clubhouse for an accurate head count.
Plus all important info as to where and when we are going.
Then the day before our lunch which is always the last Tues. of the month, I collect the sign up sheet and all for reservations.
Separate checks is a must oo.
I also have a raffle. We collect a dollar at the lunch for the next months raffle which could be a gift card or a neat gify.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Elizamary,

That's exactly what we want, LOL! Am sooo ready for all those activities - I like the idea of very local activities and also those w/in the community, why not. After our trip today w/ the windshield wipers going a mile a minute against the pouring rain and barely being able to see and my heart pounding (oh my!), local (or fairly local) is sounding better and better (although I'd miss certain people). Pre-arranging the lunches etc sounds good and the raffle sounds clever too, a fun bonus.

Just have to tie up a few loose ends here and make some big decisions <gulp>, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thx for all the ideas - HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Honeycrisp.

I started a ladies lunch in our community about 2 years ago and It's still going stong. We have a nice group of gals that look forward to this every month.

One of the men in our community started a mens lunch then got a job so my DH took over. He really enjoys it and so do some of the guys.
So we do that here.

Really good to do something outside the community as well as within. We go to shows at the Schwartz theater, take day trips together. Just a group of us friends say hey...how about going to Annapolis today or Rehehobeh or whatever.

In the past 3 years I have enjoyed activities within our community and outside as well.
Got to Modern Maturity for line dancing and DH and I do ballroom dancing.
They have great dinner dances there too.

I would suggest some who are moving into a community, if you don't already have the lunches..start one.
Really easy and hassle free.

I put a sign up sheet at the clubhouse for an accurate head count.
Plus all important info as to where and when we are going.
Then the day before our lunch which is always the last Tues. of the month, I collect the sign up sheet and all for reservations.
Separate checks is a must oo.
I also have a raffle. We collect a dollar at the lunch for the next months raffle which could be a gift card or a neat gify.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM

15,584 posts, read 7,716,967 times
I know you have loose ends to tie and decsions to be made...I do with you the best through this process and hope everything goes smoothly for you.....I really do.
Actually......I know it will

Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks, I think it'll go smoothly too, right now it's just kind of a waiting game. Soon hopefully though. Til then we're enjoying hearing everyone else's stories and adventures.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,804 times
No matter which location anyone chooses, I wish them the same happiness and ease of lifestyle that we have found at Champions Club. It's a whole modified way of life, and things are so easy. If you are planning a visit to Champions Club in Magnolia, DE, feel free to give us a call. I'll be out of internet commission for the next 3 weeks, but call if you have questions -- 302-697-3931.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM

471 posts, read 432,908 times
All,

I just wanted to note that Charlie's topic "55+ communities" will mark it's third anniversary on Friday June 11th. It is the most viewed and responded to thread on the Delaware city-data board! More important, when read from beginning to end you can really see the "search" for the perfect retirement home in Delaware evolve over time. A big thank you to each person who has been willing to share their search experiences.

I would not be surprised if this one thread is the most active and viewed of all the threads in all the states on the entire city data web site! Way to go Charlie!!! (It also says something about Delaware and it being a magnet for the 55+ crowd.)

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware