U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM

144 posts, read 239,606 times

Advertisements

Elizamary, I hope the SM owners read the thread and give you a GC ASAP!!! I don't know if 35mph would be enough on RT 1, they sure go fast on it. I read about the electric car, very cute. The backroads are very nice to view, farms, horses, goats, little horses, and Amish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 PM

I wish everyone a nice weekend, and a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,610 times
Default Hearthstone Manor

Hi everyone,
I have lived in Delaware most of my life with brief stints in DC and Vietnam. My wife and I have been preparing for retirement for about 3 years. There are so many choices in Delaware that you can get lost looking. After much debate, the usual mobile vs manufactured vs condo vs 55+ and not, we made the purchase. We have bought a condo in the Hearthstone Manor community just south of Milford. It has condos, villas and housing in the same community setting. There are home owner fees depending on which type and size portion you own, all manageable. It is not a "55+" community though you would think so from a drive through. There is waving from community members as well as good feedback. Denise was very helpful in our final decision making process. The builder is Country Life Homes. It is very close to Delaware Route 1, about 20 minutes from Lewes.
I will offer feedback on the experience after we make the actual move in July. I have enjoyed the reading here and the the camaraderie of this forum.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,414,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbolt View Post
Hi everyone,
I have lived in Delaware most of my life with brief stints in DC and Vietnam. My wife and I have been preparing for retirement for about 3 years. There are so many choices in Delaware that you can get lost looking. After much debate, the usual mobile vs manufactured vs condo vs 55+ and not, we made the purchase. We have bought a condo in the Hearthstone Manor community just south of Milford. It has condos, villas and housing in the same community setting. There are home owner fees depending on which type and size portion you own, all manageable. It is not a "55+" community though you would think so from a drive through. There is waving from community members as well as good feedback. Denise was very helpful in our final decision making process. The builder is Country Life Homes. It is very close to Delaware Route 1, about 20 minutes from Lewes.
I will offer feedback on the experience after we make the actual move in July. I have enjoyed the reading here and the the camaraderie of this forum.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the choice of your new home. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:11 AM

15,577 posts, read 7,714,762 times
Hi Chase and welcome. Also, thanks for posting your experience.

Best of luck to you

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Hi Chasbolt,
Welcome to the forum! We have visited Hearthstone Manor community in the past, and it is a lovely well kept community. Everyone is friendly and Milford is nice. Congratulations on the purchase of your new condo. I viewed the condo models and self standing homes a couple of years ago...and we loved them...

Please keep us posted on your experiences in your new community!

Again, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE DAD'S OUT THERE!!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM

466 posts, read 431,495 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
We have bought a condo in the Hearthstone Manor community just south of Milford.

It is not a "55+" community though you would think so from a drive through.

It is very close to Delaware Route 1, about 20 minutes from Lewes.
Chasbolt, So glad you have joined this forum. I too think that for me a condo (not in a 55+ community) may be the way to go. I am concentrating my search in the Lewes DE area. I took a look at the Hearthstone Manor web site and the homes look fantastic! Some of the 2 Bedroom, 2 bath units w/garage are very similar looking to the Plantations condo community in Lewes DE that has resale condos available.

When you have an opportunity I would love to know more about the community you selected. Are their condos wheelchair accessible? Milford looks close by. Are the condo's within walking distance of grocery stores etc. or do you still need a car to go shopping? One reason I am concentrating my search within 5 miles of downtown Lewes is because the area is very walkable, bike friendly and has bus transprotation. I am looking for a community where when the time comes and I no longer want to drive I will not need to rely on someone else to take me shopping.

It would be nice to buy a brand new condo, but, I am not ruling out a resale. While buying a resale might mean replacing some things a lot sooner, it also gives you an opportunity to see exactly how well the condo community is run when it comes to maintenance of the entire complex etc.

FYI DE passed a new law last year concerning condos that requires all condo communities to have sufficient reserves to cover repair or replacement of fixed assets. For many condo communities this may mean an increase in condo fees to meet the new state law.

Mary2014

Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Chasbolt, So glad you have joined this forum. I too think that for me a condo (not in a 55+ community) may be the way to go. I am concentrating my search in the Lewes DE area. I took a look at the Hearthstone Manor web site and the homes look fantastic! Some of the 2 Bedroom, 2 bath units w/garage are very similar looking to the Plantations condo community in Lewes DE that has resale condos available.

When you have an opportunity I would love to know more about the community you selected. Are their condos wheelchair accessible? Milford looks close by. Are the condo's within walking distance of grocery stores etc. or do you still need a car to go shopping? One reason I am concentrating my search within 5 miles of downtown Lewes is because the area is very walkable, bike friendly and has bus transprotation. I am looking for a community where when the time comes and I no longer want to drive I will not need to rely on someone else to take me shopping.

It would be nice to buy a brand new condo, but, I am not ruling out a resale. While buying a resale might mean replacing some things a lot sooner, it also gives you an opportunity to see exactly how well the condo community is run when it comes to maintenance of the entire complex etc.

FYI DE passed a new law last year concerning condos that requires all condo communities to have sufficient reserves to cover repair or replacement of fixed assets. For many condo communities this may mean an increase in condo fees to meet the new state law.

Mary2014
Hi Mary,
Hearthstone is about 3 miles there-a-bouts from downtown Milford though within the city limits. Walking wouldn't be a good choice and not enough extra space on the back roads for biking, not for me anyway. The Senior Center does offer bus service. I'm hoping the transportation will improve as I age.
To Lewes from Plantations, crossing Route 1 and riding a bike though an option can be difficult. If I was you and want to be close to downtown I'd go for a house off New Road or one of those developments, the back way into town from Route 1. You avoid the heavier traffic and have decent access to Lewes.

Last edited by chasbolt; 06-20-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM

466 posts, read 431,495 times
Chasbolt,
Yes, I agree, crossing route 1 to Lewes is a challange. Fortuneately, The Vineyards at Nassau Valley Condos are now being built west of route 1 near the Nassau Vally Vineyard and it will have all sorts of shopping and it is less than two miles from Plantations. ( I still consider VNV condos now being built to be an option in 3 1/2 years when I will be ready to retire). There would be no need to cross route 1 for shopping and easy enough to bike or walk to shops.

I would like to be able to bike to the beach/ocean and the Villas at Bay Crossing (east of route 1) or some of the first floor condos at 5 points might be an option. I don't want to have to do any outside yard work, so if it is not a 55+ community it will have to be a condo.

The hardest part of just viewing condos on line is that I can't tell which are wheelchair accessible and which are not. I do know 5 Points does not have elevators so only a ground floor condo would be in the running at 5 points. On my next visit to Lewes I plan to rent a condo in one of these communities for a week - I think I could get a better feel of the community that way. One big advantage in the Lewes area is that most of the condo communities have at least one or two condos available for short term rental and renting off season it is likely to be a lot cheaper.

Mary2014

Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM

137 posts, read 204,416 times
Default Manufactured home insurance and mortgages

I don't know if this has been covered before, and I'm too tired to do a search, so here's a bit of info FYI.

After signing on dotted line for a home in Southern Meadows, hubby started looking for insurance. Come to find out, these homes are treated differently than stick-built and insurance is higher. Our USAA insurance will cover us, but at about 4 times the rate that we have for this house.

Re mortgages (which we may or may not get-still haven't decided to pay cash from our savings and proceeds from sale of this house), they are also higher. The present nice 4-5% rates won't apply to these homes. What's available is running at 1 point over prime, which is 6-7%. It doesn't matter that we are old fuddy-duddies moving into a 55+ community with a sterling credit rating. It's the fact that it's a manufactured home and the past mortgage messes involved companies like Greentree who made bad loans to manuf. home buyers. It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

This is just a little eye opener for dh who didn't do his complete due diligence before we decided where we wanted to live.

Jonalyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware