U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM

560 posts, read 805,506 times

Advertisements

How's the weather in Delaware this week? It is incredibly hot and humid here in southeastern VA. How would we survive without our air conditioning? The folks "back in the day" must have been much hardier than we are today. Also, how are the beaches in DE? I've been to Lewes and along the ocean. Are there any beaches farther up north along the Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 9,543 times
The library has moved and I'm now back on-line. For those of you who don't know, when I retired, we got rid of all network/pc equipment. It's a dream -- been 6 years plus. Charley, I understand you're coming down Saturday to smart buyer's program -- hope to see you then as I'll be dropping by. I don't get to the library that often as retirement living keeps me going with days full of anything, everything and/or nothing to do. It's like living the dream. Anyway, if anyone has any specific questions, feel free. I can tell you we're now on budget billing for electric ($80 a month). Gas is $19 a month in the summer and around $40 in the winter. We have comcast with minimal coverage ($20 a month). Sewer is $70.55 a quarter. Water was $140 this month, but I've had the sprinklers going full blast when the sun hasn't been in the way. The pool is open and wonderful. You get 50% off your school tax at age 65 and another percentage off your state tax after you've lived in Delaware for 5 years. Car insurance is a little more, but the DMV is soooooooooo easy to deal with. They even have a drive-through window for renewals. The citizens of Delaware seem to keep a pretty tight rein on the politicians at the mere mention of raising taxes or trying to impose a tax on any commodity as we are truly tax-free Delaware.

Anyway, wherever you go and whatever you all do, we hope you are blessed as we have been and sincerely living your dream!

Gotta run!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM

560 posts, read 805,506 times
Did you all know about this program? Sounds like a nice deal for those who are thinking of buying in Delaware.

"Green for Green (G4G) is a program from the state of Delaware offering between $3,000- $6,000 to homeowners who purchase a “green certified” new construction home. G4G is administered by the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC), in partnership with the Home Builders Association of Delaware (HBA/DE) with stimulus funds administered by the Delaware Sustainable Energy Utility (SEU)."

Because Roesville is "green certified" new home buyers will qualify for this incentive. A check for $3,000 will be given to the buyer at closing. Looks like that new refrigerator, washer and gas dryer will be paid for...WOOHOO!!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,985,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariasb View Post
Charley, I understand you're coming down Saturday to smart buyer's program -- hope to see you then as I'll be dropping by.
I will definitely look forward to that!

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 06-22-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM

693 posts, read 2,615,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann726 View Post
Hello again everybody. Although I have followed this thread since it was only a few pages, I only joined in Dec. to post about the advantages of having a crawl space instead of a slab. That was Dec. 21. I had no idea it was so long ago - how time flies.

I originally found city-data because I was interested in looking at Delaware to retire, and Nobles Pond was the only one I knew (since they advertise in the Baltimore papers). Driving to see it, I passed Spring Meadows and so looked at it too. I thought surely there were more and then found this site. I copied names, addresses, etc of various sites, but never got around to checking out more.

However, you all are really great - particularly Charlie - in listing all the pluses and minuses of each. So, about a month ago I decided to go look at Champions Club since it seemed to have everything I wanted, and the people here only had good things to say about it. I went back the next week with a friend who also liked it, picked out a lot, and gave a deposit. The following week I took a couple more friends to see it, who also thought it would be great for me.

So, as of last Friday, I am the official, albeit contingent, buyer of lot 40 in Champions Club. I am very excited and hope to meet all of you soon. And I am immensely grateful for all the information everyone has shared - even if it did take me a long time to actually join so that I could post.

P.S. I definitely did get a crawl space.
Hello again Ann,

They've started excavation on another lot behind us in Champions Club. It is close to the clubhouse. Could this be yours? I heard the equipment early this morning and sure enough another one bites the dust. Literally

Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 12,033 times
Hopefully it's not mine yet, as I still have to sell my house. I think it might be lot 38 - the buyer had no contingency. Also, at the time I signed my contract, Ed said they had already pulled the permits for lot 38.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 8,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
How's the weather in Delaware this week? It is incredibly hot and humid here in southeastern VA. How would we survive without our air conditioning? The folks "back in the day" must have been much hardier than we are today. Also, how are the beaches in DE? I've been to Lewes and along the ocean. Are there any beaches farther up north along the Bay?
Beaches are fine in Cape Henlopen State Park, Lewes, Rehoboth, Dewey Beach and the Delaware Seashore Park. Further North, no. Weather here is quite like VA except in your mountains. I think its a matter of us being used to the comfort. We would grow accustomed to nasty weather if we had more of it, not that we would enjoy it.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

693 posts, read 2,615,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann726 View Post
Hopefully it's not mine yet, as I still have to sell my house. I think it might be lot 38 - the buyer had no contingency. Also, at the time I signed my contract, Ed said they had already pulled the permits for lot 38.
You are correct. Lot 38, just verified on my way back from the Post Office. Sorry, didn't mean to scare you!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM

53 posts, read 102,273 times
chasbolt
I was very interested in hearing about your condo at Hearthstone. I looked it up and am adding it to my list of communities to visit. I am not sure if anyone has ever mentioned Spring Meadow by Wilkinson Builders but I would be interested in hearing anything about it or the builders. My list seems to change weekly but it is still fun to explore all the diferent options open to us. Also fun just reading everyones comments and thoughts.
Kathy

Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM

124 posts, read 237,300 times
Looking forward to seeing Charley (and anyone else who will be attending) at the CC Smart Buyer's presentation tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware