U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 PM

42 posts, read 56,728 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mary would enjoy hearing from you again as you explore the area.

Sorry for the typo, I should type a little slower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM

7 posts, read 12,910 times
Roesville 200 X 110.00 = 22,000.00 month not a year

Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 12,910 times
Agreed.. also if you are going to provide financial advice please have all the facts and math correct

Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM

388 posts, read 849,581 times
Default migration map

Found this link in another state's thread on C-D and thought we-soon-to-be-Delawareans would find it interesting. If you zoom in to tiny DE, you can enlarge each county and see the activity. I hope to be a "black line" from Maine next year! Enjoy....

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM

15 posts, read 28,003 times
[quote=NapaJoe;14906266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoDE View Post
Napajoe,

Where did you buy? Because you mentioned stairs I am assuming you have a conditioned crawl space with a crock pit and sump pump. 8'' pour concrete walls? 3'' slab with crushed stone below? Interior/Exterior drain tile system? Is your grading per plan? If you have mold growing, there is something serious going on down there. Be sure to check your warranties and document everything. Mold is a major problem and will never go away unless it is properly treated.

NJtoDE, I bought a Broadmoor at Champions Club and paid extra for a 4' crawl. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. CC's standard spec's for a crawl are 3000 psi air entrained concrete, 8" wide by 48" high (extra foot option) poured concrete wall with 2" thick concrete floor slab over 6 mil vapor barrier. It does have a sump with an interior perimeter drain. There is no mention of crushed stone and I see no evidence of it from pictures taken during construction.

During one of my first inspections I discovered water in the crawl. After bringing it to their attention,they removed a lot of the foam boards from the walls and added urethane sealant where the wall meets the slab. They feel the water is from condensation and temporarily added a dehumidifier. They also mentioned someone neglected to install the vents so the crawl was not conditioned. This has been addressed, the mold was removed and so far has not returned and the crawl has been dry.

Keeping our fingers crossed. This Friday is our 30 day review. Thanks for your comments and your concern.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 AM

Hi Napajoe,

I am sure everything will work out and you made a good decison going with the 4' crawl, I am a big fan of them. Just make sure there is 4'' of crushed stone under the slab.(your slab should be at least 3") This is important. If water comes up from the bottom the stone filters it to your interior drain. If there is no stone, there is no where for the water to go.

Also, check to make sure there is an exterior drain tile system. If water comes from the outside it will filter to the interior drain and then to the sump. Be sure to check the grading - this is often an easy fix that is often missed.

One of my biggest concerns is that you paid extra for a crawl. The reason why I am concerned is that your neighbors may not have the same option and therefore it changes the grading for 3 homes to your right and left. Its complicated but, its all about moving of soil and what side your driveway is on. If your home is higher or lower than your neighbor that effects everyone. The engineers base their site and grading plan on if it is slab, crawl or basement. I cannot see how an accurate site and grading plan can be done if everyone has something different. Unless, the builder says, heck we need sales lets do whatever. This does happen.

Rule of thumb is that you do not mix crawls, slabs and basements. If you do, these kind of situations will arise. Take a look at your site and grading plan that you should have signed off on during the construction process. Be sure the grading is accurate.

Just an FYI, if they thought it was condensation they would not have removed the foam boards and sealed. They are trying to trap the moisture below the slab because it has no where to go. Its a temporary fix and it is probably dry because we have not had any rain.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 AM

Charley,

Your absolutely right and I apoligize to you and everyone on this board and I did not mean to offend anyone. Thank you for making me aware of my mishaps. I am not good at expressing my feelings by words and I did miscalculate the numbers.

However, I stand behind my general opinion of 110/month in fees. I was just caught off guard that someone would think that $110/mon would cover for what Roesville is claiming they are going to build. My comments were more sarcasim(sp) than anything else.

As far as my clubhouse prediction, I stand by it. However, the 3 yrs I might have been off. It might be 2 ( just kidding, don't yell at me ). Honestly, it is up to the bank. The only good thing J.S has going for them on that property is no other builders want it. I don't want to be blunt, but its the truth. J.S bought the land back in the good ol days and now land prices are finally starting to come down. Unfortantely, they are stuck with land that they overpaid for and now they over-priced themselves out of the market. This is why new communities going up right now are the best opportunities - they are getting the best land deals. Its not J.S. fault, they are stuck and it will be a tough road ahead if they can make it. If a builder says they own the land be very careful, that means they are not on a 'take down'. Like I mentioned before, this is how NVR(commonly known as Ryan Homes and NV Homes) went bankrupt in the 80's. NVR does nothing but take downs after their experience from bankruptcy. "Take Downs" mean you buy the land directly from the developer so you do not have infrastructure cost or interest carry.

Charley, thanks again for "smartin me up"

Old 07-10-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
Instead of being so negative, perhaps you could have injected a bit of wisdom. Since you have so much "experience in this industry" we on this forum might benefit more from constructive suggestions and information rather than inappropriate personal comments. If you would like to lay your "reputation on the line" you might want to choose a different approach.

It is my belief that most of the kind, intelligent posters on this forum are fully aware of the current economic situation in this country and many new home buyers already feel like they are gambling with their future security. I have found that this forum has helped me better understand that others (55 and better) are facing the same uncertainty and doubts as are my hubby and I. But ya know what? We're all making choices despite the risks! Yes, we have different priorities when it comes to choosing a home; and yes, we disagree; and yes, some of us might make a mistake or two. But in my opinion the purpose of this forum (and someone please chime in and correct me, if I'm wrong) is to offer support, ideas, general information, and to share experiences with others who share the same concerns.

Ok relax GO'2 - I am also 55+. Its obvious you bought at Roesville and congrats. I wish you the best of luck and again I apoligize for my prior comments.

However, if you don't like to hear that 110/mon is not going to pay for indoor/outdoor pool, 24,000 sq ft clubhouse and all kinds of other stuff than thats not my fault. I am giving information, valuable information, and your probably hoping I was on here sooner. Don't get all bent out shape - your happy thats all that matters. Who cares what I have to say.

FYI, if anyone thinks that your going into a new home purchase gambling, don't do it. You buy a home for a better quality of life.

One of my favorite quotes from one of my mentors:

"You don't get married because the wedding dress is on sale"

Same concept with a home

Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Found this link in another state's thread on C-D and thought we-soon-to-be-Delawareans would find it interesting. If you zoom in to tiny DE, you can enlarge each county and see the activity. I hope to be a "black line" from Maine next year! Enjoy....

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com
Wow - fascinating read! Although my wife and I are a few years away from retiring, we both think DE is the place we will end up. Been enjoying the posts on this thread, learning quite a bit from residents and wanna-bes alike. Thank you for all your input - very valuable. We, too, hope to be a black line from NY someday!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 PM

40 posts, read 71,920 times
[quote=NJtoDE;14975865]Hi Napajoe,

I am sure everything will work out and you made a good decison going with the 4' crawl, I am a big fan of them. Just make sure there is 4'' of crushed stone under the slab.(your slab should be at least 3") This is important. If water comes up from the bottom the stone filters it to your interior drain. If there is no stone, there is no where for the water to go.

NJtoDE,

As I said, I don't believe there is any stone under my slab and the specs call for a 2" slab. I have read about conditioned crawls being constructed in this manner. Also I don't understand what you mean by "check the grading-this is often an easy fix". The house is built. The lawn and sprinklers are in. The grading is finished.

I didn't say I paid extra for a crawl. My house comes with a standard 3' crawl. I paid extra for an another foot to give me a 4' crawl. This will not change the neighbors grading. They just dug down an extra foot. If I ordered the optional 9' basement the house would not be any higher. And all my neighbors have these options.

When they removed the foam boards from the walls they were looking for signs of a leak. Not finding any evidence of a leak they drilled and injected sealant at the joint. The crawl is now dry. Saturday we had quite a bit of rain and it was still dry when we left. (we've not moved in yet) They constantly re-assure me I will have a dry crawl space. And I will insist on a completely dry crawl without the need for a dehumidifier. Right now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware