U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,543,752 times

Advertisements

kc50down,

I did take a look at the Hearthstone Manor web site and their condos look very nice. I don't recall what the condo fees run. I asked someone else on this thread about walk ability to town and they gave me the impression that you really needed a car to get around to shopping. Add to that I fell in love with the Lewes area and if at all possible my goal is to live within 5 miles of downtown Lewes.

I will be visiting Lewes again in the spring with the plan to have a realtor show me several condo resales to narrow in on one or two existing condo communities. I am looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo (handicapped accessible) with a garage if possible. Based on MLS listings on the web, in the $200K - $220K range the units at Plantations look very nice.

If I am willing to look at condos with no garage, Villas at Bay Crossing in the $160K - $190K might also be in the running. There are several other condos in the $160K - $200K range in the area I really need to see in person to decide if they are of interest. Next year my trip to Lewes will be to rule out various condo communities.

I may try to rent a unit in Plantations next year for a week to get a real feel for this gated community. Most of the condo communities in the Lewes area each have a few condos that can be rented by the week to accommodate the beach crowd. Off season they are much cheaper to rent. I think that is a great bonus when looking in the Lewes area because you can get to live in the condo community for a week.

Since I have 3 1/2 years before I can retire I am looking to narrow down my search to one or two communities. That way if a really good opportunity comes along (i.e. short sale etc.) before I retire I may consider buying it using the equity in my present home and using it as a rental property until I can retire.

I am not ruling out other areas of DE, but, I felt like I was "home" the very first time I visited Lewes. Not sure any place else in DE will give me that same feeling. Now I just need to find a condo in the Lewes area that gives me that same feeling.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,545,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DE View Post
Susmusic, I recently received my brochure package from Southern Meadows in Magnolia Delaware and they list homes within that price range but a little larger than you're looking for. Following is their pricing information as I got it:

Model____Square Footage____Base Price

Nicoline______1329 sq. ft.________$129,900.00
-2 car Garage Standard

Wisteria______1396 sq. ft.________$130,900.00
-2 car Garage Standard

Hope this is helpful to you.
Hi susmusic.

I live in Southern Meadows and have a wisteria. Love this home.....Plenty of room yet we are not bumping into each other. An easy house to care for too.

Nobles wasn't built when we were looking and that is a tad more than we wanted to spend.
I feel for what we had to spend we got a bang for our buck. Love living here.
lot rent is another issue but it is a broad as it is long...IMHO.
some want to put the money in the bank rather then in a home. Personal perference without getting technical. I'm not technical. I leave that to the others. LOL

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM

197 posts, read 186,240 times
Hi,
Thank you for all your replies; and thanks Mary 2014 for the information; it is a big help. I was considering a place where you actually own the land instead of leasing it. I wonder if anything like this exists in Delaware at a reasonable price? Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,543,752 times
Susmusic,

If you are looking for a single home in a 55+ community the ones in the $150k range will most likely be land lease. I don't have objections to land leases as they do lower the initial purchase of a home. The initial cost to buy a home is important. I just think you also need to evaluate the total cost of owning a home over a 20 year period so that you can do a fair comparison to homes where you actually own the land.

If you are looking for a non 55+ community where you are responsible for yard maintenance and there are no club houses or swimming pools you may be able to find a single family home in the $150K price range where you actually own the land.

My backround is as an accountant and part of my everyday job involves financial analysis - so this is how I look at various communities. I have been to NP, SM and CC and there were things I liked about each community. I crossed these communities off my list (and single family homes in general) not because of initial price or monthly fees - but, because none were near enough to walk to shops, doctor's offices etc.. So my decision to pass on these communites had nothing to do with initial or long term costs, but, rather my personal preference to be able to find a community where I would not be isolated if I was no longer willing/able to drive. Two years ago I was looking for a single family home in a 55+ community. As I explored what was really important to me I realized that a condo in the right community was more likely to meet my "age in place" requirements and meet my financial requirements as well.

This is why anyone of these communites could be the best choice for one person and just not be the right choice for another. If a community does not have the "intangibles" you need to be content - it will not be the right choice at any price.

The journey to date has been for me at least identifying the "intangibles" I need to be content. Only then can I start looking at communities that also meet my financial parameters.

Mary2014

Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 AM

12 posts, read 20,210 times
Frank - Congrats, I saw your house settled! Sounds like you've already made lots of progress in the unpacking process. I hope you love your new home and that the time between now and the end of the school year goes by very quickly for you. Thanks for sharing all that valuable info. Did you tape the lids to your crates? I have lots of them too and some of the lids are a tighter fit than others. We hope to be settled in CC by early July so if you're coming down to DE please let me know and stop by.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,935 times
Hi all. It's been a few weeks since our first trip down the the beaches. I really loved most everything I saw.

I'm having a hard time convincing my wife, however, to give up her "addiction" to NYC. She loved what we saw on our short trip to DE, but she feels she would perceive it as being trapped and alone, because of the lack of public transportation and the distance involved. It's too bad DE doesn't have more trains, going further south than Newark. If she could drive to a close train station to take her trips to the Big Apple, she would be more willing to make a move.

I'm going to keep trying to get her to open up on the idea. I found some nice real estate around Smyrna, which WOULD shorten her trips back to NYC considerably. I'm trying to get her to see that life will be a whole lot more affordable and healthy down there, once I retire.

On that note ... from the 55+ communities I looked at, they all seem to be "treeless". Are there any fee-simple communities where they leave some of the trees around the homes?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM

388 posts, read 849,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
... from the 55+ communities I looked at, they all seem to be "treeless".
Our complaint also!!! Hubby and I also disliked the treeless terrains on the communities we visited this year and last. You must understand that most of these developments were formerly farm fields with few trees. Easier to develop! The communities do a great job, I think, of landscaping but my husband quips that the next generation of retirees will enjoy the trees they plant today - not us. We have purchased at Champions' Club in Magnolia and each home, upon completion, will have a young tree in front of the house, not a spindly little thing but a rather substantial trunk. Still would need a few years to fill out, however. Have you been to Roesville? They are much more rural, surrounded by fields and trees and may appeal to you. We did like it a lot. There are also some completed (closed) communities in northern DE that are very heavily landscaped because of the maturity of the community and you may find some resales there.

As to your wife's wanting to commute to NYC - you may want to check Amtrak's website. Dover does have a station, not sure if trains currently run through it but I do know buses run to the large Wilmington station. She could catch a bus in Dover to Wilmington and then take a train north.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM

693 posts, read 2,611,948 times
I'm having a hard time convincing my wife, however, to give up her "addiction" to NYC. She loved what we saw on our short trip to DE, but she feels she would perceive it as being trapped and alone, because of the lack of public transportation and the distance involved. It's too bad DE doesn't have more trains, going further south than Newark. If she could drive to a close train station to take her trips to the Big Apple, she would be more willing to make a move. [/i]

Something to consider. There is a shuttle that leaves from Dover to Wilmington where you catch the bus to NYC. Total cost for the round trip is $35. Not a bad deal at all. PM me if you would like the details.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,956,935 times
Thanks so much for this info, Little Eggplant and from PA. This is great stuff! I will be sure to look into the Roesville, and other northern communities, as well as the tranpo potentials!

Looks like I still have 3.5 years before I can retire, so I guess there's time to explore the alternatives, and try to convince my better half to accept a slightly different way of life.

Again, thanks so much for this information.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,759,076 times
PVS, as a (most likely) future De. resident, I completely understand the thought of whether you will acclimate to a much different lifestyle. I would try to take several week long vacations in the areas you are interested in. If you and/or your wife don't feel fairly comfortable after several weeks in De., you may have some decisions to make. When we do finally move, my wife and I plan to come back to NY 3-4 times a year. Hopefully that will lessen any homesickness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware