U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 AM

124 posts, read 237,074 times

Advertisements

I live in Magnolia and have NEVER heard a word about "gang activity!" I chose to move here from MD where we did have significant gang activity. I live next door to a retired police officer who was the chief hostage negotiator for a major NJ city and he's not aware of a problem here either and after careful research he and his wife chose Magnolia as their 2nd retirement location. I'm a widow and I feel TOTALLY safe everywhere I go in the Dover/Magnolia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,531 times
Default Hi and welcome

When you make your visit to DE, please give us a call and stop in at Champions Club. I don't do much corresponding because when I retired I got rid of ALL computer stuff. I only use the library computers once or twice a month.

Now for some info: taxes, taxes, taxes. Our tax bill for 2011 is $831. That includes 50% off school tax, trash pickup (every week), recycle pickup (biweekly). When we were in Maryland, we were paying $900 town tax alone and had to pay for trash.

I can't say enough good things about McKee. If there's a problem and they don't know how to fix it, they'll say let me check and get back to you. The superintendent of the job site doesn't look the other way and keep on going. He actually stops and asks if everything is okay. We had part of our roof replaced 3X (due to wind and the shingles hadn't had a chance to "adhere" in the summertime since we moved in in Dec.

Anyway, if you have specific questions, give us a call (302-697-3931) or email me (dariasb33@yahoo.com) -- I'll eventually get it with a trip to the library. We wish you well wherever you decide to make your new home.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM

22 posts, read 82,266 times
I am very excited about our trip to the area and hope that Earl will cooperates this weekend. I’ve been pretty busy and have not had the opportunity to get back to my post. Hope all is well. Let me clarify that my question regarding gang activity was simply based on a couple of news articles that were found after a Google query. I find that reading the local news generally will help one get a feel for the area, but I also realize that the media has a way of sensationalizing events and should be taken with a grain of salt. So, I decided to ask those who live in the surrounding area their thoughts on the matter. Thank you for your reassuring replies. Now, to the matter at hand  . All of you hold such a wealth of knowledge regarding these communities that I was wondering does anyone have any information or has visited The Woods at Longacre Village? The salesperson from K. Hovanian informed me that there are several builders in the development (Longacre Village). Layton Construction Inc., is also one of the builders and is forwarding information. I have searched the boards but came up empty on both The Woods and Layton Construction. I know that this is the community that the Kent County Library recently moved into and it is in Camden-Wyoming, DE. Can anyone share any info this area?
Dariasb, thank you, Champion’s Club is definitely on my list as well as Spring Meadows, Roesville and Longacre Village.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:13 PM

7,330 posts, read 10,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSureYet View Post
I have searched the boards but came up empty on both The Woods and Layton Construction. I know that this is the community that the Kent County Library recently moved into and it is in Camden-Wyoming, DE. Can anyone share any info this area?
Is this what you're looking for NSY? Or, maybe you have this link. Longacre Village is on the east side of Rt. 13 near Camden, but that side of the highway carries a Dover address and a 19901 Zip Code, not a 19934 Zip for Camden and Wyoming.

That's a very popular community because of the Library and the shopping center, which is filling up nicely. Also, they have some commercial development (restaurants) going up along the front of that subdivision along Rt. 13. We have friends who moved down from NY and love it there!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Mod edit - edited link (please use DM's to share Real estate links)

Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 AM

388 posts, read 850,274 times
Default update Smart Buyer program at Champions' Club

Well, we are coming up on 3 months next week with no nibbles on the house. Received a phone call last night from Barbara, the director of the program. We chatted a bit and she informed me that she will submit a request for an extension on our participation in the program now that the first 90 days are upon us. She is confident the extension will be granted, stating that CC is a relatively young community with many open lots so they are in no current hurry to "close up shop" there. She had mentioned during past phone conversations that there is a woman in NY who has been in the program for over a year (!) so at least I am not the only one having difficulty selling. Again, hubby and I believe strongly that summer is a lousy time to list here in Maine as no one wants to move during the winter. We are hoping for better times after the holidays. In the meantime, it is a b*tch keeping the house presentable every single day. I watch these home staging shows on TV and KNOW my house is no where near as bad as those presented. So we wait.......

Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
EdB

24 posts, read 38,695 times
We visited Longacre Village last summer. We liked the convenient location but had concerns about the fact that there was only one model. It was "For Sale" and the sales person said the builder had to sell it to save money. There were also three other existing homes for sale, which we thought was odd. Last, no clubhouse.
We're only three weeks away from our closing at CC. House looks fantastic and every time we go there, our decision to buy at CC is confirmed by the quality of the work and the super people from McKee and our soon to be new neighbors.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 AM

560 posts, read 804,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdB View Post
We're only three weeks away from our closing at CC. House looks fantastic and every time we go there, our decision to buy at CC is confirmed by the quality of the work and the super people from McKee and our soon to be new neighbors.
I know you must be excited about closing on your new home in just a few short weeks. I wish you happiness and a smooth transition.

We, too, are getting very close to our final settlement. Our date has not yet been confirmed, but we have a tentative plan for Sept. 30, and will move into our new home within 2-3 weeks after that.
Our latest photos taken Thursday show siding is almost complete and the drywall is in place. Interior work is being done now. The builders are working 7 days a week now to make up for the rain and mud delays they had in July.
We have also rented a self-storage place nearby for "incidental stuff" that will eventually end up in the attic.

Construction on our new neighbors' home (directly next door) is also progressing. Looks like they will close a few weeks after we do. Two others on our street are also underway, and a third is reserved pending sale of their old home. Roesville is growing fast!!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM

287 posts, read 473,951 times
Default Gangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant wait to retire View Post
I live in Magnolia and have NEVER heard a word about "gang activity!" I chose to move here from MD where we did have significant gang activity. I live next door to a retired police officer who was the chief hostage negotiator for a major NJ city and he's not aware of a problem here either and after careful research he and his wife chose Magnolia as their 2nd retirement location. I'm a widow and I feel TOTALLY safe everywhere I go in the Dover/Magnolia area.
Thank you for the come-back,good information sir.I,ve visited Magnolia a few times the past 2 yrs and everything looked nice to me.Love the Magnolia Diner too

Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
Gangs i dont want to live there

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM

560 posts, read 804,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Angst View Post
Gangs i dont want to live there
There are rumors of "silver-haired 55+" gangs at Champion's Club and Roesville. Does that frighten you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware